Scientific proof that we win on Sunday (1 Viewer)

Jonesy77

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? This philosophical paradox predates the 3rd century B.C. when an ancient Chinese tale told of a man who was trying to sell a spear and a shield. When asked how good his spear was, he said that his spear could pierce any shield. Then, when asked how good his shield was, he said that it could defend from all spear attacks. Then one person asked him what would happen if he were to take his spear to strike his shield; the seller could not answer.

The modern telling of that story will be told again on Sunday as the “unstoppable force” of the Saints offense meets the “immovable object” that is the Jets defense. But this analogy hits a scientific snag.

Physics teaches us the fallacy of this paradox. First, there ARE unstoppable forces. For example, gravity. Gravity acts on all bodies that have mass, and in great enough strength, can even stop light. Another example is our wives’ yapping. These, like the Saints offense, cannot be stopped.

But there is no such thing as an immovable object. Physics tells us that no matter how massive or stationary an object, even the slightest force will move it, if only infinitesimally.

Therefore, we can only conclude that because, scientifically, the Jets defense is fallible, and the Saints offense is scientifically infallible, the "paradox" is resolved in favor of the Saints. Win.

I have to agree. This actually answers the other post about "finesse vs. smashmouth" teams and who would win. If there was an offense that was as close to perfect as humanly possible, then no defense, no matter how close to perfect could stop it. The offense knows where they are going, and most of the rules are predicated on offensive success. Therefore, the unstoppable force is the offense.

Even if it is 4 yards at a time.

Good sir,

I dont want to introduce religion into this debate - else we find it tacked onto the end of some EE "dinosaur' debate - but I would posit the Homeric (Simpson) question of "Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that even he couldn’t touch it?" as further proof of a Saints victory this coming weekend.

In laymans terms, the "Hot Burrito" is the Jets defense. Jesus is, of course, Breeus and all he has to do to 'touch' the burrito is feed the rock to one Mr. Pierre Thomas until it (The Jets Defense) cools down.

This is not up for debate and I suggest a mod lock this alleged 'thread'.

You lost me after BC but Ill tell you what is going to happen they Blitz Brees kills them!!! They drop back in Cover 2 or some for of deep zone PT breaks 30 at a time either way Sanchez is guna see a very different D then what he say on film from weeks one through 3 and we will CRUCS him!!!

What the....

I've been blinded!

BY SCIENCE!!

thomas_dolby.jpg

Leave your namby pamby science at home, nerd. :mad:

Football is a mans sport; no geeks allowed

Good sir,

I dont want to introduce religion into this debate - else we find it tacked onto the end of some EE "dinosaur' debate - but I would posit the Homeric (Simpson) question of "Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that even he couldn’t touch it?" as further proof of a Saints victory this coming weekend.

In laymans terms, the "Hot Burrito" is the Jets defense. Jesus is, of course, Breeus and all he has to do to 'touch' the burrito is feed the rock to one Mr. Pierre Thomas until it (The Jets Defense) cools down.

This is not up for debate and I suggest a mod lock this alleged 'thread'.

this guy gets it

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? This philosophical paradox predates the 3rd century B.C. when an ancient Chinese tale told of a man who was trying to sell a spear and a shield. When asked how good his spear was, he said that his spear could pierce any shield. Then, when asked how good his shield was, he said that it could defend from all spear attacks. Then one person asked him what would happen if he were to take his spear to strike his shield; the seller could not answer.

The modern telling of that story will be told again on Sunday as the “unstoppable force” of the Saints offense meets the “immovable object” that is the Jets defense. But this analogy hits a scientific snag.

Physics teaches us the fallacy of this paradox. First, there ARE unstoppable forces. For example, gravity. Gravity acts on all bodies that have mass, and in great enough strength, can even stop light. Another example is our wives’ yapping. These, like the Saints offense, cannot be stopped.

But there is no such thing as an immovable object. Physics tells us that no matter how massive or stationary an object, even the slightest force will move it, if only infinitesimally.

Therefore, we can only conclude that because, scientifically, the Jets defense is fallible, and the Saints offense is scientifically infallible, the "paradox" is resolved in favor of the Saints. Win.

I'm taking physics next semester........ i'm going to be PMing you A LOT!

I'm taking physics next semester........ i'm going to be PMing you A LOT!

That's fine, but don't you think you'd do better to talk to someone who can help you get a GOOD grade?

Ummm...you're 26, not in high school anymore. Science is an outstanding subject and can help explain any unanswered questions through observation. But, I guess you aren't educated enough to appreciate this important subject that has help people understand things such as the Universe, our solar system, the Sun, Earth itself, the human body...on and on. Science is also in football in case you were wondering.

Man this thread had me laughing so hard I snorted. I read it to one of my Soldiers and his facebook status is now "Can Jesus heat up a burrito so hot not even he can touch it." LOL Great stuff guys.

Ummm...you're 26, not in high school anymore. Science is an outstanding subject and can help explain any unanswered questions through observation. But, I guess you aren't educated enough to appreciate this important subject that has help people understand things such as the Universe, our solar system, the Sun, Earth itself, the human body...on and on. Science is also in football in case you were wondering.

:mad:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom