Seahawks still recovering from 5-quarter game; "carbing up" on sweet potatoes (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Seahawks as a whole played five quarters Sunday night, but the members of their defense were forced to carry most of the load.

And as a result of guys playing 100 snaps or more in a game, the Seahawks are focusing this week on recovery.

Via Sheil Kapadia of ESPN.com, coach Pete Carroll has ordered his players to get eight or nine hours of sleep, hydrate often, and load up on carbohydrates after last week’s marathon against the Cardinals. His work this week is in conjunction with director of player health and performance Sam Ramsden, who is bringing the sports science and the holiday side dishes.

“I’ve been big on sweet potatoes,” Seahawks cornerback Deshawn Shead said. “I love sweet potatoes, so it’s been easy. You don’t have to tell me to carb up on sweet potatoes.”

More about how exhausted they were at Seahawks still focused on recovery after last week

So is "sweet potatoes" there code word for PEDs?

Ha! Could be - the meaning of the statement stays the same:

“I’ve been big on PEDs,” Seahawks cornerback Deshawn Shead said. “I love PEDs, so it’s been easy. You don’t have to tell me to carb up when I'm on PEDs.”

I am going to be an optimist because why the heck not.

My plan of attack against the Seahawks based on their last game would be a straight up Texas Tech air raid offense. Four and five wide every play, lots of out-routes and quick passes designed to make their defense run sideline to sideline. No huddle, never huddle. You don't have to quick snap it, but just the pressure of having to be in your stance constantly on the defensive line and not knowing when the snap is coming will be exhausting. Get them tired, force them to sub more than they want, and hope the defense comes up with a random stop and sneak out a win. 42-38 Saints.

I am going to be an optimist because why the heck not.

My plan of attack against the Seahawks based on their last game would be a straight up Texas Tech air raid offense. Four and five wide every play, lots of out-routes and quick passes designed to make their defense run sideline to sideline. No huddle, never huddle. You don't have to quick snap it, but just the pressure of having to be in your stance constantly on the defensive line and not knowing when the snap is coming will be exhausting. Get them tired, force them to sub more than they want, and hope the defense comes up with a random stop and sneak out a win. 42-38 Saints.

I've been saying this for years (or whenever we play Seattle). Stop trying to match their physicality. Spread them out, do what we do, go up-tempo, and put pressure on their defense.

Hopefully, with us finally getting them in our home stadium, not having to worry about the crowd, we come out 4-5 wide and see how it goes.

I really think Brees and our young trio of great receivers have what it takes to pick that defense apart.

This is more alarming (for them)

Sherman said he couldn’t make it from the showers to the locker room by himself, and needed Wagner’s help to get there. He received two bags of intravenous fluid after the game, but said he wasn’t himself on the trip home.

“They didn’t let me lose consciousness, but I definitely wasn’t focused,” Sherman said. “That’s why they wouldn’t let me go for a long time until I got my focus back, and they looked me in the eye, and they just kept saying I wasn’t right and I was looking clammy and stuff like that. But after a while, you get some energy, you get some food in you, you get your stuff back.

“I was too tired to be that concerned. I think other people were more concerned than I was, but I was just trying to get cooled down and get some energy back in me. It was just a blur. I don’t remember being too concerned. I remember them saying something about a stretcher and paramedics, and I was like, ‘Yeah that’s not how we’re going to end this today.'”

That kind of reaction makes you wonder how much they’ll have in the tank when they fly across country again this week, to play at New Orleans in a 1 p.m. start.

I've already said my piece about what I think about all this in another thread, but man, this team is going to be drained by the time we play.

That flight is going to take a lot out of them. They are ripe for the pickin'.

The fact Settle showed zero signs of fatigue after 5 quarters makes me think they will be just fine. I'd be more worried about our LT position and keeping Brees healthy.

Oh man, I really hope the Saints are reading this thread and the reports from the Seahawks camp. But my cautious side is telling me they (Seattle) could be fine and are just trying to catch us off guard with our pants down.

Sweet potato smoke screen. That's just lame.
Don't fall for it Saints!!!!!

1a1.jpg

I've been saying this for years (or whenever we play Seattle). Stop trying to match their physicality. Spread them out, do what we do, go up-tempo, and put pressure on their defense.

Hopefully, with us finally getting them in our home stadium, not having to worry about the crowd, we come out 4-5 wide and see how it goes.

I really think Brees and our young trio of great receivers have what it takes to pick that defense apart.

I think we'll have a very vocal contingent of Seahawks fans in attendance.

This is mostly due to season ticket holders selling to the highest bidder rather than attending games. ;) :covri::hihi:

I've been a huge critic of Fleener, but he's put on his hard hat and become a force.

Sherman on Thomas. Shead on Cooks. Lane or Thorpe on Snead. As good as Seattle is on defense, I can't see them being arrogant enough to not at least play a single high against the Saints, and if they stay in base against three and four receiver sets... they're not going to stop the Saints. Way too many lopsided mismatches in base against wide sets.

I give Fleener the edge against any LB on Seattle's roster. Luke Keuchly couldn't stop Fleener, and there's no better LB in the league than him. Add in how physical Fleener has been playing, Earl Thomas is just flat out too small to cover him. We all remember what Graham did to Mathieu in the dome a few years ago. No matter how physical Mathieu was, he was just way too small to be anything more than a bug on the windshield. That leaves a less than 100% Kam Chancellor on Fleener.

And that's if Chancellor even plays. If Chancellor doesn't play, now they're even more pressed to find a way to stop Fleener.

This Saints offense is absolutely disgusting, and I mean that in a good way. Just imagine what next season will look like when Thomas isn't a rookie, and both he and Fleener are fully integrated into the offense.

The Saints may be the most clueless franchise in NFL history when it comes to defense, but no one in NFL history will ever come close to the on-going run Payton/Brees are on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom