Schefter reports that Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

I can't see the Packers budging as easily as Mike Brown did with discontent QB Carson Palmer, who held out and said he'd be willing to retire then play for Bengals.again, then get traded to Oakland because they offer the best trade deal. I think Brian Gutekunst and Lafleur know that Jordan Love may not lead the Packers to another 10-7-11-6 NFC North division title or playoff appearance this season and at this stage of development, his very best may be 9-8 or 8-9 .500 football, but I think they'd rather risk sabatoging maybe a few more wins in a one season than allow Rodgers to dictate terms of where and which teams he's going to play for next. Because they also know Rodgers is at least 3-4 years older than Palmer was a decade ago with his heated, bitter trade ultimatums. Both sides knew, 10 years ago, that eventually a team would need an experienced, Pro Bowl QB at some point during the regular-season and it was a matter of framing the narratives, and getting the best deal.

Packers GM and Matt Lafluer know if they hold their guns, at least for this season, demand for Rodgers may not be that great or widespread if they sit on him for one year and make him miss an entire season. Similar to what Steelers did to Leveon Bell when he decided to hold out the entire 2018 season, demanding a more lucrative contract, which he, ultimately, didnt and up getting with the NY Jets. It's a gamble that would initially be very unpopular with Packers fans in GB and in Upper Midwest, but I could see them considering toying with the possibility. They know that public opinion, while initially harsh, is fickle and changes on matters like these, if Love actually turns out to be a decent replacement and the team plays better-then-expected.

Pittsburgh, a couple of years ago, provided a precedent with not re-negotiating Le'veon Bell's contract out of principle, and while it hurt the team's production on-field in terms of duel-purpose RB helping them win games in 2018 and 2019, respectively. It hasn't hurt Steelers offensive capabilities in the long-run, although good drafting had a lot to do with it and a good, backup RB in James Conner helped out, too.

Last edited:
I can't see the Packers budging as easily as Mike Brown did with discontent QB Carson Palmer, who held out and said he'd be willing to retire then play for Bengals.again, then get traded to Oakland because they offer the best trade deal. I think Brian Gutekunst and Lafleur know that Jordan Love may not lead the Packers to another 10-7-11-6 NFC North division title or playoff appearance this season and at this stage of development, his very best may be 9-8 or 8-9 .500 football, but I think they'd rather risk sabatoging maybe a few more wins in a one season than allow Rodgers to dictate terms of where and which teams he's going to play for next. Because they also know Rodgers is at least 3-4 years older than Palmer was a decade ago with his heated, bitter trade ultimatums. Both sides knew, 10 years ago, that eventually a team would need an experienced, Pro Bowl QB at some point during the regular-season and it was a matter of framing the narratives, and getting the best deal.

Packers GM and Matt Lafluer know if they hold their guns, at least for this season, demand for Rodgers may not be that great or widespread if they sit on him for one year and make him miss an entire season. Similar to what Steelers did to Leveon Bell when he decided to hold out the entire 2018 season, demanding a more lucrative contract, which he, ultimately, didnt and up getting with the NY Jets. It's a gamble that would initially be very unpopular with Packers fans in GB and in Upper Midwest, but I could see them considering toying with the possibility. They know that public opinion, while initially harsh, is fickle and changes on matters like these, if Love actually turns out to be a decent replacement and the team plays better-then-expected.

Pittsburgh, a couple of years ago, provided a precedent with not re-negotiating Le'veon Bell's contract out of principle, and while it hurt the team's production on-field in terms of duel-purpose RB helping them win games in 2018 and 2019, respectively. It hasn't hurt Steelers offensive capabilities in the long-run, although good drafting had a lot to do with it and a good, backup RB in James Conner helped out, too.

It absolutely worked for Bell. He signed a 4 year $52 million contract. He was paid nearly $15 million in the first year and $13 million in the second year of that contract. Money he would not have gotten as a Steeler.

It didn't work for the Jets...because the Jets are the Jets.

Packers GM and Matt Lafluer know if they hold their guns, at least for this season, demand for Rodgers may not be that great or widespread if they sit on him for one year and make him miss an entire season. Similar to what Steelers did to Leveon Bell when he decided to hold out the entire 2018 season, demanding a more lucrative contract, which he, ultimately, didnt and up getting with the NY Jets.

It absolutely worked for Bell. He signed a 4 year $52 million contract. He was paid nearly $15 million in the first year and $13 million in the second year of that contract. Money he would not have gotten as a Steeler.

Did it really work out, in the end? I suppose, in Bell's case, its a matter of perspective.

IIRC, didnt the contract he signed with the Jets in 2019 for quite bit less than what he was demanding the year earlier from the Steelers to tear up his old, rookie contract and give him a lot more money and Pittsburgh didnt budge.
Bell couldve have signed a more lucrative contract with a better, more competitive team, if he really had pushed his case further.

So, yes, on the surface, sure Bell got some of his money in the end, just not the enormous, much bigger contract demands he sat out the entire 2018 season for(and lost his starting RB job). The only thing you can legitimately argue Bell "won" was a new contract, but not the really higher money he wanted (and didnt get from really, anyone). Numbers don't lie, especially in comparing original contractual money demands vs. final actual contract the holdout player gets. His situation was similar to the Eric Dickerson/Rams contract saga in the mid-late 1980's when instead of giving Dickerson a new, larger contract, they just traded him away to some 3rd rate NFL backwater city like Indianapolis.

Last edited:

Counterpoint:

There were three scenarios:
1. Sign the Steelers final offer: 5 years, $70M, $30M guaranteed (basically a two year, $15M per deal, with three option years at about $13.3M each (roughly)).

2. Play under the tag and become a FA in 2019: This pays $14.5M in 2018 and then who knows what he was worth after that.

3. Hold out for 2018 (get $0), and then sign with Jets, where he made about $28M in 2019, 2020.

He made league minimum with the Chiefs in 2021.

There are different perspectives on Bell's situation, but he didn't make more money than he would have with Pittsburgh.

Counterpoint:

1. Sign the Steelers final offer: 5 years, $70M, $30M guaranteed (basically a two year, $15M per deal, with three option years at about $13.3M each (roughly)).

2. Play under the tag and become a FA in 2019: This pays $14.5M in 2018 and then who knows what he was worth after that.

3. Hold out for 2018 (get $0), and then sign with Jets, where he made about $28M in 2019, 2020.

There are different perspectives on Bell's situation, but he didn't make more money than he would have with Pittsburgh.

Scenario #2 also risks Bell potentially suffering a severe on-field, football injury similar to what Dak got last year and was lost for the entire season and he ended up getting a reduced, new contract then what he had been previously negotiating for before his injury. If Bell doesn't play up to what Steelers FO, HC thinks he should under the franchise tag, and he couldve legitimately had another Pro Bowl season, JUST NOT QUITE as dominant as he looked in 2016 or 2017, semantics bullshirt NFL FOs might use to justify again not giving you that new contract and while you might've looked A performance this season under the franchise tag, man, you looked little better the previous 3 seasons before. There so good, clever, and masterful at always changing, rearranging the narrative, using clever, yet dubious semantics-laced arguments saying a near MVP-caliber season a QB or RB had a year before just meet their credentials for a new contract.

Its "corn-cobbing", if you break it down to its fewest, most crude elements to be brutally honest with you. Moving the goalposts is another nicer, less confrontational term.

Counterpoint:

I'll concede option 1 as being the best deal. If he left that on the table, yikes. I think option 2 negates the possibility of injury so it's not really a viable choice since the dispute was aimed at long term deal.

I'll concede option 1 as being the best deal. If he left that on the table, yikes. I think option 2 negates the possibility of injury so it's not really a viable choice since the dispute was aimed at long term deal.

I agree the tag option was a problem due to injury possibility. But I also think it's important to consider that not playing in 2018 had its own cost - Bell was 26 that year that he didn't play.

1623165501196.png

Counterpoint:

He probably should've just signed the deal with the Steelers. He's been a step above average some games and mostly below average the rest of the time since he sat out. Now he's unemployed waiting on the next coat-tail riding contender vet minimum deal.

The Packers have a good organization and if he wants out, let him go. He deserves that for what he has done with the organization. The Patriots have a great winning organization and can win without certain star players. They let Brady go and...oh, never mind. LOL

The Packers are in a "damned if do, damned if don't" scenario with Rodgers and they created it with a hefty help from McCarthy and it trickled to Rodgers (in regard to ego/personality). He has pulled wins literally out of thin air at times and since he was handled with "kid gloves" for so long, there is a reason he is the way he is...although he has always been kinda like that. The man puts it all on the field and is a "heckuva" QB and winner. I thought he had started to decline and he pulls last season off. 48 TD to 5 INTs...geez. 121.5 Qb rating (only 1 pt below his best from 2011 when had 45/6). His best QB rating was 112.2 under those. That is ridiculous. If he holds out, at least the Pack can take some looks at what the future looks like that they wouldn't get a chance to do otherwise and Love gets some important reps. If Love can't impress over Bortles during the limited time, then they know where their bread is buttered.

The Packers have a good organization and if he wants out, let him go. He deserves that for what he has done with the organization. The Patriots have a great winning organization and can win without certain star players. They let Brady go and...oh, never mind. LOL

The Packers are in a "damned if do, damned if don't" scenario with Rodgers and they created it with a hefty help from McCarthy and it trickled to Rodgers (in regard to ego/personality). He has pulled wins literally out of thin air at times and since he was handled with "kid gloves" for so long, there is a reason he is the way he is...although he has always been kinda like that. The man puts it all on the field and is a "heckuva" QB and winner. I thought he had started to decline and he pulls last season off. 48 TD to 5 INTs...geez. 121.5 Qb rating (only 1 pt below his best from 2011 when had 45/6). His best QB rating was 112.2 under those. That is ridiculous. If he holds out, at least the Pack can take some looks at what the future looks like that they wouldn't get a chance to do otherwise and Love gets some important reps. If Love can't impress over Bortles during the limited time, then they know where their bread is buttered.
If I'm the Packer's GM, it will be a cold day in hell before I let Rogers go unless I have an equally competent replacement. He can be disgruntled all he wants. I'm sure he can afford a therapist to share his feelings about the matter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom