Science! (6 Viewers)

With their big eyes, furry legs and exotic colors, jumping spiders are described as some of the most adorable arachnids — but members of its more than 5,000 species are amazing in other ways, too.

They have spectacular vision, can make complex decisions and are capable of forming memories. Some do hypnotic mating dances like tropical birds. And many can leap relatively far distances.

A new study, from German, Italian and U.S. researchers, says that a species of jumping spider may have another fascinating trait: the ability to have rapid eye movement sleep, a phase of rest characterized by twitching limbs, high brain activity, and eyes that race in different directions.

Scientists say humans have their most vivid dreams during REM sleep.
“There was no way ever in my life I would have thought that [jumping spiders] could have something like REM sleep,” Daniela Roessler, a behavioral ecologist at the University of Konstanz in Germany and the lead author of the study, told The Washington Post……

What she and her fellow researchers saw amazed them. Using an infrared camera, they observed the young Evarcha arcuata jumping spiders experience bouts of limb twitching as they hung upside-down.

Because the spiders had translucent exteriors, Roessler also recorded the spiders’ interior “retinal tubes” — a part of the eye that allows the arachnids to shift their gaze — shake rapidly during the state of apparent inactivity. It did not happen when the spiders were active.

“These twitches seemed so classical, and they immediately reminded me of a dog dreaming,” Roessler said.

And it’s possible the spiders dream, too, she said.
“Whether that means that they’re visually experiencing this similar to how we experience visual dreams is a completely different story,” Roessler said, musing that the spiders may “dream in vibrations.”…..

As global warming heats up, humans will increasingly suffer from rising temperatures. But how will climate change affect cows?
Turns out more heat can be harmful to dairy cows.

In recent years, scientists have found links between human-caused climate change and heat stress, which can lower milk production and lead to diseases and other issues in dairy cows.

Cows eat less when they’re hot — a factor researchers believe leads to a 50 percent drop in milk production. But those drops in production can reach up to 70 percent in hot weather.

In a search to account for the other 20 percent, researchers conducted a trial with 48 Holstein cows housed in temperature-controlled stalls.

Over the course of two weeks, half of the cows were exposed to approximately 98-degree heat, while the others were housed in neutral conditions.

All of the cows were milked twice a day, and the researchers tracked everything from their vital signs to their weight, feed intake and milk yields. The research was published in the Journal of Dairy Science.

As predicted, the warm cows’ milk production declined and the heat-stressed cows had higher insulin levels. They also ate and drank less…….

As global warming heats up, humans will increasingly suffer from rising temperatures. But how will climate change affect cows?
Turns out more heat can be harmful to dairy cows.

In recent years, scientists have found links between human-caused climate change and heat stress, which can lower milk production and lead to diseases and other issues in dairy cows.

Cows eat less when they’re hot — a factor researchers believe leads to a 50 percent drop in milk production. But those drops in production can reach up to 70 percent in hot weather.

In a search to account for the other 20 percent, researchers conducted a trial with 48 Holstein cows housed in temperature-controlled stalls.

Over the course of two weeks, half of the cows were exposed to approximately 98-degree heat, while the others were housed in neutral conditions.

All of the cows were milked twice a day, and the researchers tracked everything from their vital signs to their weight, feed intake and milk yields. The research was published in the Journal of Dairy Science.

As predicted, the warm cows’ milk production declined and the heat-stressed cows had higher insulin levels. They also ate and drank less…….

This is just an elaborate scheme by the cows to convince us to provide them with climate controlled environments.

The video that started the debate began innocently enough. The creator simply asked whether other people can smell the disgusting scent of dead ants on the sidewalk.

In comments and replies, many agreed that they could, while others—a far larger number of people, it seems—had no idea that ants gave off a scent, even vehemently denying the idea.

If you’re in the group that doesn’t know what ants smell like, chances are you just haven’t paid enough attention to some of your tiniest local residents…….

The video that started the debate began innocently enough. The creator simply asked whether other people can smell the disgusting scent of dead ants on the sidewalk.

In comments and replies, many agreed that they could, while others—a far larger number of people, it seems—had no idea that ants gave off a scent, even vehemently denying the idea.

If you’re in the group that doesn’t know what ants smell like, chances are you just haven’t paid enough attention to some of your tiniest local residents…….

So, do fire ants smell like Atomic Fireballs? Because I can't smell ants.

So, do fire ants smell like Atomic Fireballs? Because I can't smell ants.
Until I happened across this article I didn’t know ants had a smell and some people can smell them

someone around the corner:

“You don’t smell that?! How can you not smell that!?”

View from earth

I was a mere lad of 18 and entering my last week of high school. I remember watching this on the news. It's the most
devastating force Mother nature can deal.

I was twelve as I watched the western horizon turn black that morning.
Even 300 miles away it was an awesome sight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom