Science! (4 Viewers)

New species of whale

I just read an article on MSN about this test. While it didn't land as they hoped they where very happy with the test. It also says they hope to launch people to the moon in 2024 and Mars in 2026.

The article states that the rocket that will be launched for the manned moon and Mars missions will have a 30 engine first stage known as "super heavy" and a 2nd stage that will land on the moon and mars with and launch again for return to earth will have 6 engines. Both stages will land upright back on earth and be re-useable. That will be something to see.

SpaceX's Starship SN8 prototype soars on epic test launch, with explosive landing (msn.com)

Man, the Starship test flight was the highlight of my day. To see it pull off those maneuvers was thrilling to me. It looks like they had a fuel pressure problem with one of the header tanks before landing. That's what led to the crash. They got a lot of data and SN9 is almost ready for flight. I honestly didn't think they would accomplish so much in one flight. Now I think they'll pull it off completely with SN9.

I would have thought the drop would have been much more
==============
A locked-down pandemic-struck world cut its carbon dioxide emissions this year by 7%, the biggest drop ever, new preliminary figures show.

The Global Carbon Project, an authoritative group of dozens of international scientists who track emissions, calculated that the world will have put 37 billion U.S. tons (34 billion metric tons) of carbon dioxide in the air in 2020.

That’s down from 40.1 billion US tons (36.4 billion metric tons) in 2019, according a study published Thursday in the journal Earth System Science Data.......

167607-1540982663.jpg

Birds R smart

I recall reading a few years back that ravens in particular hold a rather long grudge. Not only that, they communicate it somehow to other ravens. The story as I vaguely remember goes that a scientist was studying them and as part of the study a few were released. He found himself the target of large groups of ravens for years after. They would swoop in at him from the trees and generally harass him as he walked from his car to the office as if inspired by Alfred Hitchcock stories.

I recall reading a few years back that ravens in particular hold a rather long grudge. Not only that, they communicate it somehow to other ravens. The story as I vaguely remember goes that a scientist was studying them and as part of the study a few were released. He found himself the target of large groups of ravens for years after. They would swoop in at him from the trees and generally harass him as he walked from his car to the office as if inspired by Alfred Hitchcock stories.
Was that the same one where he wore a mask? I recall one where the person wore a mask while pestering them in some way and the ravens told other ravens about him and ravens away from where it happened even knew he was bad news. Also, he wore the mask upside down one day and was fine until one raven flew by him and barrel rolled to verify it was him. Clever, clever.

Was that the same one where he wore a mask? I recall one where the person wore a mask while pestering them in some way and the ravens told other ravens about him and ravens away from where it happened even knew he was bad news. Also, he wore the mask upside down one day and was fine until one raven flew by him and barrel rolled to verify it was him. Clever, clever.
Possibly, I don't recall the details.

A star has gone missing.

Not in our own Milky Way, but in a galaxy about 75 million light-years away. The star in question is so hot that it glows crystal blue, and it shines a couple million times brighter than the star we know best, our sun.

Even as stars go, it’s massive. Astronomers have studied it for nearly two decades, so it was pretty disconcerting when, one day last year, they looked at the latest observations and realized they couldn’t find it anymore..............

A star has gone missing.

Not in our own Milky Way, but in a galaxy about 75 million light-years away. The star in question is so hot that it glows crystal blue, and it shines a couple million times brighter than the star we know best, our sun.

Even as stars go, it’s massive. Astronomers have studied it for nearly two decades, so it was pretty disconcerting when, one day last year, they looked at the latest observations and realized they couldn’t find it anymore..............

This is just begging for a "Yo Mama so fat" joke.

not quite science, but pretty cool

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom