Science! (3 Viewers)

This is science related, but more about probability...

I never excelled at math or science but I respect the hell out of it. See the link below to review the full NYT story on the odds of all of your popcorn kernels "going off" at the exact same time. If cooking 300 kernels, the odds would be 1 in 10⁹³⁵ - LOL!

So how unlikely is that? THIS is the part that cracks me up...

At the time of his death in 1995, the popcorn magnate Orville Redenbacher had 24 living descendants — let’s suppose he has about 50 now, and that they all have phones with U.S. numbers. Now you decide you want to talk to them. You pull out your phone and start dialing digits at random, and somehow you reach all 50 on your first round of calls — without a single wrong number. As they pick up, you correctly guess their birthdays and the last four digits of their Social Security numbers. Once you’re done with those calls, you take out a sheet of paper and write down the winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers for the next seven lottery drawings. Finally, you guess the result of 100 coin tosses in a row.

:LOL:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/science/randall-munroe-question-popcorn.html

The hybrid perovskite lattice structure is flexible and soft—like "a strange combination of a solid and a liquid at the same time," as Lindenberg puts it—and this is what allows polarons to form and grow.

Their observations revealed that polaronic distortions start very small—on the scale of a few angstroms, about the spacing between atoms in a solid—and rapidly expand outward in all directions to a diameter of about 5 billionths of a meter, which is about a 50-fold increase. This nudges about 10 layers of atoms slightly outward within a roughly spherical area over the course of tens of picoseconds, or trillionths of a second.

This seems a lot more in-depth than my 3rd grade teacher led me to believe.

This seems a lot more in-depth than my 3rd grade teacher led me to believe.
It sounds like technobabble from Star Trek. I love it.

Did these folks just advance us down the path to transporters? Most of it does not compute to me, but if atoms in a wave exist at two spots AND you can figure out how to manipulate that wave properly, could you then influence the process speeds or distances thus making it transport on your schedule instead of the universal schedule?

Last edited:
This sounds like something a medieval "doctor" would try
==========================

Your eyes are one of nature's greatest evolutionary triumphs. With a few quick glances, humans can find food, perceive danger, steer a high-speed vehicle, locate mates, or, you know, sit on a couch and watch Netflix.

But when your eyes are damaged by accident or disease, your world becomes infinitely more difficult to manage. It's a good thing, then, that you can also see with your teeth.

Using a procedure called osteo-odonto-keratoprothesis (OOKP), or tooth-in-eye surgery, a doctor can implant part of your tooth into a blinded eye and restore sight. It sounds like something from a sketchy B-grade science fiction movie, but this operation has actually been around for decades.

In more recent years, researchers have tweaked and improved upon the execution, but the concept is still this same — using part of a patient's mouth material to help reconstruct a damaged cornea........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom