Scouts Inc Chat (2 Viewers)

shrike3000

Holding Out of TC
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=13528

The Saints questions...

Som (San Diego, CA): Given 20/20 hindsight, would you have kept Brees?

SportsNation Matt Williamson: No, but I would have franchised him and traded him for a 2nd round pick or something along those lines. Letting him walk for nothing was no good. I love Brees, but after they drafted and invested in Rivers, they had to get him on the field and you just can't have that much $ tied up in a backup QB or your salary cap is screwed.

Jonathan, New Orleans: Do you think the Saints can continue their consistency to win the NFC South division and conquer home field advantage if they beat the Giants on X-mas Eve?

SportsNation Matt Williamson: I have been doubting the Saints all year, but Payton and Brees are really doing an oustanding job. That being said, there still isn't that much talent on their roster even though they mask it well. 9 or 10 wins and a probable playoff birth-not home field though.

Kevin (San Diego: You said the saints don't have much talent on their team? Are you for real. Do you know who they have on offense? Surely you must be talking about the defense

SportsNation Matt Williamson: I love their skill positions on O, but their OL and TEs is what I was referring to and yes, also the D with the exception of DE.

I had no problem with his answer, and I think to most outsiders, our OL is probably still a bit of a question mark because of all the unknown commodities. The 8 sacks is great, but the lack of a running attack in the last few weeks won't get your OL all that great pub.

If you can somehow toss your preconceptions and decide that our OL is actually full of young, talented guys who are meshing faster than anyone could expect, then yes, this offense is loaded. But fresh in anyone's mind has to be the immense pressure on our run and pass attacks brought by the Ravens, which image would keep our offense out of elite status.

But overall, the guy said hey, I wasn't a believer, but this now looks like a playoff team. Fair enough.

Seems like the 72 Dolphins had a no name defense!Just goes to show you don't need a roster full of pro bowlers.
S.C.

Face it the Saints are a small market team. Very few of the pundits have been following the Saints as closely as teams such as the Cowboys, Redskins etc. I was listening to Mike and Mike on Monday and Mike Golic is still saying he is surprised that we traded Donte Stallworth and that we have done so well without him. That statment speaks volumes.

Seems like the 72 Dolphins had a no name defense!Just goes to show you don't need a roster full of pro bowlers.
S.C.

The 2001 Patriots had an entire team of no-namers. Their biggest name was Drew Bledsoe, and he was on the bench.

Of course, shortly after 2001 many Patriots rapidly became "names"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom