Schefter: Payton struggled w/ QB decision. Players/others disagree w/choice (5 Viewers)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
I doubt he struggled with the decision. It’s been said that Taysom took starter reps all week. It’s not like it was an even split and he announced a starter on Friday.
I agree.

I think this is Sean's moment to remind the world once again why he's an offensive genius. He's waited for this moment for 3 years. He wants to show off his new toy today. This has a lot to do with Sean's ego, let's be brutally honest.

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They’re not dang near even with us when we have a 2-0 advantage on them head to head. We have over an 85% chance right now to win the South. It’s the perfect time to try anything he wants to honestly. But I do understand your point.
I'm sorry you dont know what I'm talking about, bc you are speaking on us tying etc. We are 7 to 7...and Brees may be out 5 games. I get Sean wants to see what he has going forward...just wish he wouldn't do that right now.

This is just too close for that...

Attachments

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
That article is a whole lot of nothing and there are no quotes in it to suggest any type of tensions or issues in the lockeroom because of this decision. Pretty aggressive click-bait by Schefter.

They also spend the entire article saying "sources" told them this is Drew's last year. That is a guess. It's probably true, but it's a guess.
ESPN is trash and we all know it and have known it for several years.

play action

All-Pro
Reaction score
Hill was a college QB. it's not like a al bundy Polk high scenario here. I don't expect drew type quick reads because he's no drew and limited QB snaps but I don't expect emergency QB type disaster either. This is loyalty. Pay your dues and you'll get a shot when\if the time comes kind of thing it seems. That I applaud. Winston could thrive in this offense as well. Maybe even today,but taysom gets the first shot it appears, let's roll.

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Naw, this is just another report, saying the same thing. Jameis is still impressing the hell out of Sean...but...

This decision has absolutely nothing to do with Jameis. In fact, He keeping Jameis held close, so that he can see what he have in Taysom.

Again, is this the time to do that...who knows...but I cant tell you the last time we had the whole world ready to watch us like this...without it being Brees v Brady.

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Troy Aikman said Payton told him some time ago that if Drew went down in a game, Jameis would be his replacement b/c he is a better fit for the kind of game plan the offense runs with Drew, but that Taysom would start if they had a full week to create the kind of game plan that will work for Taysom, so I doubt Payton struggled with this decision. Now, if there is actually internal team dissension about the decision, that would be a real problem, but it would be hard to imagine players being against a QB who plays with the grit and enthusiasm Taysom always brings to the field and who has been on the team now for almost three years, as opposed to less than one for Jameis. Sure, if it doesn't work out and Payton keeps forcing Taysom into the lineup, then it would be a problem, but I have a feeling it's going to work.

BBarnes6182

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I'm sorry you dont know what I'm talking about, bc you are speaking on us tying etc. We are 7 to 7...and Brees may be out 5 games. I get Sean wants to see what he has going forward...just wish he wouldn't do that right now.

This is just too close for that...
Oh no, I completely understand, comprehend, and know what you’re talking about. It’s why I responded with factual information helping your misconception of the standings. All good

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oh no, I completely understand, comprehend, and know what you’re talking about. It’s why I responded with factual information helping your misconception of the standings. All good
Actually, no misconceptions...you took liberties to focus on the "Tie" aspect when...we drop 2, it's done. All good.

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Troy Aikman said Payton told him some time ago that if Drew went down in a game, Jameis would be his replacement b/c he is a better fit for the kind of game plan the offense runs with Drew, but that Taysom would start if they had a full week to create the kind of game plan that will work for Taysom, so I doubt Payton struggled with this decision. Now, if there is actually internal team dissension about the decision, that would be a real problem, but it would be hard to imagine players being against a QB who plays with the grit and enthusiasm Taysom always brings to the field and who has been on the team now for almost three years, as opposed to less than one for Jameis. Sure, if it doesn't work out and Payton keeps forcing Taysom into the lineup, then it would be a problem, but I have a feeling it's going to work.
I saw that same Rich Eisen interview with Aikman. So Sean is holding true to his word... its just that some players AND staff don't agree with the move. I don't think Payton can "lose the locker room" if Taysom tanks today but there's gonna be some side-eyes at Sean if this doesn't work.

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sean put this angle out there to help Jameis not feel bad about not getting the start. He knew what he was going to do as soon as Brees was evaluated. It’s just how do you want your team represented in the media? And keeping up the confidence your guys in case you need them.

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is, Taysom was likely promised that he would get an opportunity to be the guy in the offseason, and he was paid like it. And he was named the #2 QB before the season began.

Winston went in when Brees went down vs. the 49ers. That was also probably understood within the team, as you have to gameplan quite differently when going into a game with Taysom as the guy.

When it comes to coaching, there are a lot of times where there isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' decision. There is a decision to be made, and the HC has to make it. It's up to his players and staff to make him right. That's where being a leader comes in, and Payton is that. As for Taysom, this is his opportunity. He's gotta go make the most of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)