Science! (6 Viewers)

Cool discovery. Its funny to think that there are concrete buildings over there that have been standing for 2000 years but wouln't pass structural code here.

Just the increase in speed is something to note. I can get my big concrete project done faster? Yes, please.

Microsoft has unveiled an AI voice simulator capable of accurately immitating a person’s voice after listening to them speak for just three seconds.

The VALL-E language model was trained using 60,000 hours of English speech from 7,000 different speakers in order to synthesize “high-quality personalised speech” from any unseen speaker.

Once the artificial intelligence system has a person’s voice recording, it is able to make it sound like that person is saying anything. It is even able to imitate the original speaker’s emotional tone and acoustic environment.

“Experiment results show that VALL-E significantly outperforms the state-of-the-art zero-shot text to speech synthesis (TTS) system in terms of speech naturalness and speaker similarity,” a paper describing the system stated………

The global loss of pollinators is already causing about 500,000 early deaths a year by reducing the supply of healthy foods, a study has estimated.

Three-quarters of crops require pollination but the populations of many insects are in sharp decline. The inadequate pollination that results has caused a 3%-5% loss of fruit, vegetable and nut production, the research found. The lower consumption of these foods means about 1% of all deaths can now be attributed to pollinator loss, the scientists said.

The researchers considered deaths from heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and some cancers, all of which can be reduced with healthier diets. The study is the first to quantify the human health toll of insufficient wild pollinators……..

Microsoft has unveiled an AI voice simulator capable of accurately immitating a person’s voice after listening to them speak for just three seconds.

The VALL-E language model was trained using 60,000 hours of English speech from 7,000 different speakers in order to synthesize “high-quality personalised speech” from any unseen speaker.

Once the artificial intelligence system has a person’s voice recording, it is able to make it sound like that person is saying anything. It is even able to imitate the original speaker’s emotional tone and acoustic environment.

“Experiment results show that VALL-E significantly outperforms the state-of-the-art zero-shot text to speech synthesis (TTS) system in terms of speech naturalness and speaker similarity,” a paper describing the system stated………

I could see this causing a lot of trouble.

I could see this causing a lot of trouble.
1984 is right around the corner. Combined with catastrophic climate change and melting snow caps, the resulting collapse in world wide economy, I'm glad I don't have that much time left.

1984 is right around the corner. Combined with catastrophic climate change and melting snow caps, the resulting collapse in world wide economy, I'm glad I don't have that much time left.
I have to say recently I have wished I did not have much time left... both from the ills of the world and those in my own personal life.

I have kids though, so I can neither accept the inevitably of this world's downfall, nor be in a hurry to depart.

I have to say recently I have wished I did not have much time left... both from the ills of the world and those in my own personal life.

I have kids though, so I can neither accept the inevitably of this world's downfall, nor be in a hurry to depart.
Yeah that's a different story and I completely get it. I don't mean to say that I don't care because I won't be here. I do care a lot.
I'm only glad that I won't be around for the chaos and suffering. I don't have kids of my own but I do family and friends that I love and care about.

For years, scientists and health advocates have tried to bring attention to a secret source of air pollution sitting in 40 million homes around the United States — which jump-starts childhood asthma, increases the risk of respiratory problems, and emits planet warming-gasses.

It’s the gas stove.

And now, those efforts seem to be gaining traction. On Monday, Richard Trumka Jr., one of the four commissioners of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, said in an interview that the agency was considering a ban on gas stoves — or, at least, standards around the amount of toxic fumes such stoves can spew into Americans’ kitchens.

Some cities — including Los Angeles, Seattle and New York — have already moved to ban gas stoves in certain new homes and apartments.

Kathy Hochul (D), the governor of New York, has also proposed banning gas hookups, including for gas stoves, in new buildings in the entire state.

All cooking creates some form of air pollution. But gas stoves are burning natural gas, a mix of methane and other chemicals. That means that when a gas stove is on, it releases not only fine pieces of particulate matter that can invade the lungs, but also nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide and formaldehyde — all of

which have been linked to various health risks.
Scientists have identified nitrogen dioxide, for example, as contributing to childhood onset of asthma and worsening asthma symptoms.

According to one study, children living in a household with gas stoves have a 42 percent increased likelihood of already having asthma and a 24 percent increased risk of developing asthma at some point in their lifetime.

Last week, scientists from the clean energy think tank RMI estimated in a peer-reviewed study that 12.7 percent of childhood asthmas could be attributed to living in a household with a gas stove.

Some scientists have compared the risks of gas stove use to having a smoker in the home…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom