Science! (2 Viewers)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
It's about time that we had a thread devoted to cool science news. I'm always seeing interesting articles about various science related news and I know I'm not seeing half of what's out there. Let's kick it off with this tough bug:

Reaction score

A pump cycles the solar thermal fuel through transparent tubes. When sunlight makes contact with the fuel, the bonds between its atoms are rearranged and it transforms into an energy-rich isomer. The sun's energy is then captured between the isomers' strong chemical bonds.

Incredibly, the energy stays trapped there even when the molecule cools down to room temperature. To put the trapped energy to use, the liquid flows through a catalyst (also developed by the research team) creating a reaction that warms the liquid by 113 °F (63 °C). This returns the molecule to its original form, releasing energy in the form of heat.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score

Generally, research suggests that agrivoltaics might benefit, at the very least, a small fraction of global farmland. But agrivoltaics won’t need to work everywhere to become a transformative idea. Writing in the journal Scientific Reports, scientists from Oregon State University found that if a mere 1 percent of global cropland gained solar panels, “global energy demand would be offset by solar production.”

Think about that for a second: turning just 1 percent of cropland agrivoltaic—a method that can also increase harvests in many environments—could more than satisfy the world’s energy demand, generating BTUs by the hundred quadrillion.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Though many restaurants have struggled during the coronavirus pandemic, McDonald's (NYSE: MCD), like other fast food joints, has fared pretty well. But much of that has to do with the fact many customers visit McDonald's to grab food in a hurry. And now, the burger giant is making plans to expedite the ordering process even more.

Bye bye, humans
For McDonald's, 70% of its sales come from drive-thru orders, so it pays for the company to invest in ways to make that system more efficient. Enter artificial intelligence.

McDonald's is in the process of replacing some of its drive-thru employees with computers that will welcome customers and be linked to a digital menu drivers can order from. The goal is to speed up the drive-thru line and prevent human error from slowing things down.

While it's easy to argue live employees make for a better drive-thru experience, those same employees can also botch orders or mishear customers. They can also forget to greet customers or wish them a good day. Using a system of AI and digital menus should help reduce incorrect orders and move customers along while ensuring they have a pleasant ordering experience.

In 2019, the average McDonald's drive-thru order took six minutes and 18 seconds to complete, but the company managed to shrink that to five minutes and 49 seconds in 2020, when drive-thru ordering really picked up. Getting that turnaround time down even further could work wonders for McDonald's -- and a host of other fast food establishments that rely on drive-thrus for a lot of their business...............

McDonald's Is Replacing Humans With Machines at Drive-Thrus: A Trend? (msn.com)

Reaction score
Though many restaurants have struggled during the coronavirus pandemic, McDonald's (NYSE: MCD), like other fast food joints, has fared pretty well. But much of that has to do with the fact many customers visit McDonald's to grab food in a hurry. And now, the burger giant is making plans to expedite the ordering process even more.

Bye bye, humans
For McDonald's, 70% of its sales come from drive-thru orders, so it pays for the company to invest in ways to make that system more efficient. Enter artificial intelligence.

McDonald's is in the process of replacing some of its drive-thru employees with computers that will welcome customers and be linked to a digital menu drivers can order from. The goal is to speed up the drive-thru line and prevent human error from slowing things down.

While it's easy to argue live employees make for a better drive-thru experience, those same employees can also botch orders or mishear customers. They can also forget to greet customers or wish them a good day. Using a system of AI and digital menus should help reduce incorrect orders and move customers along while ensuring they have a pleasant ordering experience.

In 2019, the average McDonald's drive-thru order took six minutes and 18 seconds to complete, but the company managed to shrink that to five minutes and 49 seconds in 2020, when drive-thru ordering really picked up. Getting that turnaround time down even further could work wonders for McDonald's -- and a host of other fast food establishments that rely on drive-thrus for a lot of their business...............

McDonald's Is Replacing Humans With Machines at Drive-Thrus: A Trend? (msn.com)
I can easily see this automation going to an app like Popeye's has. You can order and if location services are on the restaurant can expedite according to proximity. Heck the local sushi place here has an online menu that lets you tell them a date and time you want it ready.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can easily see this automation going to an app like Popeye's has. You can order and if location services are on the restaurant can expedite according to proximity. Heck the local sushi place here has an online menu that lets you tell them a date and time you want it ready.
Well, ordering via app is already a thing at a lot of places. But sometimes there are limitations because if you want to customize something, you may not always be able to do it through the app. I prefer a human touch though. Chick-fil-A is probably the most efficient I've seen out of the fast food drive throughs. Even when there's a line going out to the street, they get through everyone really quickly.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The real king of the jungle.

Move along kitties
when I saw the still of the video I thought that elephant was going to charge with the lions scrambling to get out the way

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom