Science! (8 Viewers)

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Even in middle school when we could go into the school library I would head right over to the reference material.
Novels & fictional books did nothing for me. I wanted to learn how to do or make something.
I guess I was always a strange person when it came to books.
My go to book when I went to the library in HS was Chiltons auto repair manual.I had strange tastes as well.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My go to book when I went to the library in HS was Chiltons auto repair manual.I had strange tastes as well.
The Chilton manuals were the reason my first [good paying] job was as a GM auto technician. I needed that job to pay for and finish my flying lessons. I would eventually take the mechanical knowledge to the airport in Hammond (LA) to begin an apprenticeship as an Airframe & Powerplant mechanic at one of the FBOs there. I figured that if I was going to fly 'em, it was probably a good idea to know all about fixing 'em too. As an aircraft mechanic I was able to log a lot of free PIC time due to all the maintenance flights. I sure wish general aviation maintenance was a viable employment option these days. I'd love to get back into aviation.

Reaction score

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Location is everything, for both homeowners and dinosaurs. When you’re buying a house, it’s better for your long term happiness to find a neighborhood you like that’s close to work instead of having that extra living room. And when you’re a Cretaceous period dinosaur, it’s better for your long term survival to have a giant asteroid hit in the middle of the ocean instead of just off the coast of Mexico.

If that meteor had come just half a minute later, it would have hit somewhere in either the Atlantic or Pacific. Either location would have made some killer waves (literally), but at least it wouldn’t have killed as many dinos. Birds are cool and all, it just might have been nice to have some little raptors running around instead of chickens. They were about the same size anyway, so they couldn’t reach the doorknobs if we put them a little higher.

These new findings came to light in a BBC documentary, The Day the Dinosaurs Died, featuring the scientists who have been drilling into the underwater crater. Back in 2016, geophysicists Jo Morgan from Imperial College London and Sean Gulick from the University of Texas drilled deep into the ocean floor to figure out more about the impact. They’ve been analyzing the samples they brought back ever since. The Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in March 2017 featured multiple presentations from the team, but surprisingly the news didn’t really spread until their findings hit mainstream TV……..

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Location is everything, for both homeowners and dinosaurs. When you’re buying a house, it’s better for your long term happiness to find a neighborhood you like that’s close to work instead of having that extra living room. And when you’re a Cretaceous period dinosaur, it’s better for your long term survival to have a giant asteroid hit in the middle of the ocean instead of just off the coast of Mexico.

If that meteor had come just half a minute later, it would have hit somewhere in either the Atlantic or Pacific. Either location would have made some killer waves (literally), but at least it wouldn’t have killed as many dinos. Birds are cool and all, it just might have been nice to have some little raptors running around instead of chickens. They were about the same size anyway, so they couldn’t reach the doorknobs if we put them a little higher.

These new findings came to light in a BBC documentary, The Day the Dinosaurs Died, featuring the scientists who have been drilling into the underwater crater. Back in 2016, geophysicists Jo Morgan from Imperial College London and Sean Gulick from the University of Texas drilled deep into the ocean floor to figure out more about the impact. They’ve been analyzing the samples they brought back ever since. The Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in March 2017 featured multiple presentations from the team, but surprisingly the news didn’t really spread until their findings hit mainstream TV……..

It's why I actually said "Bull****!" out loud watching Armageddon and Deep Impact when they said that breaking up the killer asteroid wasn't a solution. Yeah, you risk wiping out Moscow, Paris, London and New York, but you don't get the molten rock precipitate and other effects of a strike from a larger, intact meteor.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Sailorsaint

Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom