Scoring Disaparity (1 Viewer)

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Can someone please explain our scoring disparities this year? By that I mean, if our defense holds the team to below 20...our offense can't seem to score. If our offense lights it up...then our defense can't seem to put the team away. It is really bizarre:

Raiders - Offense puts up 34...yet defense gives up 35
Giants - Defense holds them to 16...yet offense scores only 13
Falcons - Offense scores 32...yet defense gives up 45
Chargers - Offense scores 35...yet defense gives up 34
Panthers - Offense puts up 41...yet defense gives up 38
Bucs - Defense holds them to 16..yet our offense scores only 11
Cardinals - Offense scores 48 yet defense gives up 41

It's like they can't even seem to be on the same page at the same time. So is this simply due to the Saints style of offense? The only "complete" games I can think of this season were the 49ers and the Rams...who are of course two of the worst teams in the league. If the Saints are high scoring then I worry because I still know it will be a shootout and go down to the final minutes. If the Saints defense is playing well then our offense looks out of synch. It is so frustrating to watch week after week.

Can someone please explain our scoring disparities this year? By that I mean, if our defense holds the team to below 20...our offense can't seem to score. If our offense lights it up...then our defense can't seem to put the team away. It is really bizarre:

It's like they can't even seem to be on the same page at the same time. So is this simply due to the Saints style of offense? The only "complete" games I can think of this season were the 49ers and the Rams...who are of course two of the worst teams in the league. If the Saints are high scoring then I worry because I still know it will be a shootout and go down to the final minutes. If the Saints defense is playing well then our offense looks out of synch. It is so frustrating to watch week after week.

Very interesting observation. It's been one or the other all season. The good news is even though we've lost 8 times, we've been close in every game.

It seems like we only have enough breakfast on game days to feed one unit or the other.

I noticed that the entire season.

Only thing I can say is, good QB's playing lights out were the reason for the high scores.

They haven't figured out how to play complementary ball and they are both missing some important pieces to do that.

Defense needs to fix the Secondary, Passrush, and Coverage at LB

Offense needs to get a Mover at G and a 3rd down back or two. Traditionally RB has been a very talented position for us and this year it was just average.

Hightower/Ingram are all you really had and in the past at one point you had Ingram, Sproles, Ivory, Pierre all at the RB position.

The inconsistency of this team is maddening. Id rather go 2-14 and know we suck than to get glimpses as to how good we can be if we just had some consistency. To me, that all goes back to coaching.

We also have no identity. We have no mean streak. We have no swagger. No kill instinct. Its like this team is like those people in life that always find themselves in conflict. They aren't comfortable blowing people our or getting blown out so they have to make every game interesting.

Defense didn't give up one of those TDs yesterday. One was the strip sack recovery taken back for a TD. While it may technically count as points given up by the D in the stat sheet (I'm not sure if it does or not, I'm just assuming it does) our defense did not give up that score.

If our pass rush was just a tad better, we would have totally neutralized Palmer and Newton, and maybe won a couple of tight games we lost.

We were just 1/4 second late on dozens of QB hits.

Bizarre and a good reason why we 6-8 and not going to the playoffs again.

Will $35 million or so in cap space for free agents and a solid draft (maybe only 1-3 solid contributers from it) be enough to fix things this offseason? I think so!

The good news is even though we've lost 8 times, we've been close in every game.
We were never close in the Detroit game. They led from beginning to end and owned us the whole game. We also were never really close in the Atlanta game. There was a point in the season where we looked liked we were on the verge of turning things around and making a run, but that started to fall apart with the blocked extra point returned against us in the Denver game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom