Science! (6 Viewers)

If this hasn’t been posted already..

Bringing Internet to most of the world in a few years will change mankind..IF that’s what Space X does with Starlink:

Unfortunately also probably means you’ll have to pay a pretty penny to go to the moon to see the night sky uninhibited

If this hasn’t been posted already..

Bringing Internet to most of the world in a few years will change mankind..IF that’s what Space X does with Starlink:

Unfortunately also probably means you’ll have to pay a pretty penny to go to the moon to see the night sky uninhibited
I've been following this one VERY closely. There's no if about it. Starlink has already started public beta testing in the northern US and Canada and the results are stellar. Even without a full constellation of satellites, the speeds and latency are incredible. Once the full constellation of satellites is up there, everyone will have access. This is not geared toward people in a city that already has high speed internet. This is for those folks in rural settings who have no options. Starlink is their option and it's going to be a mighty fine one. I've been saying this will be a game-changer for a while now.

And as far as seeing the night sky, casual stargazers probably won't notice a difference. Yes, you'll hear astronomers fussing about it, but I imagine they'll figure out a way around the issues. Software is probably available or will be developed to eliminate the satellites from long exposure shots of the night sky.

I've been watching videos by people who have installed Starlink at their homes, cabins, etc. The reviews are outstanding. I think that they're paying around $500 for the equipment but it's very easy to setup. I watched one buy test it out on the ground in his yard with a tree that could be a problem and the system worked. He installed it on his roof and he was getting speeds that are better than what I'm getting with Comcast. I'm paying $80 per month for 12 up and 47 down and Starlink looks to be a good alternative at the moment.

I also watched a video when the Starlink dish had a light snow cover on it and the speeds did drop, and the signal was not as reliable. It seems as though the dish is slightly warmed to eventually melt snow but I would imagine a bad ice/snow storm would cause problems for a while. Because of that it might not be good if you have access to cable or fiber but there are lots of places where good internet doesn't go.

At our union hall we had to pay Comcast $13,000 to run a line to our office because there was no other option outside of DSL. Had this dish been an option we would probably have tried it.

At least the quarantine worked out for some

Actually it will be interesting to read about the shutdown's effect on nature and wildlife

Early on I remember seeing comments about how the smog/pollution lifted, one guy said something like 'I haven't been able to see that mountain range for 20 years'
========================

.........Thanks to a long-running study of the songs of white-crowned sparrows living in and around the San Francisco Bay area, scientists were able to compare effects before and during lockdown.

What they found came as a bit of a surprise. Most of the time, it's male sparrows that sing, and during the silence the birds improved their vocal performance and sang lower-amplitude "sexier" songs to defend their territory and woo a female.

"When noise levels dropped during the shutdown, their songs actually sounded sexier to other birds in the population," said Dr Derryberry.
It shows how quickly nature can recover from the effects of human noise pollution, she added.

"This study shows that when you reduce noise pollution there's almost an immediate effect on wildlife behaviour and that's really exciting because so many things that we do to try to help the environment take a long time to improve."............

Last edited:
Starship launch (delayed, but did happen later in the video feed - skip to 1:47:49)

spacex twitters
I just read an article on MSN about this test. While it didn't land as they hoped they where very happy with the test. It also says they hope to launch people to the moon in 2024 and Mars in 2026.

The article states that the rocket that will be launched for the manned moon and Mars missions will have a 30 engine first stage known as "super heavy" and a 2nd stage that will land on the moon and mars with and launch again for return to earth will have 6 engines. Both stages will land upright back on earth and be re-useable. That will be something to see.

SpaceX's Starship SN8 prototype soars on epic test launch, with explosive landing (msn.com)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom