Science! (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And here I was for some weird reason assuming that almond extract was extracted from almonds
=================================

There’s a lot to love about almonds. They’re decently nutritious, and lower in unsaturated fat than other nuts, like cashews—and often cheaper, too; they offer a satisfying crunch, unlike softer nuts such as macadamias; and they can function as the perfect portable, non-perishable, non-squishable snack that can be squirreled away in a desk drawer or at the bottom of a backpack for future hangry emergencies.

Yet where raw almonds are nearly universally praised, their extract counterpart is wildly divisive. If you’re one of the folks who loves almonds, but inexplicably finds yourself wrinkling your nose up at baked goods perfumed with almond extract, the simple reason might be that almond extract is often commercially made from the inside of peach pits, not almonds at all.........

Last edited:

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
“i’m a butt scientist. I study butts”
==========================

.......But the sea cucumber’s anus does not receive the recognition it deserves. “The moment you say ‘anus,’ you can hear a pin drop in the room,” Helm said. Bodily taboos have turned anuses across the tree of life into cultural underdogs, and scientific ones too: Not many researchers vocally count themselves among the world’s anus enthusiasts, which, according to the proud few, creates a bit of a blind spot—one that keeps us from understanding a fundamental aspect of our own biology.

The appearance of the anus was momentous in animal evolution, turning a one-hole digestive sac into an open-ended tunnel. Creatures with an anus could physically segregate the acts of eating and defecating, reducing the risk of sullying a snack with scat; they no longer had to finish processing one meal before ingesting another, allowing their tubelike body to harvest more energy and balloon in size.

Nowadays, anuses take many forms. Several animals, such as the sea cucumber, have morphed their out-hole into a Swiss Army knife of versatility; others thought that gastrointestinal back doors were so nice, they sprouted them at least twice. “There’s been a lot of evolutionary freedom to play around with that part of the body plan,” Armita Manafzadeh, a vertebrate morphology expert at Brown University, told me.

But anuses are also shrouded in scientific intrigue, and a fair bit of squabbling. Researchers still hotly debate how and when exactly the anus first arose, and the number of times the orifice was acquired or lost across different species. To tap into our origins, we’ll need to take a squarer look at our ends........

Attachments

• Something_of_a_Scientist.jpg
    Something_of_a_Scientist.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 3

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
This sounds really interesting. They can even generate electricity from inside a building with these panels., sounds like panels inside a building are reclaiming some of the electricity used to power the lights.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
On a related note.

I played on a darts team with a man who suffered cluster headaches. He told me they were so painful he contemplated suicide on several occasions. Treatment with LSD and magic mushrooms are showing promise

Reaction score
we're now able to correct for all the blurring of our microscope to the point that the largest blurring factor we have left is the fact that the atoms themselves are wobbling

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is very rudimentary science (water displacement), but it is a magpie doing it.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom