School Shooting in Tennessee (6 killed incl. 3 children) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because too many Meal Team Six members have a military fetish.
I would really love to have a tommy gun. I'm not a rich man, so I have better ways to spend my money.

I do agree with you. There are a lot of responsible AR 15 owners out there that will not use them to shoot up schools.

I doubt we agree on regulation.

I think we should ban the manufacture of new firearms for 20 years.
Nonsense. Banning objects/weapons has stopped mass killings in other countries and would do the same here. The 2nd Amendment as currently interpreted is NOT working.
Until the 2A is altered or eliminated, you're not going to get support from gun owners on banning guns. I do think you might get enough on board with an assault weapons ban, which I think the previous iteration was fairly effective.

The same applies with banning the manufacture of guns. The courts would strike that down in short order unless the 2A is modified or eliminated. And I don't see gun owners supporting that.

Regardless whether you agree with them or not, you'll need buy in from gun owners to see laws passed increasing the regulation of firearms. Nothing is gonna happen without building bridges and meeting them halfway. Maybe over time, you get more buy in from more gun owners.

Last edited:
Current politics and judiciary makeup is already a significant barrier to reform and regulation; it's a dead-end to taking on the second amendment. It's not getting abolished or amended so we have to figure out how to operate within interpretations.

I do think it's clear that the approach we've taken with regards to 2A has set us on a devastating and unsustainable path that we could have, and should have, avoided. It is asinine, and a failure in our own responsibilities, to rely on the antiquated and extremely limited world view of this nation's founders, in trying to navigate and address modern problems. What men of the 1700s thought of the importance of militias and guns isn't, and never should have been, an indisputable approach to guns, forever. If we are going to assume what they intended, I would say it's far more the case that they expected people of their own times to figure out how to govern themselves through challenges, rather than perilously subjugating themselves to people and ideas of hundreds of years ago.

Until the 2A is altered or eliminated, you're not going to get support from gun owners on banning guns. I do think you might get enough on board with an assault weapons ban, which I think the previous iteration was fairly effective.

The same applies with banning the manufacture of guns. The courts would strike that down in short order unless the 2A is modified or eliminated. And I don't see gun owners supporting that.

Regardless whether you agree with them or not, you'll need buy in from gun owners to see lawd passed increasing the regulation of firearms. Nothing is gonna happen without building bridges and meeting them halfway. Maybe over time, you get more buy in from more gun owners.

yea, i think we need to amend the 2nd amendment.

I don't think all gun owners are the same.

The people who own 1 or a couple of guns for hunting or whatever aren't the same as the people who own a dozen or more guns that they consider prized possessions.

Regular gun owners shouldn't be lumped together with people who believe they need their guns to protect them from tyranny. Trying to change those people's minds is a waste of time.

apples and oranges.

There aren't black market gun factories. Every single gun used in a crime was manufactured legally, and sold to a "responsible gun owner" the first time.
A lot of guns are manufactured overseas, so you'd have to address that as well. Keeping guns out will be about as effective as keeping drugs out tho.

Let's try and find out.

I would argue that the two industries are totally different. It would be much more difficult to illegally manufacture firearms and sneak them into the country than drugs.
Eh, guns have long been smuggled into the US in addition to drugs. Criminals will find a way. It's certainly a more difficult logistical challenge, but it can be done.

A lot of guns are manufactured overseas, so you'd have to address that as well. Keeping guns out will be about as effective as keeping drugs out tho.

There will still be plenty of guns in the US available to be bought. We have about 500,000,000 guns in the US right now.

Guns aren't a consumable like drugs are.

ChatGPT said it's estimated that about 300,000 guns are smuggled into the US each year. This is about 3% of the total number of guns produced/imported in the US. Even if that went up 10x, it would still be better than the situation we have now.

I think we have more than enough guns in circulation to meet whatever demand a black market gun market would be trying to find.

Smuggling would be a problem - I'm assuming it is in countries that have weapons bans/restrictions in place - but I wouldn't expect the ease and scale to be the same as with drugs.

It quite literally is that simple. Ban the AR15 and other assault weapons. To not do so at this point is lunacy.

Yup, it's kind of pathetic to see the arguments against this (of which there are none that I can take seriously).....but I think the most ridiculous is that our country is somehow so different, and guns are woven into our society or some other such nonsense or that somehow gun smuggling will offset any gains from doing so.....

Many other countries have implemented these types of bans and they prove to be effective but for the above reasons, the US shouldn't even try?

Biggest pile of BS I've ever heard.....

Smuggling would be a problem - I'm assuming it is in countries that have weapons bans/restrictions in place - but I wouldn't expect the ease and scale to be the same as with drugs.
Sure, maybe not now, but I wouldn't be surprised if gun manufacturers pick up and move to a country where they can operate freely and the ease and scale would change pretty quickly.

Sure, maybe not now, but I wouldn't be surprised if gun manufacturers pick up and move to a country where they can operate freely and the ease and scale would change pretty quickly.

I don't mean the scale of manufacturing - but of shipping and importing illegally. There are significant differences between drugs and guns that would make detection, alone, easier in comparison. Far from perfect, but I don't think smuggled guns would rival smuggled drugs, and certainly wouldn't rival the flood of currently legally manufactured and sold weapons.

Of course this tangent is highly hypothetical as it is.

Let's try and find out.

I would argue that the two industries are totally different. It would be much more difficult to illegally manufacture firearms and sneak them into the country than drugs.

Why would you think the cartels wouldn't start mass producing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom