Science! (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
It's about time that we had a thread devoted to cool science news. I'm always seeing interesting articles about various science related news and I know I'm not seeing half of what's out there. Let's kick it off with this tough bug:

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Birds R smart

Reaction score
Birds R smart

I recall reading a few years back that ravens in particular hold a rather long grudge. Not only that, they communicate it somehow to other ravens. The story as I vaguely remember goes that a scientist was studying them and as part of the study a few were released. He found himself the target of large groups of ravens for years after. They would swoop in at him from the trees and generally harass him as he walked from his car to the office as if inspired by Alfred Hitchcock stories.

The Nomad

RESIST
Reaction score
I recall reading a few years back that ravens in particular hold a rather long grudge. Not only that, they communicate it somehow to other ravens. The story as I vaguely remember goes that a scientist was studying them and as part of the study a few were released. He found himself the target of large groups of ravens for years after. They would swoop in at him from the trees and generally harass him as he walked from his car to the office as if inspired by Alfred Hitchcock stories.
Was that the same one where he wore a mask? I recall one where the person wore a mask while pestering them in some way and the ravens told other ravens about him and ravens away from where it happened even knew he was bad news. Also, he wore the mask upside down one day and was fine until one raven flew by him and barrel rolled to verify it was him. Clever, clever.

Reaction score
Was that the same one where he wore a mask? I recall one where the person wore a mask while pestering them in some way and the ravens told other ravens about him and ravens away from where it happened even knew he was bad news. Also, he wore the mask upside down one day and was fine until one raven flew by him and barrel rolled to verify it was him. Clever, clever.
Possibly, I don't recall the details.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A star has gone missing.

Not in our own Milky Way, but in a galaxy about 75 million light-years away. The star in question is so hot that it glows crystal blue, and it shines a couple million times brighter than the star we know best, our sun.

Even as stars go, it’s massive. Astronomers have studied it for nearly two decades, so it was pretty disconcerting when, one day last year, they looked at the latest observations and realized they couldn’t find it anymore..............

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A star has gone missing.

Not in our own Milky Way, but in a galaxy about 75 million light-years away. The star in question is so hot that it glows crystal blue, and it shines a couple million times brighter than the star we know best, our sun.

Even as stars go, it’s massive. Astronomers have studied it for nearly two decades, so it was pretty disconcerting when, one day last year, they looked at the latest observations and realized they couldn’t find it anymore..............

This is just begging for a "Yo Mama so fat" joke.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
not quite science, but pretty cool

Reaction score
You down with Tau Boötes b (yeah you know me)

No clue why that lyric popped reading that. Maybe it's the emissions.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You down with Tau Boötes b (yeah you know me)

No clue why that lyric popped reading that. Maybe it's the emissions.
This is another bit of news that's easing us into the announcement of alien life.

Reaction score
This is another bit of news that's easing us into the announcement of alien life.
I though that too at first, but upon further reading I think it's saying the planet itself is either made of or emitting the waves. I could be misinterpreting though.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I though that too at first, but upon further reading I think it's saying the planet itself is either made of or emitting the waves. I could be misinterpreting though.
Yes, but we keep seeing more and more of these types of news stories being publicized. I just have a feeling that it's an attempt to get all of these ideas out into mainstream thinking, so that way, it's not a shock when they finally announce the big news. In any regard, it shouldn't come as a big shock to people when it does happen. I'd be willing to bet a large portion of the population would accept the news of extraterrestrial life without blinking an eye. If we've made it through 2020, I think we're pretty resilient to that kind of news. :)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Jupiter and Saturn will merge in the night sky Monday, appearing closer to one another than they have since Galileo’s time in the 17th century.......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom