Schein and Gannon just ripped Brees a little per his contract (1 Viewer)

Brees' wife doesn't make tens of millions a year, though. Brady's wife is worth $250 million! I just googled to see what she was worth and that # is way higher than I thought. Wow. Brees deserved every cent he got in that contract, though.

Our offense was out of sync, period, in first month of season and Brees was the main reason for that IMO.

Yes, the O was totally out of sync because Brees missed a mini-camp in shorts in June. It had nothing to do with us missing our HC, who is the offensive genius and works closely with Brees.

You really believe this stuff?

Even if Brady was taking less money, his wife can make up any difference. What other player is in the same situation?

I'm not even a Brady defender but this argument is stupid. If your wife makes a good living at your job does that mean you should make less?

Funny, did Brady restructure in the 2nd year of his huge contract? How about his first huge contract like Brees is on? Or did he wait until his final huge contract was almost up to then grab another 27 million guaranteed over 3 years, 2 of which he'll likely be retired?

Sports journalism being idiotic? Didn't see that coming...wait, nevermind.

Spot on. Plus he got a 30 mil signing bonus for doing it.

I am so sick of Brady being portrayed as some angel. His guarantee's went from 30 million to 57 million and its spread out of 6 years. Yes, it helps in the next couple of years as for cap space, but after that you know it will get redone. I am sure the Pats went to him with this....it looks nice in its packaging, but when its all said an done he still is getting more money

Yes, the O was totally out of sync because Brees missed a mini-camp in shorts in June. It had nothing to do with us missing our HC, who is the offensive genius and works closely with Brees.

You really believe this stuff?

Our defense giving up a gillion points a game in the beginning didnt help either. As soon as the O would find it's rhythm....BOOM....the other team moves right on down and scores.

This caused Brees to force things he should not have, and it caused us to simply abondon the run game.

Meh, 2012 is over thank God. Why keep rehashing it. Lets move on people!

it might more to do with praising brady then putting down brees, but they are right in a way. Drew brees is makng so much money he could drop a few millions to help the team out, he should be more of a leader.

I know we are defending brees and against brady, but why dont we think for the team instead of who's better, drew brees or brady.

Even if Brady was taking less money, his wife can make up any difference. What other player is in the same situation?

Like it or not, Brees and Brady will be compared a lot and this contract situation will come up in terms of perceived leadership. It is unfair but reality. I bet that there is something that can be done by Brees to help out and, if possible, I know he will do his part. Brees wants to win as badly as anyone and doesn't just play for money or he would have failed years ago.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

This line of thinking is ludicrous. Brees made $60M on his previous contract. He could easily have taken another $60M contract and still "fed his kids" without a sugar momma like Giselle.

We are entering Latrell Spreewell territory here.

Again, there is a big difference between total money and guaranteed money. Brady is making sure he's getting all the guaranteed money he can and is sacrificing total money.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but this article from a Cowboys SB nation blog is probably the best write up on this. Everyone complaining read this.

What Tom Brady's Contract Means For Tony Romo - Blogging The Boys

This is they key.

So how do you get a star quarterback to agree to what looks like a significant pay cut? Do you appeal to the goodness of his heart? Do you ask him for a hometown discount? Do you threaten him with not re-signing Wes Welker and other Patriots free agents?

No. You simply guarantee the rest of his contract. The 35-year old Brady's new deal essentially converts his old deal into a five-year contract with $57 million guaranteed. And you know what that sounds like?

That sounds very much like the $60 million guaranteed that the 34-year Drew Brees got when he signed his five-year, $100 million contract. Or the $58 million ($18 million + $40 million contingent on a health check this offseason) the 36-year old Peyton Manning is guaranteed in Denver.

Be still my beating heart! That doesn't sound at all like Brady gave the Patriots any type of discount "to stay competitive".

If Drew did this all of us would be saying how great and unselfish he is. Drew should have taken a little less to keep his team together and show everybody what a real team leader does.
This is a great thing for the Patriots and Brady. Now they can keep Welker and add Mike Wallace, keep Vollmer and sign Reed if they want to.
But We have Drew, he can do it all by himself.

I don't know the details, but it seems like Brady extended the contract by 3 years so the money could be spread out more (on paper) and lessen the cap number.

So if Brees were to take his 100 million (or 120, whatever it is) and add 2 or 3 more years to it... then it would lower his cap number and help the team. It wouldn't actually be a HUGE sacrifice unless he's banking on signing a new, $20 million/year contract at age 37.

Again, I could be completely off-base because I haven't read up on what Brady did... this is more going off of logic and how I think they restructured it.

But yea, in year 2 it may not be easy to approach Brees about that... but who knows. I don't think he's so selfish that he would be opposed to that.

Everyone is jumping on the media for this and rightly so considering the issues it will cause the Pats in Brady's 40 yr old season.

However many here seem to think that Brees' contract has no negative effects on the Saints or that no one should speak of them because Brees can do no wrong. Brees' contract hurts us and handicaps us to an extent. Brees thought he deserved and needs $100M regardless of the implications it may have on the talent surrounding him. That is his decision. I understand it's a business and he wants to get as much as possible which is his right.

However as a fan, I have the right to wish he would have been less Ayn Randish on his contract and realized that he does not truly need $100M, that he could survive on $70M (plus the $60M+ in contracts previously earned and ad money) and then have the team spend more on retaining talent or bringing in outside talent, which is my right.

They have a point. There is a "sweet spot" range where a top quarterback can be handsomely paid but not unduly distort his team's payroll structure under the salary cap. If a quarterback insists on top dollar, he is going to hurt his team, which in turn will affect that quarterback's success on the field and with advertising contracts.

And that Brady's wife has made millions during her modeling career (which should be drawing to an end) seems irrelevant to me. After a certain amount of money, the focus becomes more on ego and status than dollars in the bank. How much does Drew make from his marketing ventures (which will dry up without future success on the field and championships) and his investments?

It wouldn't actually be a HUGE sacrifice unless he's banking on signing a new, $20 million/year contract at age 37.

You mean like the $96M deal a 36 yr old Peyton Manning just signed (with $58M in the first 3 years)?

I promise you that if the Saints approached Brees right now and said we need your help, we will give you an extra $15M guaranteed on your contract if you extend it an additional 3 years, he would laugh in their face.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom