Schoolchildren taught praise song about Obama (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it makes you feel better to attack me on a script written in your own head, please don't allow me to disabuse you of any notions. Your words smack far more of racism than anything I could ever post--and I don't play racial games, thank you.

I do have to ask, however, what is racial about "equal work for equal pay?" Women have been earning approximately 30% less for equivalent jobs for decades. Nurses are paid significantly less than other medical professionals, even when they have Ph.Ds. Teenagers earn less than adults, even when they both work in fast food or other restaurant industries. Equal pay is not a "race" issue; it's an "everyone" issue. However, I repeat: the concept is inappropriate for the age of the students singing the song. These children have no idea what constitutes the proper amount of pay for any kind of work, let alone why equality in pay scales is important. They are simply conduits, in that the words flow through them without any kind of understanding on their part. Put the same words in the mouths of students grades 8-12 and I have far less trouble with it.

Indoctrination starts when children are very young. It starts when they lack understanding of certain concepts and gets them used to stating them until they become part of the children's belief systems. I grant you, the equal pay issue is *not* of concern in terms of indoctrination. It *is* an important concept that people need to understand, but only after it is age appropriate (one indication of an appropriate curriculum is it being age appropriate, btw). My concern more or less rests on the "in his sight" thing, the lauding of *presidential* accomplishments not yet attained, and the teacher's production of a video that would be more appropriate in a classroom in Tehran. It *is* only one video and I don't see the point of getting hysterical about it; however, I also feel that you can't simply ignore it because it "only happened once." Now that it is a public event, it needs to be addressed as being inappropriate so that it does not become a regular event in that school ("well, SHE did it, so I can do x"), in that school district or system, or in any other areas touched by them.

Your indignation is painfully funny and your little tirade laughable. I asked a simple question regarding what was wrong with equal pay for equal work and framed it with race, sex or ethnicity as differences and you act appalled. First, get your panties a little bigger and next realize nobody attacked you.

Perhaps there is a treatment for your feelings of being persecuted. It's a recurrent theme with you though, as of yet, I've not read anything approaching a basis for it. In fact, your tirade as shown above, is a little bizarre as far as me being a racist. I take it as an attack and personal insult.

thats interesting. can you complete the analogy and link to where parents kept their kids home from school because Bush was speaking, and teachers receiving death threats from President Bush's detractors?

where y'at superfan? i am really anxious to hear about how the fear and hatred currently directed towards Obama is equivalent to what Bush Sr encountered.

Maybe because religion is faith, not brainwashing? Keep the discussion on topic, please, and don't bash religion, okay? It has nothing to do with the discussion.
Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and emulating his example gets you into heaven.
Santa Claus brings toys to all good boys and girls.
The Tooth Fairy will bring you money if you leave your tooth under a pillow.
The Easter Bunny hides eggs and leaves baskets of candy for kids.

All of these require a degree of faith to accept. Young children accept all of these beliefs because authority figures tell them it's true. Years later they learn that they're all false and they feel silly for believing them to be true. All of these lies have more of an impact on their lives than a class of kids singing about the current President. I'm just suggesting that perhaps the outrage would be better spent on a more pressing matter when there are many other ways in which or children are lied to, told falsehoods, prosthelized to, brainwashed, etc. or whatever word you choose to use. That's all.

I don't consider religion to be indoctrination. I live my life according to my faith; I don't expect my children to follow the president as if he is God. So no, they are not the same in my eyes. However, I am very disturbed by the ugly turn this thread is taking--it seems that if you can't win based on logic, then you are going to try to "win" by attacking the fundamental beliefs of the people who disagree with you. That's shameful and you should be embarrassed by that very low tactic, which I'm sure is beneath you.
I might not consider water to be wet, but that doesn't stop me from getting soaked if I stand outside during a rainstorm. You can't simply choose to not call religion indoctrination when it's the very definition of indoctrination. Regardless of the deity you worship, followers are taught to accept what can not be proven and/or what may not make sense and not question the logic of it.

If you insist on using logic, try not to contradict yourself in the very same post.

If a song was taught to your elementary school child saying Jesus Christ is the Son of God, would you feel that it was inappropriate, or "no big deal"? My faith is very important to me, but I see how that sort of song would be inappropriate based on the fact that many do not share my beliefs, not based on my OWN personal beliefs. If I want to teach my children my faith, I do it at home.
Yeah, I would not be very happy and here's why: Obama is a current, sitting President. Like any sitting president he will be used in numerous examples when discussing how our government works, political theories, policy decisions, etc. and that's why we send children to school. Just like I'm not happy when my daughter comes home and says she can no longer cheer for LSU because her favorite teacher is an Auburn grad (Thank goodness we got that straight).

We do not send children to publicly funded schools to learn about Jesus, Allah or Loki...

or War Eagle. :)

I got a fund raising letter from the RNC today using this video and blaming Obama for it then asking for money to help combat the Obama propaganda. :9:

/thehighroad
Well I drank Michelob Porter with beef and shrimp kebobs today.

/beatthat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom