School Valedictorian Stuns Audience (1 Viewer)

I'm fine with it as well, I just think it's silly that he was upset that there was no prayer at his graduation. The reasons why it's not there are painfully obvious, so to label this guy a "hero" and applaud when he does what he does is just silly. As stated a couple of posts ago, had he lead the crowd in a muslim prayer he probably would have not been cheered or labeled as a hero by so many.

Or if he tore up his speech and said "Heck with it - I'm gay!"

Would have been a hell of a way to come out.

My philosophy is that prayer by it's nature is very personal and as such should be done alone. I meditate daily but when on the job I do not ask my coworkers to join me. Except in religious ceremonies of course, for people to make a very public display of prayer is IMHO in poor taste. These displays come off like they're really trying to convince themselves of their devotion to their faith. Just my opinion FWIW.

I would have only been impressed with his "bravery" if he had done this in Iran, but then wouldn't it have also been very stupid?

Saying a prayer in South Carolina is no brave feat.

He obviously is a smart kid, but I wonder how much smarter he would have been if he was given books by Stephen Hawking growing up instead of the Bible and other prayer books.

Ironic that he should recite the Lord's Prayer, especially considering its appearance in the gospel of Matthew is immediately preceded by:

"5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

And I doubt anyone was appalled by his public display of personal theology. He wasn't risking arrest for it. He wasn't going to be stoned like it was the 1st century A.D., when Christians risked death for their beliefs.

Seriously folks, our bar for "heroics" shouldn't be this low or misguided.

Or if he tore up his speech and said "Heck with it - I'm gay!"

Would have been a hell of a way to come out.

didn't something similar happen. i think a basketball player came out that he was homosexual.

I think the valedictorian should be able to say whatever he wants in his speech - as long as it is appropriate (meaning not obscene). If he's moved by the Lord's Prayer, that's his prerogative. He earned it.

That's not the same as prayer in school, it isn't endorsed or formalized by the school system. It's the viewpoint of a particular student who earned his right to give a personal speech.

I don't really get why it's a big deal either way. Sure, I suppose that if you're one of those Christians who detests that schools no longer say Christian prayers, I can see how this is something you would celebrate . . . but again, this isn't some sort of loophole or end run around the prohibition on public schools endorsing a particular theology.

didn't something similar happen. i think a basketball player came out that he was homosexual.

While not "heroic" it's a lot braver to admit that you are gay in America than to publicly declare that you are a Christian. The basektball player risked being ostracized by the NBA and the players in the league. And risked losing any endorsements he had. This kid was risking nothing.

Similar in that two different people would perform the same act of coming out? In that sense, yes, I suppose it is similar. :shrug:

Ironic that he should recite the Lord's Prayer, especially considering its appearance in the gospel of Matthew is immediately preceded by:

"5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

And this is why I've always been very uncomfortable with public prayer. It's always felt more like a "Look at me!" exercise than anything remotely approaching something personally spiritual.

He obviously is a smart kid, but I wonder how much smarter he would have been if he was given books by Stephen Hawking growing up instead of the Bible and other prayer books.

So much hilariously wrong with this post that I don't even know where to start.

Did I miss the tearing up of the speech? Just looked like he read off the same piece of paper before and after.

As a student speaking at his ceremony, I fully support his right to say that prayer if he wanted to; just like anyone else would be able to talk about heroes, or "we've only just begun," or "this is our time and our opportunity to put our mark on the world!!" or whatever else is usually said. I do think his "heroic" protest was mislabeled.

Did I miss the tearing up of the speech? Just looked like he read off the same piece of paper before and after.

As a student speaking at his ceremony, I fully support his right to say that prayer if he wanted to; just like anyone else would be able to talk about heroes, or "we've only just begun," or "this is our time and our opportunity to put our mark on the world!!" or whatever else is usually said. I do think his "heroic" protest was mislabeled.

Supposedly you have to click another link from there to watch the hero rip up his speech. I don't care enough for all that.

I don't really think anyone is calling this kid a hero other than the writer for that site and those who subscribe to it. This was under the article:

Looking for breaking news and commentary on the stories that matter to you? Start your two week free trial with TheBlaze TV today and tune in every night for The Glenn Beck Program, Real News, Wilkow! and more

This kid was risking nothing.

Not true!

He risked qualifying for this scholarship:

SPRING HILL, Tenn. – A Tennessee high school student has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship by an atheist group for dressing like Jesus Christ on the school's "fictional character day."

Jeff Shott, a sophomore at Summit High School, was not disciplined for his action back in January, but Principal Charles Farmer did advise him that if the costume caused a distraction during the day he would have to remove it. Shott voluntarily removed his robes and sash, a costume that included a hammer and nail.

But Shott's pluck was not overlooked by the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the organization, located in Madison, Wis., said Shott exhibited "spunk and a light touch with his actions."

Student dressed as Jesus earns atheist scholarship

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom