Science! (4 Viewers)

I can't wait to see what this baby shows us. It's going to be stunning, I'm sure.

I’ve got my fingers crossed. Webb is incredibly complex and it’s going to be parked out past the moon at L2. There is almost no way to fix it if something goes wrong. I remember there was consideration for a grappling port so an Orion capsule could attach to it and potentially conduct repairs but that went no where.

I’ve got my fingers crossed. Webb is incredibly complex and it’s going to be parked out past the moon at L2. There is almost no way to fix it if something goes wrong. I remember there was consideration for a grappling port so an Orion capsule could attach to it and potentially conduct repairs but that went no where.
I would imagine it's not a matter of if, but when, something goes wrong. I'm assuming we aren't expecting this one to be as long-lived as Hubble?

I would imagine it's not a matter of if, but when, something goes wrong. I'm assuming we aren't expecting this one to be as long-lived as Hubble?
No, they’re not. Which is insane when you consider how long and how expensive it was to develop. Honestly, the people that ran the Webb program should never be allowed to run future programs.

This could have went in the TIL thread, but I love the science here. Have you ever wondered why planes don't
usually fly straight across the Pacific ocean?

Did I miss the explanation here on what's happening? I know it said the cases were heat-related, but is it something to do with low water intake and overheating issues?

Did I miss the explanation here on what's happening? I know it said the cases were heat-related, but is it something to do with low water intake and overheating issues?
It was not very forthcoming on the explanation. Here is The Lancet article.

My non-medical reading didn't find any smoking gun so to speak. They basically did a study of temperature vs groups of people and hospital admissions. I'm not sure how they can say that correlation is causation. I was trusting the study factored these things in appropriately.

Is this science or technology? Are the two even that separable?

Just don't let if run over you.

screen-shot-2021-05-06-at-3-11-56-pm-1620328335.png

I read something ages ago that said the size of our solar system in relation to the rest of the universe was the same as an ant to the solar system

Don't know if that's accurate or not but I always remembered it

I read something ages ago that said the size of our solar system in relation to the rest of the universe was the same as an ant to the solar system

Don't know if that's accurate or not but I always remembered it
That's an interesting comparison. Seems plausible considering how big the universe is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom