Science! (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
The mystery is solved, thank you science! Snowboarders like gravitational potential energy, all this time I thought it was the ski lift that was doing all the work. Oh contraire mon frere! :)

"A snowboarder typically gains speed by converting gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy of motion. So the more a snowboarder descends down a hill, the faster he goes".

1603548748155.png

Marty_Graw

Forever Grateful to Yoko.
Reaction score
Isn't LEGO a Danish company? I've no knowledge of patent law so please "edumacate " me as to why/how they had to file patents in the U.S.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't LEGO a Danish company? I've no knowledge of patent law so please "edumacate " me as to why/how they had to file patents in the U.S.

They are a Danish company. The U.S. Patent was so that nobody in the U.S. could make the same product and sell it in the U.S. International Patent law is complicated and I don't know much about it, but it was probably safer and easier to get a U.S. Patent too instead of relying on a Danish patent applying in the U.S. based on International law.

Swamprat

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

It's very common to have the same 'invention' filed in more than one country as each country has it's own jurisdiction and IP laws.

Why do this? If you plan to manufacture, sell or use the invention in Country X to any significant degree, you'll probably want to have IP coverage there to help protect your interests. Moreover, the country selection could be defensive in nature. For instance, if a competitor has manufacturing capability in Country Y and you believe they would be inclined to copy/manufacture your invention, you would probably want a filing in Country Y as well... Of course, all these filings start getting expensive to initiate and maintain and so you have to be a bit strategic about it..

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
David Attenborough should narrate EVERY nature documentary

He is awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch is really good as well. He did the narration on a series about Pacific Islands i recently saw

saintmdterps

I've been dreamin', floatin' down the stream and..
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This fascinates me.

I first encountered the notion on quantum entanglement in Orson Scott Card's sci-fi novel Ender's Game. Humanity's greatest weapon was a communication device called the ansible which allowed humans to communicate in real time across light years of space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom