Scooter Advice Wanted (1 Viewer)

cajnwillie

Retired Air Force
Reaction score
So the other day my wife says she wants to get a scooter to go back and forth to work on to save gas...and the good news is that she found one for cheap. You know how that works. Well, I didn't commit to anything but looked at the site she found. Funny thing is, the next time I'm on the Saintsreport, there's the ad for the same scooter site, Scooter Depot.

Seems these guys sell chinese made scooters at really low prices, but it's hard to find any good information about the models they sell. I called and they waranty the engine, frame and parts for a year. The one she wants is a Shenke 250cc that goes for $1700. It's new, but a 2007 year model. That makes me think, why would they have that many left over after four years? But that's why the low, low price I'm sure.

I was hoping someone here has some experience with the maker or with Scooter Depot. Like I said, there's nothing I could find from reputable sources (like Consumer Reports) on the Chinese scooters...I also looked up Honda and Vespa scooters and they go for over $5000 new.

250cc Water-cooling Deluxe Street Legal Moped Scooter

Thanx in advance for your help...

Just buy it. I just got back from 18months in Korea and these things were all over. A few soldiers on base had them. I never hear anyone complain about owning one. You won't regret it. BUT you would never catch me on it.

Just buy it. I just got back from 18months in Korea and these things were all over. A few soldiers on base had them. I never hear anyone complain about owning one. You won't regret it. BUT you would never catch me on it.

I was also in Korea and Japan for a few tours...it's really amazing how many of these things were out there. But, I wasn't checking models.

My initial reaction was simular to yours...

Thanx for your service...I was in 24 years USAF (the easy life) and had the spent time in Korea and Japan watching boucoup scooters.

Tread carefully with the cheap, Chinese imports. Check the forums at scootdawg.com and the reviews and advice at justgottascoot.com

One of the big problems with chinese models is acquiring replacement parts (which you are likely to need on a constant basis) and finding a repair shop that services cheap imports (most don't).

After extensive research I selected a chinese import, and it's worked out pretty well so far. But not all chinese imports are created equal. You can end up with a real piece of work. Be very careful with the brand and model you're selecting.

Chinese scoots are good if you want to see what it's like to scoot around but they are made to be totally disposable. There are much better brands out there that are reliable and good quality. They are more expensive but they also last 5 times as long.

Check out Genuine or Kymco at Big Easy Scooters.
Exactly. Genuine, which makes the popular Buddy line, and Kymko are well thought of.

On a related front, look more toward Korean or Taiwanese manufacturers. Past research showed they are MUCH more consistent and reliable than the average chinese brand. They also offer you more bang for the buck than Vespas and the like.

I bought my chinese with the idea I might not ultimately ride it much. I figured if I didn't end up using it, why spend a lot of money. I loved it. I picked the brand so carefully, though, it never broke on me, so I never upgraded like I planned to. I've had it around five years now with no real problems.

Get her in an MSF class before you put her on the street on that thing. And falling off a scooter hurts just as much as falling off a real motorcycle, so ATGATT. (All the gear, all the time)

Exactly. Genuine, which makes the popular Buddy line, and Kymko are well thought of.

On a related front, look more toward Korean or Taiwanese manufacturers. Past research showed they are MUCH more consistent and reliable than the average chinese brand. They also offer you more bang for the buck than Vespas and the like.

Sym is another good brand. They are also made in Taiwan like the Buddy line. Yes, Vespas are expensive but they are well made and IMHO have the best ride. I have 2 Vespas. I rode my (relatively new) GTS to Virginia and back 2 years ago. My PX is an old classic shifty and fun as hell to ride. It is 30 years old. They last forever with proper maintenance.

So the other day my wife says she wants to get a scooter to go back and forth to work on to save gas...and the good news is that she found one for cheap. You know how that works. Well, I didn't commit to anything but looked at the site she found. Funny thing is, the next time I'm on the Saintsreport, there's the ad for the same scooter site, Scooter Depot.

Seems these guys sell chinese made scooters at really low prices, but it's hard to find any good information about the models they sell. I called and they waranty the engine, frame and parts for a year. The one she wants is a Shenke 250cc that goes for $1700. It's new, but a 2007 year model. That makes me think, why would they have that many left over after four years? But that's why the low, low price I'm sure.

I was hoping someone here has some experience with the maker or with Scooter Depot. Like I said, there's nothing I could find from reputable sources (like Consumer Reports) on the Chinese scooters...I also looked up Honda and Vespa scooters and they go for over $5000 new.

Is your wife an experienced rider? If not you should consider having her attend a riders safety course.

MSF

You seen the ad for the same site because of Google Analytics. From cookies and browsing patterns, they put up ads related to your recent activity.

I almost bought this one but my wife said she would divorce me.
Peirspeed Madass 125 | Big Easy Scooters

Seen 2 of them in the city a few weeks ago. They look bad *** and up to 80MPG.

Those Pierspeed bikes are kinda fun, but they aren't automatics. Your wife might want something easier to ride. I'd suggest the Genuines or Kymcos as well. For just a little more money, you could get her a Kymco Agility 125 and not have to worry about the CVT belt disintegrating in the middle of a ride. And honestly, if this is her first bike, a 125 is probably enough. I had a 125 that hit 50 mph, so unless she wants to take this thing on the freeway for short stints, 250 is more than she necessarily needs since it's also about twice the weight. Also, even if it's a new 2007 model, some of those belts (and assuredly the tires) have already passed their lifetime recommendation even if it hasn't been ridden.

IMO, anything you get from Scooter Depot is a crap shoot at best. I'd suggest buying from a place that has a service department, which is most places in town. Much easier to get parts that way. And yes, get her at least a jacket and a visored helmet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7XDKuJohnpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whatever you get, don't ride it in this area! :(

What state are you in? According to the LA DMV a scooter is anything over 50 cc's, otherwise it's a moped. My girlfriend just got a 50 cc Buddy from the place on Magazine, I think it was about $2,700 after taxes, fees, helmet, etc. It tops out just under 35 mph.

According to the Louisiana State Police, gas or electric scooters [over 55 cc] do not meet the safety-equipment requirements for registration. This means that these vehicles cannot be legally driven on Louisiana roads. If you are found operating a scooter on a public roadway or the shoulder of a public roadway, you will be ticketed.

What state are you in? According to the LA DMV a scooter is anything over 50 cc's, otherwise it's a moped. My girlfriend just got a 50 cc Buddy from the place on Magazine, I think it was about $2,700 after taxes, fees, helmet, etc. It tops out just under 35 mph.

I don't know what that's about. There's a ton of legally registered scooters out there. I had one. The other nice thing about a 50cc scoot though is that your wife won't have to get her motorcycle endorsement. Mine took 6 trips to the DMV, getting there an hour early to see if I was able to schedule a road test (a 2 minute circle around the parking lot) for that day. Huge pain.

A rider of any scooter under 5 horse power (about 50cc) in Louisiana is not required to have a motorcycle endorsement on their drivers license. However any vehicle must be registered and have a plate to be legal in Louisiana.

This is how the local scooter rental places are able to rent 49cc scooters to tourists without an endorsement. If you live in a town and are not planning on real long rides a 50 cc is great for getting you around. New Orleans doesn't have any hills (save overpass bridges). A 50 can go faster than any posted speed limit in the city. A 50 is excellent to learn on but may feel lacking power once you learn.

The driver of any motorcycle, motor driven cycle (which includes motor scooters) or motorized bicycle (moped), in excess of 5 horsepower, regardless of maximum speed, or size of motor or ability to pedal manually must have the endorsement.

If you are planning on getting an endorsement learn this manual. The written test is kind of tricky and there is a question on the test that comes from every page. The riding test is a joke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom