School Shooting in Tennessee (6 killed incl. 3 children) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, it's kind of pathetic to see the arguments against this (of which there are none that I can take seriously).....but I think the most ridiculous is that our country is somehow so different, and guns are woven into our society or some other such nonsense or that somehow gun smuggling will offset any gains from doing so.....

Many other countries have implemented these types of bans and they prove to be effective but for the above reasons, the US shouldn't even try?

Biggest pile of BS I've ever heard.....
Yeah I just don't get it either. Every idea for a possible solution is met with, "Wouldn't work because of (reasons)." Well what are we supposed to do? Are we just going to throw our hands up and say there's nothing that can be done? The same country that put a damn human being on the moon can't figure out that it's probably not a great idea for regular people to have assault weapons?

I don't understand how everyone is in agreement that your average citizen shouldn't be able to buy fully automatic machine guns or hand grenades but when it comes to assault weapons it's so complicated.

I wonder what our forefathers responsible for the Second Amendment would think if they could see our country now? I wonder if they would double down or be like, "Umm...we were talking about flintlock pistols and muskets, not these murder machines."

Why would you think the cartels wouldn't start mass producing?

yea we need to do something about 3d printing and AI too. Not just about guns, technology is a problem, and our political system is such a failure that we can't keep up.

yea we need to do something about 3d printing and AI too. Not just about guns, technology is a problem, and our political system is such a failure that we can't keep up.
Agreed but that doesn't address the point I made

The cartels would do no such thing.

Do you notice he calls them art and they never show what it hits?

I am not saying this couldn’t become a problem in the not so near future, but I have extensive knowledge of composites and their capabilities.

currently printing out anything that has moving parts, or transfers heat (wire, conduit etc) is not practical for real world use.

The tensile strength of the material fades quickly under high heat - either a fiberglass pultruded polymer for big, strong pieces (these are manufacturers with proprietary mixes so not easy to set up on your own and ridiculously expensive) or just plain old plastic coil for most - like what he made those out of.

Guns that are printed are show pieces that can be fired sparingly. If you tried to operate that in the real world you would quickly know why nobody uses them. I don’t need to tell the board about how hot the barrel gets. It would be horribly inaccurate and the weapon’s barrel would become malleable before the end of the second clip. It would in no time at all have the barrel collapse enough to jam.

In a situation where you want to fire a single shot, they can be useful. But they are not practical for tactical or even personal protection now.

It's a different problem.

We shouldn't just give up on regulating anything because guns can be 3d printed.
I haven't said anything about being against regulations. However it is irresponsible and short sighted to not address or be proactive about the obvious consequences of certain (not all) regulations that people are advocating for. Otherwise, for the most part, you are just taking the guns out of the hands of people who aren't the problem which doesn't solve anything

I haven't said anything about being against regulations. However it is irresponsible and short sighted to not address or be proactive about the obvious consequences of certain (not all) regulations that people are advocating for. Otherwise, for the most part, you are just taking the guns out of the hands of people who aren't the problem which doesn't solve anything

I'm not trying to take guns away from anyone. I just said we don't need any new ones. There are already 1.5x as many guns as people in the US. 500 million guns is enough, we don't need any more.

You are bringing up 3d printed guns and acting like if we don't have a solution for that, then we shouldn't try to do anything.

The cartels would do no such thing.

Do you notice he calls them art and they never show what it hits?

I am not saying this couldn’t become a problem in the not so near future, but I have extensive knowledge of composites and their capabilities.

currently printing out anything that has moving parts, or transfers heat (wire, conduit etc) is not practical for real world use.

The tensile strength of the material fades quickly under high heat - either a fiberglass pultruded polymer for big, strong pieces (these are manufacturers with proprietary mixes so not easy to set up on your own and ridiculously expensive) or just plain old plastic coil for most - like what he made those out of.

Guns that are printed are show pieces that can be fired sparingly. If you tried to operate that in the real world you would quickly know why nobody uses them. I don’t need to tell the board about how hot the barrel gets. It would be horribly inaccurate and the weapon’s barrel would become malleable before the end of the second clip. It would in no time at all have the barrel collapse enough to jam.

In a situation where you want to fire a single shot, they can be useful. But they are not practical for tactical or even personal protection now.
1) Accuracy isn't as important when indiscriminately firing an automatic weapon
2) That video just proved your statement about a single shot to be completely false
3) The vast majority of these shootings are at close range and not specific targets. The gun doesn't need to be very accurate even if it is semi-automatic

I think the counterpoint would be "why aren't they already"? 3D printed would be cheaper and more difficult to trace, wouldn't they? I don't actually know how all of that works.

No one here is advocating for nothing to be done (from what I have read)... All the measured and logical responses have been about adding regulations that have a high probability of working (like the ones we have for cars, boats, planes, etc), without going into our predisposed ideological corners and taking our ball with us...

Last edited:
I'm not trying to take guns away from anyone. I just said we don't need any new ones. There are already 1.5x as many guns as people in the US. 500 million guns is enough, we don't need any more.

You are bringing up 3d printed guns and acting like if we don't have a solution for that, then we shouldn't try to do anything.
We can have a decent discussion without you resorting to twisting my words or misrepresenting what I said.

In my post you quoted, I literally said I am not against regulations and I also said that it was only certain regulations that people are advocating for that would cause this.

I am assuming you read my post completely before you responded so how does me saying I am not against regulations mean that we shouldn't try anything?

I think the counterpoint would be "why aren't they already"? 3D printed would be cheaper and more difficult to trace, wouldn't they? I don't actually know how all of that works.
Lack of market at the moment....the point is that certain regulations that some are advocating for would create that market

1) Accuracy isn't as important when indiscriminately firing an automatic weapon
2) That video just proved your statement about a single shot to be completely false
3) The vast majority of these shootings are at close range and not specific targets. The gun doesn't need to be very accurate even if it is semi-automatic
Ok, we'll also add into the legislation regulation on 3D-printed firearms.

Can we get back to the real world now?

Ok, we'll also add into the legislation regulation on 3D-printed firearms.

Can we get back to the real world now?

Yes because the cartels would give a damn about our regulations against 3D printed firearms.

The irony of you saying "Can we get back to the real world now?" :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom