Scientists accidentally make Ethanol from CO2 (1 Viewer)

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Scientists Accidentally Discover Efficient Process to Turn CO2 Into Ethanol

Scientists at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee have discovered a chemical reaction to turn CO2 into ethanol, potentially creating a new technology to help avert climate change.

[...]

The researchers were attempting to find a series of chemical reactions that could turn CO2 into a useful fuel, when they realized the first step in their process managed to do it all by itself.

[...]

The tech involves a new combination of copper and carbon arranged into nanospikes on a silicon surface. The nanotechnology allows the reactions to be very precise, with very few contaminants.

"By using common materials, but arranging them with nanotechnology, we figured out how to limit the side reactions and end up with the one thing that we want," said Adam Rondinone.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Also not mentioned in the article, this could be marketed as "Instant Vodka: just add distilled water".

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Soon the world will be suffering the consequences of a CO2 shortage.

Bye Bye photosynthesis.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I'd like to learn a bit more.

I wonder if the corn lobby would get mad. (ethanol)
I wondered that, too.

I'm hoping to see (production) cars that use pure ethanol for fuel, designed to utilize its 113 octane rating.

I also wonder how much energy goes into the formation of the ethanol vs what we are able to extract from it.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ethanol Producer Magazine

A while ago, a reader commented on a story posted to Ethanol Producer Magazine, mentioning that he and other hot rodders are starting to build true ethanol engines that cannot burn even a cup of gasoline and that produce a lot of power from small motors. “FFV actually present ethanol economy very poorly as they tolerate ethanol but are built for gasoline,” he wrote, adding that an “ethanol engine needs 14:1 compression, 9:1 fuel air ratio and advanced ignition timing.”

Lurkquacious

Second Line, SB style
Reaction score
So just wondering: if they can make ethanol out of CO2 dissolved in water using electricity and this nanocatalyst procedure, and the combustion of ethanol results in CO2, water and heat, what is the likelihood that a more or less self-sustaining ethanol burning engine could be invented?

If that's in the realm of possibility, I don't think it's corn-farmer mad that would be the problem here :hihi:.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So just wondering: if they can make ethanol out of CO2 dissolved in water using electricity and this nanocatalyst procedure, and the combustion of ethanol results in CO2, water and heat, what is the likelihood that a more or less self-sustaining ethanol burning engine could be invented?

If that's in the realm of possibility, I don't think it's corn-farmer mad that would be the problem here :hihi:.
That's kind of where I was going with the question of how much energy was actually required to produce the ethanol, vs how much could be produced on an ethanol powered generator :9:

My guess is that it's obviously not going to produce free energy.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
How many climate change deniers will reverse course and try to make a buck off this?

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
You would have to have some sort of safetyproofed delivery system for sure. E85 is basically a solvent, an E85 capable car has to have special fuel lines, fuel tank, etc. that are resistant to its corrosive properties. I'm guessing if they start making more concentrated versions of that it becomes even more of an issue.

It's interesting though. It's said that even the most efficient gasoline engines only get about a 30 to 35 percent burn rate. Pure ethanol gas would probably at least double that.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You would have to have some sort of safetyproofed delivery system for sure. E85 is basically a solvent, an E85 capable car has to have special fuel lines, fuel tank, etc. that are resistant to its corrosive properties. I'm guessing if they start making more concentrated versions of that it becomes even more of an issue.

It's interesting though. It's said that even the most efficient gasoline engines only get about a 30 to 35 percent burn rate. Pure ethanol gas would probably at least double that.
The vehicle, of course, would need to be designed from the ground-up to take advantage of pure ethanol. As noted in the article, a 14:1 compression ratio and 9:1 A/F mixture are just two of the differences between burning ethanol and gasoline.

This of course shows how blending gasoline and ethanol really isn't the best of ideas from an efficiency perspective.

What I can't seem to find is what the potential of an engine designed to run pure ethanol is compared to a similar engine designed for pure gasoline.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How many climate change deniers will reverse course and try to make a buck off this?
I just hope this innovation isn't smothered in the crib by larger interests...or bought out and put into storage.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
No worries. Farmers who grow subsidized corn will kill this pretty quick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)