Sean Made a Mistake by Leaving (1 Viewer)

SaintsMan209

SB This year!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sean is an amazing person and I'm not trying to take anything away from what he did for New Orleans but let's not forget a few important points:

1. Sean doesn't get along with everyone. He has 'his' people and as we've seen you could end up in the dog house super fast. Look at some of the crazy Drama we've experienced with Junior Gallette, Akiem Hicks, Jimmy Graham, Darren Sprolles, and Michael Thomas. The guy can be super petty and we all know it.

2. It was the Saints defense that won the Super Bowl in 2009/10. Don't forget the Vikings were in field goal range when Favre threw that interception.

3. You want it? We'll give it to you! Anything Sean wanted, he got. Ownership gave him a blank check and even paid him handsomely during the bountygate season.

4. Drew BREES! Sean Payton would not be Sean Payton without Drew Brees and we know the same can be said for Brees. Sean never developed another quarterback. Instead, he got lost in the quandary of a gimmick of Taysom Hill. Jameis looked pretty good this year but still wasn't making calls at the line AND was often running for his life.

5. Referees. Say what you want, but Payton talked a lot of trash. He's been talking trash for a while and causing the league offices to target him. KC is small market team, they won the SB and haven't had the drama we've had.

6. Fanbase. We are the best fans and he will NEVER find any better.

I think he found the perfect situation here in NOLA. The front office is as good as it gets, ownership is supportive but hands-off, and he had one of the all-time great QBs leading his offense for all but one season.

But, he’s still a great coach and likely to find success at his next stop, particularly since he’ll certainly makes sure it’s the right fit.

I don’t think he’ll have the same success as here, though, unless he finds another QB like Brees. The Saints were a perfect fit.

It was a perfect storm. I always said he wasn't a QB guru. He never developed any but Brees and most will say he didn't really develop Brees they just found a good path together. I can't think of one QB he drafted that turned into anything with us. I don't want to Bash the guy. I am grateful for all the success, I just don't hold him up on a pedestal.

I think he truly left cause he was burnt out. Nothing more nothing less. I couldnt imagine all he dealt with.
i take him at his word that he wasn't 'burnt out' (as i take him at his word that he enjoyed/appreciated being evacuated)
but in his presser he did say he started mulling this last year - which is normal. he's been attached at the hip to Drew for a decade and a half and Drew's retirement would be a natural point of reflection
and there was very little this year with Covid and injuries that excited him enough to stay
so i think it's less burnt out that he just felt like he was spinning his wheels
his situation was comfortable and creative or intellectually/emotionally curious people can bristle at being comfortable

now, like others imply, if he comes back to coaching he's going to miss the relative freedom he had with Ms B and Loomis - but i'm sure his eyes are wide open about that

Maybe Payton links up with Russ in Seattle. Just a thought

I think he truly left cause he was burnt out. Nothing more nothing less. I couldnt imagine all he dealt with.
I believe this as well. I know people want to find ulterior motives but I truly believe he was burned out. I just think about as a fan how emotionally draining the 17-21 seasons were. You had the Minneapolis Miracle, followed by the no call, followed by overtime loss to the Vikings in 3 consecutive years. Just as a fan I didn't know how I could come back from that the next year, imagine if you are a coach and all the work that went into those seasons.

It was a perfect storm. I always said he wasn't a QB guru. He never developed any but Brees and most will say he didn't really develop Brees they just found a good path together. I can't think of one QB he drafted that turned into anything with us. I don't want to Bash the guy. I am grateful for all the success, I just don't hold him up on a pedestal.

That's just not true. He developed Tony Romo and Brees went from a good QB to a HoF QB with Payton. He also developed Chase Daniel into a competent backup and sometime starter and he actually turned Taysom Hill into about an average NFL QB which was no easy feat. And, he had already stopped Winston from being a turnover machine when he left.

And, when you have a HoF QB, it's not like the QBs sitting behind them get a chance to play and be good. Still, several of the guys who sat behind Brees went on to be solid NFL backups. And, given that we never spent a high pick on a QB, that's not bad at all.

Finally, I think if you asked Brees, he would tell you that Payton was a big part of his success. And, all this ignores how innovative he was on offense. Things that are now taken for granted in the NFL started with Sean Payton. i.e. three level passing routes, bunch formations to throw the ball, big guys in the slot, TEs down the seams, etc.

It really is this… you could feel it coming off him during the season. God only knows everything him and the team went through this season… so many games without a large amount of your starters, Covid rules, the hurricane on and on and on. The amount of stress and it probably pushed it right over the edge. I’m sad that he’s moved on, but believe me, i understand it.

Sean is an amazing person and I'm not trying to take anything away from what he did for New Orleans but let's not forget a few important points:

1. Sean doesn't get along with everyone. He has 'his' people and as we've seen you could end up in the dog house super fast. Look at some of the crazy Drama we've experienced with Junior Gallette, Akiem Hicks, Jimmy Graham, Darren Sprolles, and Michael Thomas. The guy can be super petty and we all know it.

2. It was the Saints defense that won the Super Bowl in 2009/10. Don't forget the Vikings were in field goal range when Favre threw that interception.

3. You want it? We'll give it to you! Anything Sean wanted, he got. Ownership gave him a blank check and even paid him handsomely during the bountygate season.

4. Drew BREES! Sean Payton would not be Sean Payton without Drew Brees and we know the same can be said for Brees. Sean never developed another quarterback. Instead, he got lost in the quandary of a gimmick of Taysom Hill. Jameis looked pretty good this year but still wasn't making calls at the line AND was often running for his life.

5. Referees. Say what you want, but Payton talked a lot of trash. He's been talking trash for a while and causing the league offices to target him. KC is small market team, they won the SB and haven't had the drama we've had.

6. Fanbase. We are the best fans and he will NEVER find any better.
One other thing about that Viking game...on that interception Favre threw, he took a late shot that should have been called for roughing the passer which would have negated the interception & handed the Vikings a chip shot field goal. Game over,no super bowl.

I think the blank checks with Drew and Sean may have caused some issues. I do think the initial plan was for Drew to retire in 2019 and Teddy to take over but Drew changed his mind. That led to another rolling contract that we will be paying for another year. If Sean was worried about life after Drew he should have officially made last year his last one. In hindsight, maybe there was a little too much hands-off by Loomis regarding the future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom