Science! (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
It's about time that we had a thread devoted to cool science news. I'm always seeing interesting articles about various science related news and I know I'm not seeing half of what's out there. Let's kick it off with this tough bug:

Reaction score
Yes, but we keep seeing more and more of these types of news stories being publicized. I just have a feeling that it's an attempt to get all of these ideas out into mainstream thinking, so that way, it's not a shock when they finally announce the big news. In any regard, it shouldn't come as a big shock to people when it does happen. I'd be willing to bet a large portion of the population would accept the news of extraterrestrial life without blinking an eye. If we've made it through 2020, I think we're pretty resilient to that kind of news. :)
Hmmm...

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Any of you other science nerds checking out the Great Conjunction? Clear skies here and easy to see.

Reaction score

This spring, over 2,000 feet down in the Indian Ocean, a robot exploring a canyon happened upon a fantastical, loosely coiled creature. The siphonophore, found suspended in the water, might be the longest animal ever discovered. It's well over 150 feet in length.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so many questions. How did a robot determine how long it was. Did it find the head and follow to see where it went.

and they say they have barely scratched the surface of what’s down there and they are clearly discovering new stuff but when they come upon some marks on a shark the quote “"I can’t think of anything else except for a large squid that could make those circular marks”
You could have some other sucker monsters down there Bud. That really is fascinating though. I’m petrified of water so deep there is no sun. Underwater cave spelunking, you can have that.

Clarkey

32 Years and Counting...
Reaction score
This is science related, but more about probability...

I never excelled at math or science but I respect the hell out of it. See the link below to review the full NYT story on the odds of all of your popcorn kernels "going off" at the exact same time. If cooking 300 kernels, the odds would be 1 in 10⁹³⁵ - LOL!

So how unlikely is that? THIS is the part that cracks me up...

At the time of his death in 1995, the popcorn magnate Orville Redenbacher had 24 living descendants — let’s suppose he has about 50 now, and that they all have phones with U.S. numbers. Now you decide you want to talk to them. You pull out your phone and start dialing digits at random, and somehow you reach all 50 on your first round of calls — without a single wrong number. As they pick up, you correctly guess their birthdays and the last four digits of their Social Security numbers. Once you’re done with those calls, you take out a sheet of paper and write down the winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers for the next seven lottery drawings. Finally, you guess the result of 100 coin tosses in a row.

:LOL:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/science/randall-munroe-question-popcorn.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom