Science! (6 Viewers)

Not the first time I've heard about the AIDS virus as being a helpful carrier. I believe it's being used for certain cancer treatments.

“How did they cure your cancer?”

“They injected me with AIDS”

it’s like that weird thing where they put out a huge fire by setting off a huge explosion

Last edited:
“How did they cure your cancer?”

“They injected me with AIDS”

it’s like that weird thing where they put out a huge fire by setting off a huge explosion
Using explosives to put out oil well fires has been common practice for many years. Fire needs three things. Oxygen,heat,and something to burn. You take away anyone of the three and the fire will go out. Explosives take away the oxygen.

Using explosives to put out oil well fires has been common practice for many years. Fire needs three things. Oxygen,heat,and something to burn. You take away anyone of the three and the fire will go out. Explosives take away the oxygen.

Oh I know - and when it's explained it makes perfect sense but when you first hear it it seems counterintuitive

When you first hear it it sounds like -

"how did you get rid of your termites?"

"I burned the house to the ground"

It sounds like solving one problem with a bigger problem

It’s the 19th Century. You have no phone, no watch, but what you do have is a very pressing appointment at noon, how do you tell what time it is? In the 1800s, the three main sources of determining the time were the clock at the center of your town, the railroads, and the sun, but it would not be uncommon for all three to tell you different times.

Every city or town had the ability to set its own time so 1:05 PM in your town could be 1:15 the next town over. Railroads operated on their own set of timetables and not always the same ones. Two trains on the same track could have two different times, which meant unsafe traveling conditions and collisions.

On November 18, 1883, the railroads of North America set a standard time for all trains to address the danger. Industrial America grew around the railroad time system. Factories operated on this standard time, developing punch clocks to monitor and schedule work. Time became more regulated, managed to the second at the hands of technology and the clocks that set it...........

It’s the 19th Century. You have no phone, no watch, but what you do have is a very pressing appointment at noon, how do you tell what time it is? In the 1800s, the three main sources of determining the time were the clock at the center of your town, the railroads, and the sun, but it would not be uncommon for all three to tell you different times.

Every city or town had the ability to set its own time so 1:05 PM in your town could be 1:15 the next town over. Railroads operated on their own set of timetables and not always the same ones. Two trains on the same track could have two different times, which meant unsafe traveling conditions and collisions.

On November 18, 1883, the railroads of North America set a standard time for all trains to address the danger. Industrial America grew around the railroad time system. Factories operated on this standard time, developing punch clocks to monitor and schedule work. Time became more regulated, managed to the second at the hands of technology and the clocks that set it...........

TIL much of this. Interesting.

Crazy how fast and wild tech is developing.

“i’m a butt scientist. I study butts”
==========================

.......But the sea cucumber’s anus does not receive the recognition it deserves. “The moment you say ‘anus,’ you can hear a pin drop in the room,” Helm said. Bodily taboos have turned anuses across the tree of life into cultural underdogs, and scientific ones too: Not many researchers vocally count themselves among the world’s anus enthusiasts, which, according to the proud few, creates a bit of a blind spot—one that keeps us from understanding a fundamental aspect of our own biology.

The appearance of the anus was momentous in animal evolution, turning a one-hole digestive sac into an open-ended tunnel. Creatures with an anus could physically segregate the acts of eating and defecating, reducing the risk of sullying a snack with scat; they no longer had to finish processing one meal before ingesting another, allowing their tubelike body to harvest more energy and balloon in size.

Nowadays, anuses take many forms. Several animals, such as the sea cucumber, have morphed their out-hole into a Swiss Army knife of versatility; others thought that gastrointestinal back doors were so nice, they sprouted them at least twice. “There’s been a lot of evolutionary freedom to play around with that part of the body plan,” Armita Manafzadeh, a vertebrate morphology expert at Brown University, told me.

But anuses are also shrouded in scientific intrigue, and a fair bit of squabbling. Researchers still hotly debate how and when exactly the anus first arose, and the number of times the orifice was acquired or lost across different species. To tap into our origins, we’ll need to take a squarer look at our ends........

Last edited:
And here I was for some weird reason assuming that almond extract was extracted from almonds
=================================

There’s a lot to love about almonds. They’re decently nutritious, and lower in unsaturated fat than other nuts, like cashews—and often cheaper, too; they offer a satisfying crunch, unlike softer nuts such as macadamias; and they can function as the perfect portable, non-perishable, non-squishable snack that can be squirreled away in a desk drawer or at the bottom of a backpack for future hangry emergencies.

Yet where raw almonds are nearly universally praised, their extract counterpart is wildly divisive. If you’re one of the folks who loves almonds, but inexplicably finds yourself wrinkling your nose up at baked goods perfumed with almond extract, the simple reason might be that almond extract is often commercially made from the inside of peach pits, not almonds at all.........

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom