Schlereth giving props (1 Viewer)

So what exactly is he doing when he flips, dives, stiff arms, and helicopters over/through defenders to pick up 1st downs and td's (which can't be denied that he does well)?

like i said before.....reggie is great at avoiding contact...he jukes, spins, "flips, dives, stiff arms, and helicopters" but he doesnt like lowering his shoulder

He often opens himself up to big hits for the sake of converting 3rd downs and crossing the goal line. I can think of games like the Eagles game, multiple Bucs/Falcons games, Steelers, Giants, etc when he has done this. You seem to be ignoring these points.

im not ignoring them....but they play right into my point....in those games he was much better at jumping over or spinning around the defenders than he was at taking a hit and gaining the yard.....this is his problem when he runs up the middle....he tries to run around the defenders rather than lower his shoulder and take the extra yard....sometimes its alright to take a yard rather than bounce it outside....he struggles with this a lot but i guarantee whenever he bounces it outside, everybody's eyes on the other team get a little bit bigger because they know his ability on the outside in the open field

It has also been pointed out a lot that his injuries are not from getting tackled, but from making cuts and moves of that nature. They have had nothing to do with absorbing contact. You seem to just be moving past this as well. Funny thing is, if we have one back who has had trouble absorbing hits and staying healthy, it is our favorite tough guy, PT. For the record, I'm not trying to dog Thomas, just pointing out a gap in logic here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7751/injuries.html

none of those injuries are because of contact? you must be joking

And if you are going to take issue with Bush for not killing himself for that extra yard after getting a 1st down...then you better be ready to question the manhood of most of the league's skill players.

i hate to see players run out of bounds rather than get the exra yard.....doing it once is very different than being known around the league for doing it....QBs invented the slide so they wouldnt get hurt....they arent supposed to run the ball, their job is to look pretty and throw the ball far....running backs and WRs are supposed to be able to take the hits and get the extra yards and regardless of how big or small they are, if they arent able or willing to get the extra yards and take an extra hit then they are considered soft......and there are other players around the league that can be considered soft...but reggie plays for the team i root for and its embarrassing to watch him run out of bounds sometimes

like i said before.....reggie is great at avoiding contact...he jukes, spins, "flips, dives, stiff arms, and helicopters" but he doesnt like lowering his shoulder

Why should he lower his shoulder when he's 5'11'' and barely over 200 pounds????? That's not smart football. He's blessed with athletic ability to jump, dive and all of that stuff so he does it. Every running back isn't a "bowl over, smash mouth" type of player. It's not because he doesn't like to, it's because that style of play doesn't suit his body type.

I've seen Reggie lower his shoulder into a defender, I think anyone who watches the games has seen this as well. I just watched the Detroit game, and I saw him do it in that game.

There's no way you can actually prove if they had gained an extra yard earlier in the drive that Dyson scores.

of course i cant prove it....but they were only 1 yard short...and you can do the math from there....1 extra yard gets them a ring and a place in history

Fighting for that extra yard sure did hurt the Bills Monday night. Cost them the game in fact.

mckelvin was wrong to take it out of the endzone in the first place.....but once again....everybody fumbles....but fumbling excessively makes you look weak and stupid.....there are things you can do to prevent fumbling or at least aid in decreasing fumbles....it wasnt because he was trying to gain more yardage that he fumbled, it was because he got stood up with no blockers and got hit and stripped by 3 defenders

So is it okay for other players to step OOB or just Bush?

once again i dont have a double standard.....but reggie is known for doing it....reggie is notorious for doing it

So basically he's soft because you say he is while you ignore all the contrary evidence. I should've known better to expect any different.

well duh....he obviously isnt soft in your eyes....your definition of "soft" must be different than mine....obviously you think he is as tough as everyone else in the league which is fine with me but dont pretend like my opinion is wrong and yours is right when they are opinions

Why should he lower his shoulder when he's 5'11'' and barely over 200 pounds????? That's not smart football. He's blessed with athletic ability to jump, dive and all of that stuff so he does it. Every running back isn't a "bowl over, smash mouth" type of player. It's not because he doesn't like to, it's because that style of play doesn't suit his body type.

when your only given 18 inches of space to run through there isnt enough room to juke or spin through the line of scrimmage......lowering his shoulder and taking the hit will get him a few yards up the gut as opposed to 14 yards on 7 attempts by bouncing it to the outside

im not ignoring them....but they play right into my point....in those games he was much better at jumping over or spinning around the defenders than he was at taking a hit and gaining the yard.....this is his problem when he runs up the middle....he tries to run around the defenders rather than lower his shoulder and take the extra yard....sometimes its alright to take a yard rather than bounce it outside....he struggles with this a lot but i guarantee whenever he bounces it outside, everybody's eyes on the other team get a little bit bigger because they know his ability on the outside in the open field

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7751/injuries.html

none of those injuries are because of contact? you must be joking

i hate to see players run out of bounds rather than get the exra yard.....doing it once is very different than being known around the league for doing it....QBs invented the slide so they wouldnt get hurt....they arent supposed to run the ball, their job is to look pretty and throw the ball far....running backs and WRs are supposed to be able to take the hits and get the extra yards and regardless of how big or small they are, if they arent able or willing to get the extra yards and take an extra hit then they are considered soft......and there are other players around the league that can be considered soft...but reggie plays for the team i root for and its embarrassing to watch him run out of bounds sometimes

When Reggie dives and jumps, he gets hit hard. He is exposing himself to big hits. He does it when he needs to convert 3rd downs and score. He can't physically push a pile so he jumps, dives, etc. But he doesn't really avoid any contact. In fact, he's an airborne target that you can line a "kill shot" up on. This is not a sign of weakness. Would you rather him try to push a pile of linemen and fail to convert, or lay out and move the chains?

And sure he gets banged up, all running backs do. But the injuries that have made him miss significant time have been knee injuries from cutting and whatnot. What am I missing?

He may be a below average runner, but that guy is definitely not soft. Just because he isn't 230 and can't truck people doesn't mean he isn't constantly putting his body on the line.

when your only given 18 inches of space to run through there isnt enough room to juke or spin through the line of scrimmage......lowering his shoulder and taking the hit will get him a few yards up the gut as opposed to 14 yards on 7 attempts by bouncing it to the outside

Actually most of his carries last week were from running in between the tackles. But yeah.

The things is when people are dumping on a player, they tend to throw every bad label they can find even if it doesn't fit. The whole "can't take a hit" BS is well...BS. Show me ONE time someone laid the wood to him and he played scared the rest of the night. ONE time.

Can't do it, can you?

When Sheldon Brown decleated him, Bush was winded and had to catch his breath, sure. But what happened maybe...2 plays later? He goes right, finds nothing, reverses field and is tackled 40 yards later. And later on he got the endzone on the reverse in a way only he can do it.

I remember when he hurdled over a Tampa Bay player and either Derrick Brooks or #23(can't remember his name) laid him out. He bounced right back up.

Reggie's injuries have NEVER come from being hit, and they've been knee problems, which you can't do a whole lot to prevent.

Stick with lambasting his ability to run the ball, but don't get into the the physical stuff already.

I couldn't of said it any better.
mb

just saw on ESPN mark schlereth picked drew brees as his most impressive player in week 2

thats what i said.....he tries to bounce it outside instead of taking it up the gut like hes supposed to

Except he didn't try to bounce it outside??? Maybe you saw different carries this past week than I did.

Reggie runs out of bounds instead of taking contact and getting the extra yards....it seems like he puts the ball on the ground more than yards he rushes for.....reggie cant take hits....he gets hurt very often.....thats why hes soft......its only a knock to his masculinity....not his football skills

he is a talented player but he is soft.....he is injury prone.....and he does run out of bounds....but he is fast, catches well, and cuts on a dime.....also his stiff arm is something very underrated...id like to see more of it....if you ever get to watch a highlight of him make sure to replay a couple of his stiff arms

This is the most untrue post ever. There is a diffremce between running out of bound to prevent a big hit, and running out of bounds and being safe. Everyone gave reggie crap for running out of bounds when he could have got maybe ONE EXTRA YARD agianst the bears last year. If Brian Urlacher, a Saftey and 2 Corner backs are running straight at you, and you have no blockers, what would you do? I bet you'd go for the yard, because youre a 'realman' right?

It made more sense for him to run out of bounds and not fumble, than take a huge, Chi Bear hit and maybe fumble during a close game where a possession could change the whole game.

i guess one example proves me wrong....you beat me:worthy:

The thing about Reggie is that he will avoid taking a hit in order to pick up an unimportant extra yard or two. However, if you put him in a situation where we need to get a first down, or we're near the goal line...that's when you'll see him putting his body on the line.

He's not the type of player who puts his body on the line for every play...and honestly, with his history of injury, he does need to be careful. But when it matters, you certainly see him do what's necessary.

of course i cant prove it....but they were only 1 yard short...and you can do the math from there....1 extra yard gets them a ring and a place in history

Only if Dyson himself got it. Adding 1 yard to any other play on that drive isn't guaranteed to end with Dyson in the endzone.

mckelvin was wrong to take it out of the endzone in the first place.....but once again....everybody fumbles....but fumbling excessively makes you look weak and stupid.....there are things you can do to prevent fumbling or at least aid in decreasing fumbles....it wasnt because he was trying to gain more yardage that he fumbled, it was because he got stood up with no blockers and got hit and stripped by 3 defenders

Dude, McKelvin fought for that extra yard and got stood up by Merriweather. He was still pumpinghis legs trying to go forward. And like I said before, Adrian
Peterson fumbles a TON so that "weak and stupid" comment is garbage.

once again i dont have a double standard.....but reggie is known for doing it....reggie is notorious for doing it

A lot of players are "known" for things that aren't actually true but the media continues to report them.

well duh....he obviously isnt soft in your eyes....your definition of "soft" must be different than mine....obviously you think he is as tough as everyone else in the league which is fine with me but dont pretend like my opinion is wrong and yours is right when they are opinions

I don't think yours is so much wrong as it is misguided and lacking in logic and reasoning. There's quite a lot of evidence that points to him being tough. Your definition of "soft" apparently is anyone who doesn't run head-first into a brick wall (metaphorically speaking) at any and every opportunity even when it isn't smart.

I'm still waiting on the explanation for Lance Moore who dives to the turf more often than Bush steps OOB.

The 3 carries he bounced outside were plays where there was nothing in the middle. And it resulted in his longest run as well. If he follows the play on all 3, he would've ended up with 6 yards on 7 attempts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom