School Shooting in Tennessee (6 killed incl. 3 children) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do. It's the same logic that reigns in some of the crazy driving on the streets.

Corporations who insure will set rates according to risk. Requiring insurance to purchase any weapon from a dealer or citizen would all but eliminate same day sales as you need the insurance prior. People who run into trouble with the law will face serious ramifications and possibly lose their weapon.

Private citizens who sell illegally to another private citizen will face the prospect of being uninsurable therefore making them much more selective on who they sell weapons to.

I'd honestly force sales thru a gun dealer rather than allow person to person sales. Dealers can charge a nominal fee for the transaction and insurance verification. DMV type shops will pop up if there's enough need.

I suspect that legally-mandated gun owner insurance would have Second Amendment issues. The program would have be based on a compelling state interest that is sufficiently narrowly defined so as not to interfere unnecessarily on the fundamental right. I suspect such a program would be costly (to owners) and I’m not sure what specific interest it accomplishes within the context of the constitutional analysis.

1. Parents rejected her lifestyle choice (trans/gay). Parents refused to let her use her transitioned name, Aiden, or dress like a guy.
2. Parents are Christian.
3. Police discovered that she planned to harm family/relatives. Maps uncovered in investigation led to this conclusion.
4. Also possibly wanted to target a mall.
5. Apparently had "high functioning" autism. Was being treated for emotional disorder.
6. Still unclear why she targeted the school or the victims.
7. Parents claim to be unaware of stockpile of weapons. Only thought she possessed a single firearm, and that it was sold.
8. Bought 5 out of 7 legally, all from different stores (red flag anyone?!)

Consider the source..

Last edited:
It's a damn shame that this thread has completely forgotten about the 6 lives that were lost yesterday to get to the typical pissing matches we always find ourselves with folks who can't see the bigger picture because of personal feelings. I almost regret starting this thread and am quite tempted to just delete/lock/whatever it.

This country is so forked. :jpshakehead:
I agree grand. So damn tired of the purse swinging of status, choice, 2nd amendment stance, etc.. on all sides.

Freaking pathetic. Prayers sent for the 6 lives lost and families involved.

For the most part I agree but this Twitter thread makes some solid points

I'd guess we're at least a generation away from getting any real movement on this at the national level.. too many people too deeply entrenched for it to happen anytime soon.

Hopefully I am very wrong though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say it again... 30 day wait period on all Sales... Red Flag Laws that would have ID'd this piece of work... Mandatory firearm training to assess / certify the purchaser prior to receipt... Screw insurance companies making more money off this... Someone who does this is not paying premiums or storing anything - They are killing everyone and offing themselves (or death by Cop). Criminals that account for the vast majority of the child killings in the US... are not insuring stolen weapons. The only thing mandating insurance does... is make insurance companies more money until they are sued out of it completely... then dump and run from the whole thing.

Based on what Chuck just posted... the 3 things I keep mentioning would have prevented this.

Last edited:
I'll say it again... 30 day wait period on all Sales... Red Flag Laws that would have ID'd this piece of work... Mandatory firearm training to assess / certify the purchaser prior to receipt... Screw insurance companies making more money off this... Someone who does this is not paying premiums or storing anything - They are killing everyone and offing themselves (or death by Cop). Criminals that account for the vast majority of the child killings in the US... are not insuring stolen weapons. The only thing mandating insurance does... is make insurance companies more money until they are sued out of it completely... then dump and run from the whole thing.

Based on what Chuck just posted... the 3 things I keep mentioned would have prevented this.
Do these suggestions apply to aftermarket and person to person sales? I'd say they should apply to all sales and person to person sales should happen in person at a FFL location. The location would take custody of the gun and hold it for the required 30 day period.

It's a shame we can't require GPS trackers on all guns, and somehow disable the gun if the tracker is removed.

Every gun that is in the hands of a criminal, was initially sold legally. Pretty much every gun on the street passed through the hands of a "responsible gun owner" at one point.

Do these suggestions apply to aftermarket and person to person sales? I'd say they should apply to all sales and person to person sales should happen in person at a FFL location. The location would take custody of the gun and hold it for the required 30 day period.

Yes - All sales go though FFL dealer (They already exist everywhere and have the tools to to this) - All of them. That's for legal ownership... Nothing we can do about those that won't follow any law on the books... Except to actually enforce those laws and actually prosecute and lock them away.

Last edited:
30 day wait period on all Sales... Red Flag Laws that would have ID'd this piece of work... Mandatory firearm training to assess / certify the purchaser prior to receipt...
I think those are also common sense, middle of the road things that many people would support unfortunately they're just as DOA as anything else. Just too many politicians residing in districts where it's politically advantageous to stay in favor of the status quo.

I'd guess we're at least a generation away from getting any real movement on this at the national level.. too many people too deeply entrenched for it to happen anytime soon.

Hopefully I am very wrong though.
Not to sidetrack a serious discussion, but dude, your avatar. I am currently listening to AIC unplugged. Just noticed that's Layne from the Man In The Box video.

After reading that Washington Post article about the rounds and impact, I wonder if an easy 1st step might be to restrict the type of ammo accessible for civilian rifle use.

If the rounds being high velocity makes them that much more deadly, then regulating the muzzle velocity for that ammo would arguably make the rounds less deadly. Therefore, you'd have more survivors and less danger to LE who are responsible for stopping a perp.

IDK, if it would really help that much overall. It seems like the kind of thing that might be possible as no one is losing access to the weapon and seems no more restrictive than saying no full auto.
Good point, but I still let's restrict round capacity. Why do I need a Tommy gun to hunt deer or protect my home.
I do think the 2nd amendment needs adjusting.

The above said I fired a Thompson sub .45 with a 100 round barrel. once. It was fun . Would I use it at a school?
Hell no. Mental illness is the real problem. Most insurance doesn't cover it. Why is that? Preaching against banning
the 2nd amendment is barking up the wrong tree. Take this advice from an old staunch moderate.

It's a damn shame that this thread has completely forgotten about the 6 lives that were lost yesterday to get to the typical pissing matches we always find ourselves with folks who can't see the bigger picture because of personal feelings. I almost regret starting this thread and am quite tempted to just delete/lock/whatever it.

This country is so forked. :jpshakehead:
I hear you. I think part of it is we've been through this before, and people are clearly tired of the whole T&P thing that just makes them more jaded. And at least for me, it was hard to know how to respond to it without learning more about what happened which was today. First pictures I'm seeing of the victims a few hours ago. Just so sad.

It's terribly heartbreaking. 3 60 year olds and 3 9 year olds. And one clearly mentally disturbed individual.

I'm surprised it wasn't worse tbh. The shooter had more than enough to kill a lot more people. Took the cops less than 5 minutes to sweep the first floor and take down the shooter on the second floor. Makes me wonder how Uvalde turns out with that sort of response time.

I think those are also common sense, middle of the road things that many people would support unfortunately they're just as DOA as anything else. Just too many politicians residing in districts where it's politically advantageous to stay in favor of the status quo.

Agreed... What it will take is to torpedo binary thinking on this in the election cycles by the public (Stop voting for the various tools in the "Ban all guns crowd" and in the "No Laws for Guns at all crowd")... As long as we allow them to turn these tragedies into only divisionary food for human like ostriches... we get nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom