Scooter Advice Wanted (1 Viewer)

You seen the ad for the same site because of Google Analytics. From cookies and browsing patterns, they put up ads related to your recent activity.

If that's true ,I don't know what to think about the Hoveround ad I'm seeing at the top of the page unless you get free Direct TV with the NFL Gameday and a life time supply of hookers with each purchase.

Exactly. Genuine, which makes the popular Buddy line, and Kymko are well thought of.

On a related front, look more toward Korean or Taiwanese manufacturers. Past research showed they are MUCH more consistent and reliable than the average chinese brand. They also offer you more bang for the buck than Vespas and the like.

I bought my chinese with the idea I might not ultimately ride it much. I figured if I didn't end up using it, why spend a lot of money. I loved it. I picked the brand so carefully, though, it never broke on me, so I never upgraded like I planned to. I've had it around five years now with no real problems.

Chinese scoots are good if you want to see what it's like to scoot around but they are made to be totally disposable. There are much better brands out there that are reliable and good quality. They are more expensive but they also last 5 times as long.

Check out Genuine or Kymco at Big Easy Scooters.

Dudes,
Thanx one and all for the info...I've been doing more looking and positively am having a better feeling about what I'm learning. Still not sure what the final answer is, but it's probably not cheap chinese....

The Kymco's look promising...

What do a scooter and a fat woman have in common?

They are both great rides until a friend sees you on one

It's well worth mentioning what a poor match scooters are when driving on New Orleans streets. The cityscape is beautiful and the urban layout couldn't be much better. The streets, themselves, though, couldn't be much worse. The potholes and buckled pavement slabs are epidemic. If you thought it was bad in a car, just wait until you're on a scooter, which has notoriously poor suspension on average.

A wise man once told me driving a scooter on New Orleans streets is like riding the back of a baby seal as it's being clubbed to death.

OK, I said that.

I considered a scooter a few years ago when gas went through the roof. But I couldn't get past putting myself on the streets with the idiots driving oversized SUVs or pick up trucks who just love to tailgate anyone in front of them.

I always wanted to get a Honda Rukus, but at 6'5 310 I don't think I'll fit on any scooter.

633613046644638610Ruckus.jpg

It's well worth mentioning what a poor match scooters are when driving on New Orleans streets. The cityscape is beautiful and the urban layout couldn't be much better. The streets, themselves, though, couldn't be much worse. The potholes and buckled pavement slabs are epidemic. If you thought it was bad in a car, just wait until you're on a scooter, which has notoriously poor suspension on average.

A wise man once told me driving a scooter on New Orleans streets is like riding the back of a baby seal as it's being clubbed to death.

OK, I said that.

Very true. The roads here are rough. When I had that Kymco I used to bust headlight bulbs all the time just by normal driving on our terrible streets. Motorcycle pegs make it much easier to stand up and save my rear end considerable pain and suffering.

I always wanted to get a Honda Rukus, but at 6'5 310 I don't think I'll fit on any scooter.

633613046644638610Ruckus.jpg

I'm pretty sure you exceed the manufacturer's gross weight recommendations by yourself. A 50cc would only get you up to about 25 or 30 mph. There was an older Ruckus that was a 450 I think. Those things were pretty cool.

a friend of mine, yep a friend, totally not me, is looking for info on a cheap reliable scooter for less than 2 miles each way.

i know this thread is 9 years old, so maybe new advice?

also my friend wants something that doesn't look like a vespa.

someone called in on bizradio the other morning and said they used their stimulus money to buy a ride from china

two months later the parts are still strewn across the guy's garage, along with the undecipherable assembly instructions

caveat emptor

a friend of mine, yep a friend, totally not me, is looking for info on a cheap reliable scooter for less than 2 miles each way.

My brother in law has a bike shop in NOLA. He can help you find what you need used or new. If you want his number PM me. Great guy.

i had a scooter for about 10 years and loved it
a friend in NY had his much longer but finally got out of the game
he went this direction

he says the convenience (and crime deterrence) of taking it with you can't be beat
OTOH NY drivers are acclimated to such things whereas a BR driver might not be
and you're unlikely to find a used one and can probably get a decent korean 150cc scooter for about $1k

My brother in law has a bike shop in NOLA. He can help you find what you need used or new. If you want his number PM me. Great guy.
i may just do that. i'm atleast a few weeks away from buying

i had a scooter for about 10 years and loved it
a friend in NY had his much longer but finally got out of the game
he went this direction

he says the convenience (and crime deterrence) of taking it with you can't be beat
OTOH NY drivers are acclimated to such things whereas a BR driver might not be
and you're unlikely to find a used one and can probably get a decent korean 150cc scooter for about $1k

i'm looking for something 2-3 miles round trip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom