Science! (5 Viewers)

The whole terraform Mars idea is so baffling to me. We currently live on a planet that is absolutely perfect for life. Life can't help but naturally thrive here under all kinds of conditions. So what's the obsession with a desolate wasteland like Mars? It seems like all the time and money on this, in my opinion, foolish project to terraform Mars could be spent on improving quality of life on Earth. I mean we can't even deal with our own global climate crisis as it is. Like we're gonna create an artificial self-sustaining atmosphere and climate on a planet 40 million miles away?

I feel like too often in science and tech the question asked is "can we do it" and not "should we do it".

On face value, yea its dumb. So was going to the moon to prove a point to the Soviets.

But the real value of missions like this is the innovations that we will use forever. I would like to think that experimenting with Mars will open doors to the innovation we desparately need to fix climate change here.

NASA is basically just a gigantic grant to some of the smartest people in the country to dick around with stuff until they invent awesome things.

The mystery is solved, thank you science! Snowboarders like gravitational potential energy, all this time I thought it was the ski lift that was doing all the work. Oh contraire mon frere! :)

"A snowboarder typically gains speed by converting gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy of motion. So the more a snowboarder descends down a hill, the faster he goes".

1603548748155.png

Isn't LEGO a Danish company? I've no knowledge of patent law so please "edumacate " me as to why/how they had to file patents in the U.S.

Isn't LEGO a Danish company? I've no knowledge of patent law so please "edumacate " me as to why/how they had to file patents in the U.S.

They are a Danish company. The U.S. Patent was so that nobody in the U.S. could make the same product and sell it in the U.S. International Patent law is complicated and I don't know much about it, but it was probably safer and easier to get a U.S. Patent too instead of relying on a Danish patent applying in the U.S. based on International law.

It's very common to have the same 'invention' filed in more than one country as each country has it's own jurisdiction and IP laws.

Why do this? If you plan to manufacture, sell or use the invention in Country X to any significant degree, you'll probably want to have IP coverage there to help protect your interests. Moreover, the country selection could be defensive in nature. For instance, if a competitor has manufacturing capability in Country Y and you believe they would be inclined to copy/manufacture your invention, you would probably want a filing in Country Y as well... Of course, all these filings start getting expensive to initiate and maintain and so you have to be a bit strategic about it..

David Attenborough should narrate EVERY nature documentary

He is awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch is really good as well. He did the narration on a series about Pacific Islands i recently saw

This fascinates me.

I first encountered the notion on quantum entanglement in Orson Scott Card's sci-fi novel Ender's Game. Humanity's greatest weapon was a communication device called the ansible which allowed humans to communicate in real time across light years of space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom