Seafood Gumbo! (1 Viewer)

I buy Savoie's roux already made. It's faster than stirring. I don't use sausage or crawfish tails in a seafood gumbo. I find they give it a funny taste. I use onion, garlic, bell pepper and a little celery. Crab fingers, white lump crab meat, oysters, and shrimp and season to taste. Slap your momma good.

I buy Savoie's roux already made. It's faster than stirring. I don't use sausage or crawfish tails in a seafood gumbo. I find they give it a funny taste. I use onion, garlic, bell pepper and a little celery. Crab fingers, white lump crab meat, oysters, and shrimp and season to taste. Slap your momma good.

To each their own. I pretty much grew up on sausage in my seafood gumbo. I admit this is the first time I have put crawfish in it, I really have never liked oysters so you'll never catch me eat or make a gumbo with oysters. I probably would buy roux, however, I can't find that stuff on the shelf in NC.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who isn't very familiar with gumbo. Use different combinations of whatever when making your gumbo. You can also use a different oil when making the roux.

It's just not a preference for my gumbo.

my bride goes high water with celery in chicken soup too..i dont blame you..and here in b-low they serve raw celery and carrots for side to chicken wings with bleu cheese..

spinach raw or steamed i can handle..celery..won't happen and i hate the flavor..not just the texture..

i'm not down with celery..even celery salt in dry rub for a beef roast

all hail to the king..which is garlic

my bride goes high water with celery in chicken soup too..i dont blame you..and here in b-low they serve raw celery and carrots for side to chicken wings with bleu cheese..

spinach raw or steamed i can handle..celery..won't happen and i hate the flavor..not just the texture..

i'm not down with celery..even celery salt in dry rub for a beef roast

all hail to the king..which is garlic

Yeah man, the way I see it, why put celery in it when you can just put more garlic.

There's no "real" problem with using a can roux. However, you can't control the exact color of your roux and you can't sautee your veggies in the roux. I really don't like not being able to pick the exact darkness of my roux b/c depending on what I'm making I might want any number of different degrees.

This is the beauty of gumbo. You can make it the way you want it with the stuff you like in it. I have never eaten a gumbo that was not good. It may not have been as great as the way I fix it but it was still good.

Always use finely strained shrimp stock for the liquid in Gumbo. It will improve the flavor immensely; courtesy of Chef Paul Prudhomme.

I've got around 12 quarts in the freezer for such recipes.

Looks good, but I agree with the no crawfish or sausage in my seafood gumbo, but to each there own.

I like my roux really dark for chicken and sausage, and almost as dark for seafood gumbo. Always made from scratch with flour + vegetable oil as I like to control the color and sauté my vegetables in my roux. Definitely use the onion, celery, and bell pepper trinity and add a little garlic towards the end. Other than that it's sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper.

Here are a few things I've picked up while learning to make roux myself (if anyone hasn't attempted it yet and wants to). Use a flat spatula to stir your roux- only takes about 3-4 "passes" to completely stir it. Don't change the temperature of your roux quickly as it can separate and ruin your gumbo- I start boiling my chicken + sausage and stock on the side before adding it in.

Here are a few things I've picked up while learning to make roux myself (if anyone hasn't attempted it yet and wants to). Use a flat spatula to stir your roux- only takes about 3-4 "passes" to completely stir it. Don't change the temperature of your roux quickly as it can separate and ruin your gumbo- I start boiling my chicken + sausage and stock on the side before adding it in.

Another tip for seafood gumbo - add the shrimp/crab/oysters at the very end (10-15 minutes max) or they will overcook. It's even prudent to saute them a bit separately and add right before serving (particularly the oysters) - that also allows you to control the amount of seafood per serving and doesn't destroy your seafood on subsequent reheatings.

Although probably not readily available outside of south LA, gumbo crabs are a must in addition to your shrimp stock.

Oh, and a wooden spoon is a must for making roux, IMO.

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard that you can freeze roux. If true, I will make a big batch instead of always having to make it fresh.

Shrimp stock goes absolutely beautiful with gumbo and etoffee.

Alright, now I is hongrey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom