Scott Shanle (1 Viewer)

I like Shanle, but he's not going to the Pro Bowl. If any Saint LB goes, which is doubtful, it would be Vilma.

I do not recall a thread where I have agreed this wholeheartedly with Shawn's every post.

Shanle played pretty good last year and is even better this year. He is clearly thriving in 3G's system. And I agree with the poster who pointed out that what we gave up to get him--a late-round pick--should be taken into consideration. He has proven to be one of Loomis's best trades. As far as Celek goes, that dude is a load. I don't think many linebackers could take him down in the open field for no gain after contact. Shanle at least wrapped up enough to where other defenders could get over and help get him down. Despite his production, in the big scheme of things, Celek wasn't a big factor in the game.

i agree it was part of the gameplan, but if you recall i said that he and Fujita would struggle against teams with better personnel than the Detroit Lions, well it proved this weekend. take nothing away fromt he guy he didn't miss any tackles, but more teams will follow the script of attacking our LB in the short to intermediate game to keep drives alive with hopes of keeping our Offense of the field cause they know they won't be able to attack the perimeter with the way Porter and Greer are playing right now. so yes Shanle will be exposed especially against teams like the Jets, Falcons, Patriots, Cowboys who all have very good recieving TE's.

You seem to be talking in circles.

You call it being "exposed," in the same breath that you acknowledge that the play of our corners is going to force QB's to throw to the tight end.

Good tight ends beat linebackers all the time. As TCUDan pointed out, well placed check down passes to the tight end are hard, if not impossible to defend. So I agree that we're going to see a lot of throws to the tight end over the course of the season, but that's hardly an indictment of Shanle or the play of the linebackers. Really, it feels like you are reaching for some kind of criticism.

If opponents want to attack the Saints defense by picking on the linebackers and throwing to the tight ends--let them. You aren't going to score points very quickly that way. If teams do that, they are going to lose.

I do not recall a thread where I have agreed this wholeheartedly with Shawn's every post.

That's a bald faced lie. You've agreed with my posts on any thread where the premise was "women are crazy."

i agree it was part of the gameplan, but if you recall i said that he and Fujita would struggle against teams with better personnel than the Detroit Lions, well it proved this weekend. take nothing away fromt he guy he didn't miss any tackles, but more teams will follow the script of attacking our LB in the short to intermediate game to keep drives alive with hopes of keeping our Offense of the field cause they know they won't be able to attack the perimeter with the way Porter and Greer are playing right now. so yes Shanle will be exposed especially against teams like the Jets, Falcons, Patriots, Cowboys who all have very good recieving TE's.

You're talking about him as if he's getting beat down the seam for a 25 yd. completion. That's when a LB is getting beat by a TE. He hasn't given up a TD to a TE nor has he gotten beaten for a significant completion (neither of our LBs have). What you're talking about, again, amounts to checkdowns. So him making the tackles on the play and preventing the big play is exactly what he's supposed to be doing. Especially in zone coverage where you always play the deep route first (football 101... you play the curl before the flat).

Tony Gonzalez will make a couple of plays against the defense, but you're really reaching by trying to criticize Shanle's good play by citing bad plays that haven't even happened.

You seem to be talking in circles.

You call it being "exposed," in the same breath that you acknowledge that the play of our corners is going to force QB's to throw to the tight end.

Good tight ends beat linebackers all the time. As TCUDan pointed out, well placed check down passes to the tight end are hard, if not impossible to defend. So I agree that we're going to see a lot of throws to the tight end over the course of the season, but that's hardly an indictment of Shanle or the play of the linebackers. Really, it feels like you are reaching for some kind of criticism.

If opponents want to attack the Saints defense by picking on the linebackers and throwing to the tight ends--let them. You aren't going to score points very quickly that way. If teams do that, they are going to lose.

i'm not talking in circles i'm saying teams will use the short to intermediate routes to expose the weaknesses of our Defense and that is Outside Linebacker play. spin it any way you want but that is where teams will attack us. so to praise Shanle because he had 11 tackles, 6 of them came when he was trailing in coverage on a TE while he was accumlating 104 yards recieving. so do we call that playing great? i wouldn't nessecarily say that.

now i'm not saying this will lead us losing, but if they can burn the clock with a short controlled passing game and not allow our Offense to get onto the field, it could give us less scoring chances then if we could actually defend that pretty well. i agree a Pass Rush would help in this aspect of the game but Linebacker who could actually cover would too.

I think all of our linebackers are playing fine.

Next sunday will be a very interesting challenge for our linebackers. Fred Jackson is playing with great versatility and strength. Also, the no-huddle style of the bills will not allow the constant rotation of players.

Fujita has been going out for the nickle back on passing situations, this week we may not have that luxury.

I know that we can win in a shootout, but if we allow the bills to play the game at their own rythm, we are going to have a very tired defense for the second half of the game.

i'm not talking in circles i'm saying teams will use the short to intermediate routes to expose the weaknesses of our Defense and that is Outside Linebacker play. spin it any way you want but that is where teams will attack us. so to praise Shanle because he had 11 tackles, 6 of them came when he was trailing in coverage on a TE while he was accumlating 104 yards recieving. so do we call that playing great? i wouldn't nessecarily say that.

now i'm not saying this will lead us losing, but if they can burn the clock with a short controlled passing game and not allow our Offense to get onto the field, it could give us less scoring chances then if we could actually defend that pretty well. i agree a Pass Rush would help in this aspect of the game but Linebacker who could actually cover would too.

As has been stated numerous times, a dumpoff pass to a TE is very difficult to break up, and even the best LBs in coverage allow that catch unless they pop them so hard that they drop it. That said, Celek was targeted 11 times and made 8 catches. He averaged only 1.9 YAC, so obviously Shanle was doing something right.

As has been stated numerous times, a dumpoff pass to a TE is very difficult to break up, and even the best LBs in coverage allow that catch unless they pop them so hard that they drop it. That said, Celek was targeted 11 times and made 8 catches. He averaged only 1.9 YAC, so obviously Shanle was doing something right.

I don't know about that logic. Its nice to limit yards after the catch, but its even nicer to limit the catches. Our LB coverage made Celek look like CELEK!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom