Scholarships (2 Viewers)

To elaborate, I told him that we planned on helping with college costs providing we have input into his location. I'm not looking to tell him what to go into or where to go, but if I'm gonna pony up my money, he will take full ride to La Tech over a partial something at LSU. If he wants LSU badly enough, he can make that call and subsequently pay for the excess himself. I also would rather him stay in-state due to TOPS (but that funding varies). There are a lot of things that have not been discussed or decided at this point.....but I do know that time is ticking here. It's time to get into gear. Seeing his school councilor is good advice.

My parents paid for my college costs when I grew up. I lived at home, so that helped keep costs down. It was a true blessing to come out with a degree and no student debt. I will try my best to provide that blessing to my two kids. Unfortunately, college costs have soared since I went back in the 90's. I will do what I can. Which is why I'm enquiring about scholarships.....the more he can garner "for free", the less I have to pay. My son his the only chance for a bunch of freebies as my younger daughter is not as blessed acedemically.
How far away is RPCC?

My daughter ran track in HS and again in JUCO. She took honors classes, received free books and the tuition was paid for from track. Because of the honors classes she received additional scholarship and between honors classes and track, she ended up getting everything paid for, plus a check for a few hundred every semester. She's transferring 62 crrdits to a 4 year school to finish up in Kinesiology with zero debt. The only help I gave her was gas money to school (25 miles each way) and room, board, etc. She is currently taking a gap year and one class while she works part time as a teller and saves every penny. She almost has enough to cover her last two years of tuition. The goal here is to finish up debt free before she gets to grad school.

Most JUCOs will collaborate with in-state schools to ensure all credits transfer within a program that lines up with the 4-year school. If this is possible, I'd start there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom