Science! (6 Viewers)

Reaction score
Debated on a new thread for this but in not sure there's enough interest this far away from something. Not certain it's science enough either tho.

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Seeing more and more articles about pulling co2 from the atmosphere. Hoping they aren't just theoretical for much longer.

They aren’t theoretical now. CO2 organization is in practice in many different manners in other industries.

The problem is cost. That $100 per ton until is great until you talk about the need to reorganize 100’s of billions of tons.

Same with desalination plants and ocean hydro-plants. Except, in addition to cost, those would need to be put on beachfront property and they are big, ugly and loud.

That being said, when the climate crises reaches (reached?) a point when those fixes will be put into practice it will be too late I am afraid. Even if we all agreed to begin this today, you are looking at 10-20 years before facilities are built worldwide and it is up and running - in a best case scenario.

Sailorsaint

Reaction score
I can't wait to see what this baby shows us. It's going to be stunning, I'm sure.

Two things…first, I hope they carried the 1 on this one and they don’t have to go refocus it. Second, if they now have a rocket to send it that far out, this means we have one to get back to the moon, finally.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Two things…first, I hope they carried the 1 on this one and they don’t have to go refocus it. Second, if they now have a rocket to send it that far out, this means we have one to get back to the moon, finally.
The rocket will only take it into space for 30 minutes. It then ejects it and it will coast out to the final point in space. That will take 30 days.

Reaction score

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can't wait to see what this baby shows us. It's going to be stunning, I'm sure.

I’ve got my fingers crossed. Webb is incredibly complex and it’s going to be parked out past the moon at L2. There is almost no way to fix it if something goes wrong. I remember there was consideration for a grappling port so an Orion capsule could attach to it and potentially conduct repairs but that went no where.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve got my fingers crossed. Webb is incredibly complex and it’s going to be parked out past the moon at L2. There is almost no way to fix it if something goes wrong. I remember there was consideration for a grappling port so an Orion capsule could attach to it and potentially conduct repairs but that went no where.
I would imagine it's not a matter of if, but when, something goes wrong. I'm assuming we aren't expecting this one to be as long-lived as Hubble?

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would imagine it's not a matter of if, but when, something goes wrong. I'm assuming we aren't expecting this one to be as long-lived as Hubble?
No, they’re not. Which is insane when you consider how long and how expensive it was to develop. Honestly, the people that ran the Webb program should never be allowed to run future programs.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This could have went in the TIL thread, but I love the science here. Have you ever wondered why planes don't
usually fly straight across the Pacific ocean?

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did I miss the explanation here on what's happening? I know it said the cases were heat-related, but is it something to do with low water intake and overheating issues?

Reaction score
Did I miss the explanation here on what's happening? I know it said the cases were heat-related, but is it something to do with low water intake and overheating issues?
It was not very forthcoming on the explanation. Here is The Lancet article.

My non-medical reading didn't find any smoking gun so to speak. They basically did a study of temperature vs groups of people and hospital admissions. I'm not sure how they can say that correlation is causation. I was trusting the study factored these things in appropriately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom