Schefter thinks hc job not in cards for Sean in Az (1 Viewer)

"Many have been critical of the New Orleans Saints and their high demands to relinquish Payton's contract."

Look, it costs what it costs. It's the Saints' contract and rights. If you don't want to pay it, try again in 2025. It's that simple.

Meanwhile, you'll have hired Eddie Busterhead as your head coach, and with his 8 -9 record, you'll be stuck when the Payton "free agent" period commences.

I’m starting to think he has overplayed his hand. His representatives were clearly asking for 20 million plus per year. And Mickey has stated from the beginning that a first round pick and then some is the starting point.

I think teams are realizing that there are other good potential candidates out there that will not cost them draft picks, and also save them a bunch of money.

I hate to admit it, but I think we will get screwed in the end.
Wonder if he has the same agent as Ingram. Lol.

Well they do have presumably high value draft picks to lose, not to mention a possibly huge annual contract in terms of money. I'd imagine that's a little offputting to brand new owners of an NFL franchise.
I understand what you’re saying, but the Cardinals have been one of the bottom five or ten franchises for 75 years. Payton could give them a bump in the national consciousness of the NFL.
For a franchise in that position, it’s priceless.
And I may be wrong, but I think the Bidwells have owned the Cardinals since the beginning of time.

And I may be wrong, but I think the Bidwells have owned the Cardinals since the beginning of time.
The Bidwills have owned the Cardinals so long (1932), they have a beef with the (former) NFL Pottsville Maroons over who legit won the 1925 NFL championship.

I understand what you’re saying, but the Cardinals have been one of the bottom five or ten franchises for 75 years. Payton could give them a bump in the national consciousness of the NFL.
For a franchise in that position, it’s priceless.
Ah, I honestly have no idea where I got the new owner thing from lol. But I agree I think Coach would do great there, more than anyone that's been linked to their HC job. But I'm sure the picks and compensation are big in their decision, especially with them still doing interviews with other candidates.

The Bidwills have owned the Cardinals so long (1932), they have a beef with the (former) NFL Pottsville Maroons over who legit won the 1925 NFL championship.

That’s incredible. Never knew any of that. Great find.

I never did like those dang Maroons, or those jokers in Pottsville.

If making contradicting statements from one sentence to the next makes sense, then sure, I guess.
But they aren't. First, AZ had to interview Rooney rule candidates, and most of them are not really in consideration for the job. Now, Payton (who obviously doesn't qualify for the Rooney rule) was interviewed by AZ either because he was the coach they wanted all along, or one of the coaches they were considering for the job. We really don't know which one is it.

If the latter, then all previous interviewees were going to get a 2nd interview and have a chance of getting the job.

If it is the former, then obviously the other interviews were just procedural, but we knew this, since some (if not most) of those interviewees were Rooney rule interviews.

That Payton wasn't hired (or AZ-Saints negotiations didn't start) after the 2nd interview tells you that either Payton wasn't the coach AZ had its mind set on, or that the interview didn't go well and AZ decided to continue with the selection process.

And without knowing if Payton was indeed the coach AZ had its mind set on, Shefter's comments make sense.

If any of these teams in the supposed Payton sweepstakes really wanted Payton, they would have already brought in their minority candidate to interview and then hired Payton a few days later. I don't buy "Oh, we're just doing our due diligence" spin here. Either Payton didn't impress as much as they thought he would, they don't wanna give up that amount of compensation or Payton's not interested enough to leave Fox.

Maybe the sticking point at AZ is their new GM. Sean would want roster control, and the new GM might not want to share power. Or Bidwell is just cheap. If any team could do without a 3rd pick in the draft, it would be the Cards you would think.

so why give up the picks for Payton then 😂

They’re not gonna do it. It makes no sense. Reid built the program, they can easily pivot to Bieniemy or even Spags and keep fortifying the roster with talent.
Those dudes are not Sean Payton

I can see why Cardinals fans would feel that way. They've never won a Super Bowl, they've never retained a coach for more than 6 season (dating back to their time in Chicago and St. Louis!), and the only Super Bowl winning head coach (not counting guys who won as a player or assistant coach) they've ever employed is Bruce Arians, who won the Super Bowl as a head coach /after/ he left the Cardinals.
Well, one of their ex-coaches did do well in St. Louis, but he's more likely remembered for what he did in San Diego with the Chargers and to more knowledgable NCAAF types, for developing his potent, powerful revolutionary passing offense at San Diego St. but before he was hired in Week 3 of the 1978 season, Don Corryel actually was a very successful, highly respected HC's who, while not having the same offensive firepower he would muster in San Diego, had a strong playoff contender with Cardinals for 3 seasons(1974-76) Terry Metcalf, Jim Hart(one of the best, most underrated QB's in NFL history, today, played for almost 19 seasons, altogether), HOF TE Jackie Smith, HOF O-linemen Dan Dierdorf, and future Saints O-linemen for 1978 and 79, Conrad Dobler(Dirtiest Man in the NFL). Some Saints fans on SR.com in their mid-late 50's and early 60's might remember seeing or watching Dobler play in New Orleans as pre-teens or in their early teens, the trade we made for him really solified what had been previously a shaky, terrible O-line.

Honestly, it mystifying why a legendary innovator, offensive genius and guru and HC like Don Corryel isn't in the HOF right now. John Madden always kind of went into mini-tangents about this topic whenever Corryel's name was brought up, under most circumstances.

"Many have been critical of the New Orleans Saints and their high demands to relinquish Payton's contract."

Look, it costs what it costs. It's the Saints' contract and rights. If you don't want to pay it, try again in 2025. It's that simple.

Meanwhile, you'll have hired Eddie Busterhead as your head coach, and with his 8 -9 record, you'll be stuck when the Payton "free agent" period commences.
They must be forced to pay the Iron Price, for what is dead may never truly die.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom