Science! (3 Viewers)

“i’m a butt scientist. I study butts”
==========================

.......But the sea cucumber’s anus does not receive the recognition it deserves. “The moment you say ‘anus,’ you can hear a pin drop in the room,” Helm said. Bodily taboos have turned anuses across the tree of life into cultural underdogs, and scientific ones too: Not many researchers vocally count themselves among the world’s anus enthusiasts, which, according to the proud few, creates a bit of a blind spot—one that keeps us from understanding a fundamental aspect of our own biology.

The appearance of the anus was momentous in animal evolution, turning a one-hole digestive sac into an open-ended tunnel. Creatures with an anus could physically segregate the acts of eating and defecating, reducing the risk of sullying a snack with scat; they no longer had to finish processing one meal before ingesting another, allowing their tubelike body to harvest more energy and balloon in size.

Nowadays, anuses take many forms. Several animals, such as the sea cucumber, have morphed their out-hole into a Swiss Army knife of versatility; others thought that gastrointestinal back doors were so nice, they sprouted them at least twice. “There’s been a lot of evolutionary freedom to play around with that part of the body plan,” Armita Manafzadeh, a vertebrate morphology expert at Brown University, told me.

But anuses are also shrouded in scientific intrigue, and a fair bit of squabbling. Researchers still hotly debate how and when exactly the anus first arose, and the number of times the orifice was acquired or lost across different species. To tap into our origins, we’ll need to take a squarer look at our ends........

Attachments

• Something_of_a_Scientist.jpg
    Something_of_a_Scientist.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 3
This sounds really interesting. They can even generate electricity from inside a building with these panels., sounds like panels inside a building are reclaiming some of the electricity used to power the lights.

On a related note.

I played on a darts team with a man who suffered cluster headaches. He told me they were so painful he contemplated suicide on several occasions. Treatment with LSD and magic mushrooms are showing promise

we're now able to correct for all the blurring of our microscope to the point that the largest blurring factor we have left is the fact that the atoms themselves are wobbling

This is very rudimentary science (water displacement), but it is a magpie doing it.

I'd read about this before but didn't get such good detail. I do have this condition and learning this has caused an epiphany. I never knew that the minds eye was actually supposed to produce images. All I've ever seen was darkness with a vague knowledge of what I should be imagining based on descriptions.

I'd read about this before but didn't get such good detail. I do have this condition and learning this has caused an epiphany. I never knew that the minds eye was actually supposed to produce images. All I've ever seen was darkness with a vague knowledge of what I should be imagining based on descriptions.

I do this when I'm doing math in my head sometimes if it's several digits. Like 278 + 153. I'll picture them in my head so I can keep track of things like carried numbers and what not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom