School Shooting in Tennessee (6 killed incl. 3 children) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the key part of the topic that isnt discussed enough

attempting to apply a rational explanation to these type of things is futile

thats the way i see these things, its not the shootings or deaths people have a real issue with its the manner on how they are carried out and the political argument that can be made by these types of events and to some degree who carries them out.

Exactly... and that's exactly why neither side will ever do anything to fix it... sadly, it's huge tool in the political bag on both sides of the crazy

Two other comments

1: The whole "tyranny of the government" thing is just silly in 2023. You and your long gun aren't particularly a match for a drone that's going to shoot a mosquito off your nose from 500 feet (purposeful hyperbole). This is part of the argument for some degree of modernization.

2: Voting is a right as well, yet some are perfectly fine making you jump through more hoops to vote as opposed to owning a gun. I think such comparisons are important for perspective.

Or maybe they were mentally ill and nobody saw it or cared to deal with it. Nobody in their right mind does this sort of thing.

Its possible.

Its also possible that had there been stringent background checks for purchase of assault rifle, there could have been a red flag.

I cant understand after 9/11, how so many folks were perfectly ok with the amount of security put in place to fly on a plane, yet when it comes to purchasing a gun, want next to nothing in the way of security to aid in minimizing acts of terror/mass killing.

i dont get it. I really dont.

We take tests to ( written and proficiency ) drive a car and get a license. We take tests/massive amounts of continuing education to fly a plane. We take tests/put thru background checks to join police force. Shoot folks go thru rigorous background checks to volunteer at Church.

So why is there this resistance to stringent rules/laws regarding ownership of assault-style weapons?

Ive got a simple proposal really...want an AR 15- cool. you are now required to purchase $1,000,000 liability insurance- say $400/yr. Do you know what that insurance company WILL do in order to insure you? Stringent background checks. If you dont want to be subjected to, you dont get the $1,000,000 coverage required to purchase said weapon.

Cant complain about that. Its free market enterprise at work.

The devil is always in the details. For example... I think it's probably prudent to keep people with strong suicidal ideation away from firearms (I actually live this with my kid... i store my 2 guns with a friend 60 miles away, and I keep all knives and medicines locked away). But how do you enforce this from a policy perspective? Do we link medication prescriptions to a background check? Can someone who is successfully managing their depression come off the no buy list?

I think we should probably do something like that... but I'm not sure how to do it without violating privacy rights.

Its possible.

Its also possible that had there been stringent background checks for purchase of assault rifle, there could have been a red flag.

I cant understand after 9/11, how so many folks were perfectly ok with the amount of security put in place to fly on a plane, yet when it comes to purchasing a gun, want next to nothing in the way of security to aid in minimizing acts of terror/mass killing.

i dont get it. I really dont.

We take tests to ( written and proficiency ) drive a car and get a license. We take tests/massive amounts of continuing education to fly a plane. We take tests/put thru background checks to join police force. Shoot folks go thru rigorous background checks to volunteer at Church.

So why is there this resistance to stringent rules/laws regarding ownership of assault-style weapons?

Ive got a simple proposal really...want an AR 15- cool. you are now required to purchase $1,000,000 liability insurance- say $400/yr. Do you know what that insurance company WILL do in order to insure you? Stringent background checks. If you dont want to be subjected to, you dont get the $1,000,000 coverage required to purchase said weapon.

Cant complain about that. Its free market enterprise at work.

You were looking good... Until we hit "Assault Weapon". That's just a buzz / scare word... All Semi-Auto/Auto weapons are "Assault Weapons" in the hands of the wrong person... I can list about a dozen guns that are not the AR15 or an "Assault Weapon" that shoot the same round, have the same mag capacity, and have the same fire rate as an AR platform weapon... No one is looking to ban them - because they have not been deemed the boogey man.

Heck if you have enough money (or get them illegally) you can still get full auto weapons and silencers.

Then you went Insurance? Blah... Yeah, that'll help (no it won't)_... If you only want guns in the hands of rich people and criminals/drug dealers. Because rich people will be the only ones able to afford it, and criminals/drug dealers won't care if they are not following the insurance law. Oh yeah, it also makes insurance companies richer.... all that sound good?

You were looking good... Until we hit "Assault Weapon". That's just a buzz / scare word... All Semi-Auto/Auto weapons are "Assault Weapons" in the hands of the wrong person... I can list about a dozen guns that are not the AR15 or an "Assault Weapon" that shoot the same round, have the same mag capacity, and have the same fire rate as an AR platform weapon... No one is looking to ban them - because they have not been deemed the boogey man.

Heck if you have enough money (or get them illegally) you can still get full auto weapons and silencers.

Then you went Insurance? Blah... Yeah, that'll help (no it won't)_... If you only want guns in the hands of rich people and criminals/drug dealers. Because rich people will be the only ones able to afford it, and criminals/drug dealers won't care if they are not following the insurance law. Oh yeah, it also makes insurance companies richer.... all that sound good?
I think we're talking about school shootings here, not just general gun crime. A lot of these guns are bought legally, so i think if you make the bar higher to buy them legally it will help.

Anecdotal, but nearly every firearms owner I know agrees that firearms are too easy to obtain and would support more restrictive measures to help prevent firearms from being in use by people that shouldn't have them. Now, understanding that politicians don't have this expansive voting demographic to impress, one must ask, why are they not legislating? The age old "follow the money" comes to mind. Lobbying reform is direly needed and not just for this cause.

I think we're talking about school shootings here, not just general gun crime. A lot of these guns are bought legally, so i think if you make the bar higher to buy them legally it will help.

We are... Read the rest of my posts in this thread... and stop driving by. School shooting - while horrific and disgusting - only account for a insanely small number of the children in this country killed by firearms every year.... But for some reason... this specific situation, and this specific weapon is the only time people seem to give a shirt about the poor dead children.

I have said the bar needs to be higher... I have provided sensible options for that. Take a break from clowning all my posts, and read everything I have posted in this thread.

I do think insurance can work to the extent that insurance companies won’t take on an inordinate amount of risk and will want people to take the necessary steps to getting the required insurance to buy a gun, i.e. gun safety courses, proper storage, registration. I mean, it wouldn’t be much different than owning and driving a car.

If it makes insurance companies a little richer, so be it. Also, $400/year or whatever it would be isn’t gonna bust anyone‘s budget. Maybe have to cut their Netflix subscription or something. People would adjust.

Anecdotal, but nearly every firearms owner I know agrees that firearms are too easy to obtain and would support more restrictive measures to help prevent firearms from being in use by people that shouldn't have them. Now, understanding that politicians don't have this expansive voting demographic to impress, one must ask, why are they not legislating? The age old "follow the money" comes to mind. Lobbying reform is direly needed and not just for this cause.
The majority of the country is in favor of more restrictions on firearms, especially semi-automatic ones.

We are... Read the rest of my posts in this thread... and stop driving by. School shooting - while horrific and disgusting - only account for a insanely small number of the children in this country killed by firearms every year.... But for some reason... this specific situation, and this specific weapon is the only time people seem to give a shirt about the poor dead children.

I have said the bar needs to be higher... I have provided sensible options for that. Take a break from clowning all my posts, and read everything I have posted in this thread.
I've read all your posts. I was only responding to that one.

I do think insurance can work to the extent that insurance companies won’t take on an inordinate amount of risk and will want people to take the necessary steps to getting the required insurance to buy a gun, i.e. gun safety courses, proper storage, registration. I mean, it wouldn’t be much different than owning and driving a car.

If it makes insurance companies a little richer, so be it. Also, $400/year or whatever it would be isn’t gonna bust anyone‘s budget. Maybe have to cut their Netflix subscription or something. People would adjust.

You are assuming companies will make this affordable and assume the risk... You're also assuming 1 gun.... Whereas most novice hunters and primary home defenders - Have several. We agree that weapon ownership should require some type of safety course, proper storage, and a person to register it like a car. I am willing to try all of that... But bringing Insurance companies into this.... Is a horrible idea.

Or are only so stricken with anger or appalled when the the kids that are killed... Are killed in a school... By a specific gun... On a single day.... And don't say jack about all the other kids that are killed daily in every major city in the US that are not in school... Not killed by an AR.... and are killed at all times of the day or night. We see them die on the local news every night just here in NOLA by the handful... no one blinks... no one calls for change... no one is screaming to save those kids.

The gun problem in the US goes way beyond school shootings or "mass shootings" that draw the media coverage and pull on heart strings... It doesn't get fixed with bans, or talking points, or selective importance of dead kids. It gets fixed when we as a people stop retreating to our crazy extremes corners every time we have the discussion - and actually start giving a shirt by implementing workable, sensible, and enforceable measures.

I was always told , on this forum, to only attack the post, not the poster… So, ill just say- that’s one of the most utterly MORONIC posts ive seen in a while .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom