Seafood Gumbo! (1 Viewer)

Been meaning to post on this thread... and plus rep for a good looking bowl o gumbo...

Joe

Everything except for the roux is easy. The roux takes a very long time to make and it involves low heat and constant stirring. I make mine a little on the light side. Some folks can make their roux dark in under 20 minutes using higher heat, but you have to be careful because it can burn really easy.

I tell you what, if for some reason we have to travel to Philly in the playoffs, I may try to make it up there and we could tailgate and I will make gumbo.

That's a very light blonde roux. I prefer my seafood to have a much, much darker version, but it's all good and not as hard as people make it out to be.

The easy way is to combine 1c all purpose flour by whisking it into 1c hot fat. Use duck fat, pork fat, vegetable oil or whatever, but get it hot to nearly smoking in a heavy pan and toss in flour. It'll sizzle and you have to keep whisking constantly for 10 or so minutes, but by the time it gets to the color of mahogany, you're golden. Then add veggies and proceed to yumminess.

Attachments

• phone pix 136.jpg
    phone pix 136.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1
1 (Do not put the trinity in the roux when the pot is on the fire and it is at a high heat. It will burn!!)

To each their own, but I completely disagree. The key to my award winning all time greatest gumbo is exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. I'm not saying yours isn't great, but just different.

Definitely have your trinity chopped and ready, but I get my roux way darker and hot to smoking where you think it's about to burn and then toss in my onions.

Putting in the onions for a couple minutes before the rest of the trinity allows you to get an even darker and more rich flavor and a darker color as you caramelize the onions which not only makes them sweeter, but cools down the roux so you don't burn the peppers and celery. Add garlic last just before stock.

This is the beauty of gumbo. You can make it the way you want it with the stuff you like in it. I have never eaten a gumbo that was not good. It may not have been as great as the way I fix it but it was still good.

That's god's truth.

This is what I made, this was the first time trying it without using some seasoning mix of some sorts. It's not bad at all but it's lacking a little something.

Attachments

• 100_0570.jpg
    100_0570.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
To each their own, but I completely disagree. The key to my award winning all time greatest gumbo is exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. I'm not saying yours isn't great, but just different.

Definitely have your trinity chopped and ready, but I get my roux way darker and hot to smoking where you think it's about to burn and then toss in my onions.

Putting in the onions for a couple minutes before the rest of the trinity allows you to get an even darker and more rich flavor and a darker color as you caramelize the onions which not only makes them sweeter, but cools down the roux so you don't burn the peppers and celery. Add garlic last just before stock.

We are on the same wavelength here. I much prefer a dark roux for it's richer flavor. But I've always thrown the onions, garlic, peppers and celery at the same time. I'll try onions first next time, which may be this weekend. I have the smoked turkey carcass from Thanksgiving to make the stock.

The easy way is to combine 1c all purpose flour by whisking it into 1c hot fat. Use duck fat, pork fat, vegetable oil or whatever, but get it hot to nearly smoking in a heavy pan and toss in flour. It'll sizzle and you have to keep whisking constantly for 10 or so minutes, but by the time it gets to the color of mahogany, you're golden. Then add veggies and proceed to yumminess.

That's exactly how I do it. I made chicken stew Monday night and timed it until I got a dark roux and it was just at about 10 minutes. In fact, I'm heating up a bowl of the stew and rice right now. :17:

We are on the same wavelength here. I much prefer a dark roux for it's richer flavor. But I've always thrown the onions, garlic, peppers and celery at the same time. I'll try onions first next time, which may be this weekend. I have the smoked turkey carcass from Thanksgiving to make the stock.

I definately prefer darker as well, but like I said, I made it for my wifes family and they do not want me to go darker for some reason. I like the onions first idea as well, I will definately try it next time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom