Science! (1 Viewer)

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If you're trying to avoid airborne viruses, heading to a near vacuum might not be the worst idea.
The same can be said about hot air hand dryers. I learned this a long time ago. All they do is recirculate viruses and bacteria that love to breed on the heater core. Single serve paper towels are the best way to fully sanitize your hands.

It's a recent study, but old news

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Cool article that also goes into the process of discovering exoplanets
================================================

There could be as many as 29 potentially habitable worlds 'perfectly positioned' to observe the Earth if they hold an intelligence civilisation, according to a new study.

Exploring ways in which we find exoplanets, that is worlds outside the solar system, the team from Cornell University reversed the process to see which could spot us.

Working alongside the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, astronomers identified 2,034 star-systems in our galactic neighbourhood - within 326 light years of the Earth - that could watch our planet cross the sun.

Out of those stars, 1,715 could have spotted Earth since human civilisation blossomed about 5,000 years ago, and 319 will be added over the next 5,000 years.

The number of stars varies depending on their location in space relative to the solar system and changes due to the fact we live in a dynamic universe.

While exoplanets haven't been detected around all of the stars that can observe the Earth, the team estimate 29 will have a rocky world in the habitable zone that are well positioned to also detect radio waves emitted by humans over 100 years ago.............

Just finished reading Extraterrestrial and it was pretty interesting.

Reaction score
The same can be said about hot air hand dryers. I learned this a long time ago. All they do is recirculate viruses and bacteria that love to breed on the heater core. Single serve paper towels are the best way to fully sanitize your hands.

It's a recent study, but old news
I hate when those are the only option. I'd rather a hand sanitizer dispenser just outside the restroom so you don't have wet or fecal hands upon leaving.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I hate when those are the only option. I'd rather a hand sanitizer dispenser just outside the restroom so you don't have wet or fecal hands upon leaving.
I'll see if I can find the video. Mythbusters did a segment on fecal matter in a bathroom. It easily spread to toothbrushes at the sink counter. Their advice was close the lid before you flush. I've done that for many years.

Reaction score
I'll see if I can find the video. Mythbusters did a segment on fecal matter in a bathroom. It easily spread to toothbrushes at the sink counter. Their advice was close the lid before you flush. I've done that for many years.
Not really an option in a public restroom tho.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
If I had the spare change, I'd definitely consider doing this. Looks like an awesome experience.
Not a chance in hell you could get me on that even if it was free or I got paid the $125k.

Reaction score
Ummm nah I'm good, but y'all go ahead and enjoy.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not a chance in hell you could get me on that even if it was free or I got paid the $125k.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't look like something for the faint of heart. If I had a problem with heights, I'd be the same way, lol.

My wife and I would love to do this though.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score

Bad news, when this happens to our sun, every planet in our solar system will be instantly vaporized.

The good news. We still have a few more million years.
Only our sun lacks the mass needed to go supernova. However, when it becomes a red giant, it will swell enough to swallow Earth iirc.

ETA:

The Andromeda Galaxy is set to collide with ours a billion years or so prior to the red giant so earth and the sun may not last long enough for the red giant issue.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Only our sun lacks the mass needed to go supernova. However, when it becomes a red giant, it will swell enough to swallow Earth iirc.

ETA:

The Andromeda Galaxy is set to collide with ours a billion years or so prior to the red giant so earth and the sun may not last long enough for the red giant issue.
Correct. I was going off HS science memory. When our sun does become a red giant, we won't be around to remember it :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom