Scott Shanle (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can finally put to rest all the bad PR Scott Shanle has been getting around here. The man has played lights out for the Saints since he's been here and has been underappreciated.

He has 2 INT's already and is one of the leading tacklers on the team. If any LB needs to get bad PR it would be Scott Fujita, who hasn't done much.

i agree Shanle has made to nice INT's the past 2 weeks but his tackle numbers yesterday were a little inflated because he was on Celek most of the day and i wouldn't say allowing a guy 100 yards recieving would be shutting him down by any means.

Shanle is playing the best out of the 3, which pains me to say because Vilma is my favorite player (besides Breesus). Fujita has just been invisible, which he has been known to do for stretches of games.

Shanle is playing the best out of the 3, which pains me to say because Vilma is my favorite player (besides Breesus). Fujita has just been invisible, which he has been known to do for stretches of games.

I don't know about that. Vilma makes the front 7 calls and has also played well...for some reason people understand that the defensive side of the ball is NOT something you can look to stats to understand...offense, maybe, but defense is a true unit, stats don't matter

I was upset with him letting celek (sp?) dragging him for 5 yards. I agree though that he is playing the best of the 3. That was one of the only plays i was upset with him. Above average game on his part. He will approve more throughout this year!!!

I still like Fujita and Vilma over Shanle. I know Shanle's solid, makes few mental mistakes, led the team in tackles yesterday, and even had an interception. I just don't know about his cover skills on backs and tight ends ... he (and the rest of the secondary) made that Eagle tight end look way too good yesterday. I like the athleticism of Dunbar, but I don't see him getting any playing time soon unless there's an injury. Shanle isn't the athlete Dunbar is, but right know he's the better football player.

No he hasn't, and neither has Vilma.

All the linebackers have made some big plays in the past two weeks.

I don't know what people are looking for--Shanle has played well--it's just that his interceptions are more visible. Vilma has made some fantastic plays running to the sideline and sniffing out run plays. Fujita has had huge hits on short yardage plays each of the last two weeks.

And the notion that it was Shanle's fault that the tight end had a 100 yard receiving day is completely stupid.

It is very hard to see most defensive play on TV because that's not what the camera focuses on. Shanle made on nice play on that INT in what looked like a zone defense, but other than that, he really seems to struggle in pass coverage.

And the notion that it was Shanle's fault that the tight end had a 100 yard receiving day is completely stupid.

Yep. The tight end lined up at a wide variety of spots on the field. And even if he hadn't, it wouldn't have been Shanle's sole responsibility the entire game.

Shanle's actually been pretty good in coverage (really passing situations in general) since 2006. It's been his run defense I've been so down on over the years, and thus far that's been pretty good.

he made the tackle on 6 of his 8 recpetions. that's pretty much 3/4 of his yardage

<table style="width: 579px; height: 283px;" class="data-table1" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="thd1 NOcolors"><td colspan="6">Defense Statistics </td> </tr> <tr class="thd2"> <td title="Player Name"> Player </td> <td title="Total Tackles"> Tot </td> <td title="Solo Tackles"> Solo </td> <td title="Tackle Assists"> Assist </td> <td title="Number of Sacks"> Sck </td> <td title="Fumbles Forced"> Fumb </td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Scott Shanle </td> <td>16</td> <td>14</td> <td>2</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Roman Harper </td> <td>13</td> <td>12</td> <td>1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Jonathan Vilma </td> <td>11</td> <td>9</td> <td>2</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Jabari Greer </td> <td>9</td> <td>8</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Tracy Porter </td> <td>8</td> <td>7</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Scott Fujita </td> <td>8</td> <td>6</td> <td>2</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Sedrick Ellis </td> <td>5</td> <td>5</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Malcolm Jenkins </td> <td>4</td> <td>4</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Darren Sharper </td> <td>4</td> <td>4</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="tbdy1"> <td> Anthony Hargrove </td> <td>5</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>0</td> <td>0

</td></tr></tbody></table>

No he hasn't, and neither has Vilma.

All the linebackers have made some big plays in the past two weeks.

I don't know what people are looking for--Shanle has played well--it's just that his interceptions are more visible. Vilma has made some fantastic plays running to the sideline and sniffing out run plays. Fujita has had huge hits on short yardage plays each of the last two weeks.

I realize it's not just Shanle's responsibility for Selick yesterday. In general, over the past 3 seasons that he's been here, his biggest weakness has been coverage on backs and tight ends. Some of the short stuff yesterday was his responsibility and he (and the rest of the secondary) struggled getting the guy on the ground. His overall play so far has been solid, but so has the play of Vilma and Fujita.

Like I said, Vilma is my favorite Defensive player, and I guess I just expect him to have world class stats each game, but he's not leading the team in tackles which is pretty much my basis for saying that Shanle is playing better right NOW.

He's playing well right now and he had a decent year last year. Lets not go overboard and say hes been amazing since he gotten here.

Like I said, Vilma is my favorite Defensive player, and I guess I just expect him to have world class stats each game, but he's not leading the team in tackles which is pretty much my basis for saying that Shanle is playing better right NOW.

bad basis...which is why that is not true

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom