Schefter reporting rob ryan to saints {MERGED} (2 Viewers)

I think, at the end of the day, Sean Payton wants a coach like Gregg Williams running his D - a nasty, aggressive "rebel" type coach. That formula won us a championship and resulted in 41 wins in three seasons. I think the only difference this time around, is he wants someone that runs a 3-4, and this time, he will not give total control to the D.C. If he hires someone else from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree, this to me is the explanation.

We sure have a lot of experts on this message board. I guarantee you if this guy's name was not Ryan, the venom and hate would not be so harsh. This guy can coach, and we should all trust Sean Payton by now.

So what if Ryan doesn't have the perennial top-5 defenses on his resume, look at the teams he's been with. He's never been able to deploy his aggressive-style defense with a top-3 offense on the other side of the ball. Besides, he doesn't need to make us a top-5 defense; if he even improves us just to #20 and forces the offense into mistakes with his aggressive style, that's a SUBSTANTIAL improvement and would likely result in an 11+ win season.

I know the lasting memory we have of Gregg Williams is his failed blitz on Alex Smith that resulted in a 40+ yard gain by Vernon Davis, but we all seem to ignore that it was the same sort of blitz that resulted in Tracy Porter's famous interception return for a TD in the Super Bowl. If Alex Smith doesn't make an uncharacteristic split-second decision and pin-point accurate pass there, we all would have been hailing Gregg Williams as a god that day.

Have you ever thought to consider that maybe Gregg Williams made this defense look better than it is, talent-wise?

Also, let's face it, with the type of fire-power we have on offense, it is going to be very difficult to field a consistent top defense. Why? Because teams will always be playing catchup or trying to keep up with us, and in this QB-friendly league, that will almost always lead to big yards for our opponent. Our defensive philsophy needs to be about being aggressive and forcing mistakes. THAT'S the style that matches with our offense, not the "sit back, let's just play sound defense and let opponents methodically march down the field on us" style. That style, paired with our offense, has won us 1 playoff game in four seasons ('06, '07, '08, '12) and resulted in three non-winning seasons, while Gregg's style, paired with our offense, has won us a SB, 41 games in three years, two 13-3 seasons, four playoff games, and two division titles.

In conclusion, I applaud this hire if it's the direction we go. We need someone like Ryan here. Our defense needs to get its "swag" back.

I agree I think Rob is what we need , we need someone on the defensive side of the ball passionate and has attitude and can get the d riled up its obvious we don't have anyone player on defense that does that

Personally, I think the players will love him if he is hired. I like the fire and spunk he has. Not necessarily a fan, but he has no where to go but up. I don't care for the pressure soley coming from the front 4 when we do not have the talent to do so. Hopefully there will be other players willing to come here with the idea of a realistic chance of winning a Super Bowl next year.

I think, at the end of the day, Sean Payton wants a coach like Gregg Williams running his D - a nasty, aggressive "rebel" type coach. That formula won us a championship and resulted in 41 wins in three seasons. I think the only difference this time around, is he wants someone that runs a 3-4, and this time, he will not give total control to the D.C. If he hires someone else from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree, this to me is the explanation.

We sure have a lot of experts on this message board. I guarantee you if this guy's name was not Ryan, the venom and hate would not be so harsh. This guy can coach, and we should all trust Sean Payton by now.

So what if Ryan doesn't have the perennial top-5 defenses on his resume, look at the teams he's been with. He's never been able to deploy his aggressive-style defense with a top-3 offense on the other side of the ball. Besides, he doesn't need to make us a top-5 defense; if he even improves us just to #20 and forces the offense into mistakes with his aggressive style, that's a SUBSTANTIAL improvement and would likely result in an 11+ win season.

I know the lasting memory we have of Gregg Williams is his failed blitz on Alex Smith that resulted in a 40+ yard gain by Vernon Davis, but we all seem to ignore that it was the same sort of blitz that resulted in Tracy Porter's famous interception return for a TD in the Super Bowl. If Alex Smith doesn't make an uncharacteristic split-second decision and pin-point accurate pass there, we all would have been hailing Gregg Williams as a god that day.

Have you ever thought to consider that maybe Gregg Williams made this defense look better than it is, talent-wise?

Also, let's face it, with the type of fire-power we have on offense, it is going to be very difficult to field a consistent top defense. Why? Because teams will always be playing catchup or trying to keep up with us, and in this QB-friendly league, that will almost always lead to big yards for our opponent. Our defensive philsophy needs to be about being aggressive and forcing mistakes. THAT'S the style that matches with our offense, not the "sit back, let's just play sound defense and let opponents methodically march down the field on us" style. That style has one us 1 playoff game in four seasons ('06, '07, '08, '12) while Gregg's style has won us a SB, 41 games in three years, two 13-3 seasons, and two division titles.

In conclusion, I applaud this hire if it's the direction we go. We need someone like Ryan here. Our defense needs to get its "swag" back.

Well said, and you have certainly swayed my opinion some. And your right, if his name wasn't Ryan, we all may feel differently.

I am still not 100% convinced that the move is good, but you've at least made me stop and think.

I don't know that it's a lock just yet. Sean is still waiting for permission to interview some NFL position coaches. Donatel?

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton told ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on Wednesday that he will interview 2-4 candidates for the open defensive coordinator job, including former Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan later this week.

Payton said while much has been reported about the Saints planning on hiring Ryan, he said there will be a firm decision on the job "within a week."
Sean Payton says 2-4 candidates will be interviewed for New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator job | NOLA.com

Pro Football is my passion and hobby (WATCHING IT), not Coaching/Playing it. If SP makes the decision to hire Mr Ryan, then so be it. Lets see how Ryan likes running a D opposite of a QB who is lightyears ahead of Romo.

It's the trash talk in the press and what not. Not sure what you mean by saying GW was somehow more like Rex and less like Rob. GW didn't have probs with players as far as I've heard, nor really with Payton besides a lousy 3rd season and the entire bounty situation.

Minus out the scandal and he's exactly in the mold of GW. If you woke up frozen caveman NFL fan from a 2 year slumber, he'd tell you they were pretty much same kind of coach.

Actually, Ryan has a bit more history throwing players/rest of team under bus, but he was working for some very bad teams.

I don't hate him, but he's every bit as in the news for dumb things he says as the other guys. Since I wouldn't expect a sliver of a chance of a repeat of GW's negatives, I'd have similar hope for performance out of the defense and a similar turnaround to GW, honestly. I don't personally care for him, but I think he may well do a good job.

Proof please? Where are all of these news articles you speak of?

I'm not gonna dig back through all and maybe overstated his negativity to the players, but the general mouthiness of him is pretty evident and one thing that people love or hate about him. You can see them talking about his "fiery" and "brash" media presence in the articles about his possible hiring bringing in a loud brash coach like Williams. Just last year there was the thing with him saying he wanted to puke over how his defense played when Tebow beat the Cowboys in a comeback. There were one or two flame things after games in Cleveland, too.

Like I said, I don't hate him, and it doesn't really rub me terribly wrong, but if you don't know him as a trash talker in the press, you really haven't been reading sports news. As I said, in a positive sense they call it "brash" or whatnot in every single article about him now. There's no arguing that he's the only other DC in football that would be and is consistently compared to GW.

Also, let's face it, with the type of fire-power we have on offense, it is going to be very difficult to field a consistent top defense. Why? Because teams will always be playing catchup or trying to keep up with us, and in this QB-friendly league, that will almost always lead to big yards for our opponent. Our defensive philsophy needs to be about being aggressive and forcing mistakes. THAT'S the style that matches with our offense, not the "sit back, let's just play sound defense and let opponents methodically march down the field on us" style. That style, paired with our offense, has won us 1 playoff game in four seasons ('06, '07, '08, '12) and resulted in three non-winning seasons, while Gregg's style, paired with our offense, has won us a SB, 41 games in three years, two 13-3 seasons, four playoff games, and two division titles.

I'm not a Ryan fan but that's a good well thought out argument for him. It's swayed me a little. I could be a little prejudiced based on his antics/image/reputation/brother, but we'll see what happens if he is hired.

Sometimes we say, 'It can only get better' when it really could get a lot worse.

Well...in this case...It can only get better.

Ok so he didnt do well in Dallas. Dallas has little delth on D and they were banged up. Meh. Dallas is a house of cards. If you all remember he did give Brees 4 picks and a good amount of time on the turf with limited talent when he was in cleveland. They beat us 30-17 the year we went to the sb. Just saying.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2

Ok so he didnt do well in Dallas. Dallas has little delth on D and they were banged up. Meh. Dallas is a house of cards. If you all remember he did give Brees 4 picks and a good amount of time on the turf with limited talent when he was in cleveland. They beat us 30-17 the year we went to the sb. Just saying.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2

Spags beat us with the rams so that didn't work

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom