Sean Made a Mistake by Leaving (1 Viewer)

One other thing about that Viking game...on that interception Favre threw, he took a late shot that should have been called for roughing the passer which would have negated the interception & handed the Vikings a chip shot field goal. Game over,no super bowl.

And if an NFL official doesn't blow and obvious PI call, Payton takes this team to another Super Bowl and maybe wins it. We could play this game of if this or that happened all day long. Every team that wins the SB has things that go their way. But, the fact is that Payton was a great HC and Super Bowl winning HC. Probably a HoF head coach. He did a great job while here and just because people are hurt because he decided to leave doesn't change that.

It's ok to be sad OP.....and angry, which you appear to be here....

That 2009-10 SB defense was in large part due to CSP getting Greg Williams here. He knew they needed changes on the defensive end of things and he made it happen.

After a few bad seasons CSP realized player personnel wasn't something that he was very good at....in comes Jeff Ireland in 2016.....our drafts improve dramatically and we have such a good core of young players we can't afford some of them on a 2nd contract.

Does he have an ego? Of course he does....but he also realizes when things aren't working (recognizing he may be part of the problem) and he is willing to back off and find folks that are better at it....

Had Jim Mora had that mindsight we probably would have won a SB with him.....

Criticize him all you want and some may be warranted but he is the best coach the Saints have ever had by a longshot.....

That's just not true. He developed Tony Romo and Brees went from a good QB to a HoF QB with Payton. He also developed Chase Daniel into a competent backup and sometime starter and he actually turned Taysom Hill into about an average NFL QB which was no easy feat. And, he had already stopped Winston from being a turnover machine when he left.

And, when you have a HoF QB, it's not like the QBs sitting behind them get a chance to play and be good. Still, several of the guys who sat behind Brees went on to be solid NFL backups. And, given that we never spent a high pick on a QB, that's not bad at all.

Finally, I think if you asked Brees, he would tell you that Payton was a big part of his success. And, all this ignores how innovative he was on offense. Things that are now taken for granted in the NFL started with Sean Payton. i.e. three level passing routes, bunch formations to throw the ball, big guys in the slot, TEs down the seams, etc.
Kerry Collins
Kerry.
Collins!

He spent 15 seasons and 16 years with the Saints. To find someone that has spent that much time with one team that’s not BB you have to go back to the 60s and 70s.
He did the right thing by cashing out right now. Even if he fails in his next coaching job, he’ll still get into the Hall based on his time with the Saints.
His legacy is safe.

Dude has serious coin in his bank account. I'd move to the islands and retire forever . Or work one day a week like Jimmy Johnson and fish , golf, etc etc
In closing, I'd never work again. Life is short people...you can't take the money with you. ....live it up Sean!!!!

I read somewhere that Archie Manning connected Payton’s decision to Parcell’s philosophy of not over staying your welcome in one spot. I wouldn’t doubt Payton, like a lot of us here, knew that when Brees hung them up it was the end of an era. He just felt it was time to step away and recharge his batteries. He’s earned that.

Yes, as a fan it stinks to lose a HoF caliber coach. We’re facing more unknowns than we’ve had since 2006. But I don’t fault Payton. We all need a break. He may fall in love with doing tv and never coach again or he’ll be back in 23. We don’t know. Either way I’ll always be grateful for what he did for the team and city. Just the right guy to the right time and that is incredibly rare.

16 years at one job, yeah I think we can all relate to wanting change that's only human. He was ready for change.
I was looking at list of longest tenured headcoaches only 10 in history of NFL have stayed at one place longer than Payton. 4 or 5 of those are from the real old days of the NFL.

I think tv is on his mind. It's crowded territory at the moment however. I can't even imagine how badly the Miami Monday night madness episode stuck in his craw. The penalty numbers were absurd. IF you can put that kind of stuff aside it was the perfect fit. That will be elusive.

1. No respectable human being alive could've made the Galette situation any better. Holdover from GW's time who apparently has/had head problems. Graham was too soft to handle life in the NFL and threw away a potential HOF career by putting the team in arbitration. Payton already admitted he let Sproles go a bit too early, as he did with M. Jenkins. MT13? He waited too long to have surgery. Damaged his career with his own poor decision.

2. It was the Saints offense that got the team to the promised land and its defense that rode a wave of takeaways to the Super Bowl. Looking back on it, it's amazing we got there with a not-stout defense that relied on takeaways.

3. Of course he was paid handsomely -- he was under contract. Duh.

4. *sigh* Walsh would've been a failed coach without Montana, Belichick the same without Brady............*yawns*

5. The best coaches in professional sports know how to try to work the refs. We got the result we got in 2018 because of GODdell, pure and simple.

6. Your only solid point :)

in his interview he said he regrets not being friendlier to the media when he started. i'm sure he thinks the same about officiating. had they not said much we wouldnt have such bad calls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom