Science! (8 Viewers)

Though many restaurants have struggled during the coronavirus pandemic, McDonald's (NYSE: MCD), like other fast food joints, has fared pretty well. But much of that has to do with the fact many customers visit McDonald's to grab food in a hurry. And now, the burger giant is making plans to expedite the ordering process even more.

Bye bye, humans
For McDonald's, 70% of its sales come from drive-thru orders, so it pays for the company to invest in ways to make that system more efficient. Enter artificial intelligence.

McDonald's is in the process of replacing some of its drive-thru employees with computers that will welcome customers and be linked to a digital menu drivers can order from. The goal is to speed up the drive-thru line and prevent human error from slowing things down.

While it's easy to argue live employees make for a better drive-thru experience, those same employees can also botch orders or mishear customers. They can also forget to greet customers or wish them a good day. Using a system of AI and digital menus should help reduce incorrect orders and move customers along while ensuring they have a pleasant ordering experience.

In 2019, the average McDonald's drive-thru order took six minutes and 18 seconds to complete, but the company managed to shrink that to five minutes and 49 seconds in 2020, when drive-thru ordering really picked up. Getting that turnaround time down even further could work wonders for McDonald's -- and a host of other fast food establishments that rely on drive-thrus for a lot of their business...............

McDonald's Is Replacing Humans With Machines at Drive-Thrus: A Trend? (msn.com)
I can easily see this automation going to an app like Popeye's has. You can order and if location services are on the restaurant can expedite according to proximity. Heck the local sushi place here has an online menu that lets you tell them a date and time you want it ready.

I can easily see this automation going to an app like Popeye's has. You can order and if location services are on the restaurant can expedite according to proximity. Heck the local sushi place here has an online menu that lets you tell them a date and time you want it ready.

Well, ordering via app is already a thing at a lot of places. But sometimes there are limitations because if you want to customize something, you may not always be able to do it through the app. I prefer a human touch though. Chick-fil-A is probably the most efficient I've seen out of the fast food drive throughs. Even when there's a line going out to the street, they get through everyone really quickly.

The real king of the jungle.

Move along kitties

when I saw the still of the video I thought that elephant was going to charge with the lions scrambling to get out the way

Along the same lines

when you discover you’re not quite the alpha predator you thought you were

Along the same lines

when you discover you’re not quite the alpha predator you thought you were

Hippos were portrayed as lovable big babies in my childhood cartoons. The opposite in real life is they are big,mean,and nasty. They have been known to bite a 15 foot Nile crocodile in half. They kill more Africans every year from any animal except the mosquito.

Hippos were portrayed as lovable big babies in my childhood cartoons. The opposite in real life is they are big,mean,and nasty. They have been known to bite a 15 foot Nile crocodile in half. They kill more Africans every year from any animal except the mosquito.

Mosquitoes vs Hippos definitely a contrast in size.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom