Seafood Gumbo! (1 Viewer)

Recipe? Never had gumbo before. I live in Pennsylvania and it's just not a known meal around these parts.

Recipe? Never had gumbo before. I live in Pennsylvania and it's just not a known meal around these parts.

Everything except for the roux is easy. The roux takes a very long time to make and it involves low heat and constant stirring. I make mine a little on the light side. Some folks can make their roux dark in under 20 minutes using higher heat, but you have to be careful because it can burn really easy.

I tell you what, if for some reason we have to travel to Philly in the playoffs, I may try to make it up there and we could tailgate and I will make gumbo.

It takes me about 15 mins to make a nice chocolate colored roux. Med high heat and stirring to keep it from burning. Nothing to it.

Saints 4 Life, here's a really good recipe you can't go wrong with.

http://www.nomenu.com/recipes/ChickenGumbo.html

If you don't have andouille, just use whatever smoked or polska kielbasa you have.

Usually it takes me about 30 minutes. I'll usually start off on just above medium heat and lower the temp after about 10-15 minutes. I generally like my roux darker, but my wife's family likes it more of a medium color.

yeah up where we are it's tough to find at a good eatery..but i have one place that is no miss here. anyway..its not all that time consuming to make as others suggest. we make it maybe twice a year at home..wish it would be more..and with todays store in variety roux can be found up here in our yankee-ville. good luck and give it a try home-ade

I just made some. This is how I deal with a division rival maintaining their lead.

hey mike..when you find time..post recipe if you can share..

today i learned of a red roux..tomato based..guess this is a mississippi thing..

1 1/2 # shrimp

1 # crawfish tails.

1 # crab meat.

Andouille sausage or just plain smoked pork sausage.

Salt and pepper to taste

Creole seasoning to taste.

1 large bell pepper.

1 large yellow onion.

4 cloves of garlic finely chopped.

A couple of bayleaves.

1 cup of flour, 1 cup of vegetable oil for roux.

Concentrated Crab Boil.

1) Peel shrimp and boil the shells in about 6 quarts of water with about a teaspoon of crab boil and the bayleaves for 20-30 min. Afterwards, Remove all the shells and leave the shrimp stock on medium fire. While the shrimp shells are boiling, You can start on the roux.

2) Make sure you have the onion, garlic and bell pepper chopped before you start the roux. Again, I usually stir the roux in either a large cast-iron pot or in a stainless steel pot. I generally don't go higher than medium heat for the first 10 min. and then I cut the heat down to medium low. You can make the roux as dark as you like, just don't let it burn. STIR, STIR, STIR!!!
If you see little black specks appear in the roux than that means it is burning and you should probably start over.
Once you acheive the desired color, remove from heat to cool slightly. (Do not put the trinity in the roux when the pot is on the fire and it is at a high heat. It will burn!!)
I usually just spoon the trinity in from there and return to the low heat to saute the veggies a little before I combine it all.

3) Add the roux to the shrimp stock and turn the heat up to a boil. I would also add my salt, pepper and creole seasoning at this point. Once the boil is acheived, add in your sausage, crab, crawfish and shrimp and my personal preferance, a few dashes of worstershire sauce. The gumbo will need to come back to a boil. I let mine boil for about 15-20 min. and than I reduce it to a simmer. Let it simmer for another 15 min or so and serve it on rice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom