Science! (18 Viewers)

Ummm nah I'm good, but y'all go ahead and enjoy.

Not a chance in hell you could get me on that even if it was free or I got paid the $125k.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't look like something for the faint of heart. If I had a problem with heights, I'd be the same way, lol.

My wife and I would love to do this though.

Bad news, when this happens to our sun, every planet in our solar system will be instantly vaporized.

The good news. We still have a few more million years.

Only our sun lacks the mass needed to go supernova. However, when it becomes a red giant, it will swell enough to swallow Earth iirc.

ETA:

The Andromeda Galaxy is set to collide with ours a billion years or so prior to the red giant so earth and the sun may not last long enough for the red giant issue.

Only our sun lacks the mass needed to go supernova. However, when it becomes a red giant, it will swell enough to swallow Earth iirc.

ETA:

The Andromeda Galaxy is set to collide with ours a billion years or so prior to the red giant so earth and the sun may not last long enough for the red giant issue.
Correct. I was going off HS science memory. When our sun does become a red giant, we won't be around to remember it :)

Bad news, when this happens to our sun, every planet in our solar system will be instantly vaporized.

The good news. We still have a few more million years.

I still find it absolutely incredible that we have technology that can see things like this that are so far away. Love it!

None of the potentially habitable Earth-like exoplanets known to astronomers today have the right conditions to sustain life as we know it on Earth, with a rich biosphere of plants, microbes and animals, a new study has found.

The study, published in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society on Wednesday (June 23), assessed the basic conditions for oxygen-based photosynthesis on ten Earth-like exoplanets with known masses that orbit in the so-called habitable zones around their stars.

The habitable zone is a region around a star with the right temperature for the presence of liquid water, a major prerequisite for the existence of life as we know it on Earth. However, the study, by a team of astronomers from the University of Naples, Italy, found that being in the habitable zone by itself is not enough.

Photosynthesis, the life-giving process that allows plants and some microorganisms to convert light into organic matter, producing oxygen as a by-product, requires the right amount of sunlight. Not all stars can provide that.

The researchers calculated how much photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) — radiation in the wavelength range between 400 to 700 nanometers that photosynthetic organisms can use — the planets receive from their stars. They found that the planets orbit frequently around stars that are too cool to provide enough PAR. For example, a star about half the temperature of the sun would provide enough PAR to power some photosynthesis but not enough to create such a rich biosphere as Earth has.

In fact, only one of the planets in the studied sample, Kepler-442b, a super Earth orbiting a star some 1,200 light years away in the constellation Lyra, came close to receiving enough PAR to sustain a large biosphere, the scientists said in a statement...............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom