Sean McVay vs Sean Payton (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
How did it come to Sean McVay being the coach who’s disciples everyone wanted to hire as opposed to Sean Payton? Sure Payton has lost some guys to coaching gigs elsewhere (mainly college), but not so much in the NFL.

McVay has had a high powered offense for two years, while Sean is going on year 13 of having a top 2 offense. What gives?

They have to have something to talk about. God forbid, the old coach wins...

Don't forget, like the Eagles, the Rams are out for "revenge"....

This is what playoff football is all about, great coaching and great players. Having already played this is going to be a great matchup that has to ultimately come down to defensive stops.

Sean Payton is the second-most respected coach of the four left. Anyone who says McVay has anything on Sean Payton is just trying to be controversial. There’s no basis for it.

How did it come to Sean McVay being the coach who’s disciples everyone wanted to hire as opposed to Sean Payton? Sure Payton has lost some guys to coaching gigs elsewhere (mainly college), but not so much in the NFL.

McVay has had a high powered offense for two years, while Sean is going on year 13 of having a top 2 offense. What gives?
McVay is the new bright and shiny object in the room. So everyone wants what he has. The problem with that is that it isn't his scheme (which is what many GM's basically want) that has the Rams being successful.

IMHO, the most successful coaches build a culture within the organization. Do you all remember when Payton first took over and he went into the locker room and found a 'lazy boy recliner in front of Wayne Gandy's locker. He asked "did we buy this for him or did he? Team says Gandy bought it. Payton's responds, "then take it out of here, put it by his car, and tell him if it's still here tomorrow, we'll throw it away." Then Gandy was traded away.

This set the tone for the culture Payton wanted in the organization. Stuff like letting vets have recliners was the old Saints (Haslett) way...not the new Saints way.

Also look at Dabo Swinney and how hard those players play for him and how much they love him. That is a culture thing...not a play calling/scheme thing.

If as a GM or owner of an NFL team, you are looking for a coach that has all kinds of new cool plays for your team 9/10 you will be looking for a new coach in 3 years.

(stepping down from soapbox)

Z

Sean Payton is the second-most respected coach of the four left. Anyone who says McVay has anything on Sean Payton is just trying to be controversial. There’s no basis for it.

Agreed.
While I think McVay is a visionary like Payton, he will need to do it for a long time to be on that level imo.

Or win a few Super Bowls to quickly ascend to the top.

Sean Payton and the saints offense revolutionized football. They were high powered offense before but none that put up numbers like the saints. People dont give credit to Payton because its was seen as Finesse football when coming out and was unconventional. And everyone was on manning jock. But many teams around the league try to emulate Payton's scheme. After 2006 you'll also start noticing an uptick in small coverage linebackers and coverage strong safties trying to defend it.

Mcvay wants to be Payton. You can see the offenses are actually similar.

Last edited:

Everyone is enamored with the colllege spread QB because of Mahomes, Goff, Watson, and even to a degree Mayfield. McVay has had success thus far and that seems to be what teams are leaning towards as opposed to the traditional. Traditionally college spread QBs haven’t planned out in the pros. I still feel Mahomes and Goff are exceptions and not the rule.

Marrone and Allen both had multiple jobs and failed.

Carmichael has interviewed for multiple jobs I think he gets shut out due to the other 2 and being in Payton/Brees shadow along with his personality I guess

Kromer, Lamboradi and others have gotten Coordinator positions. Campbell to is a hot canadidate

The thing is we’ve kept most of our guys in house besides some of the above listed names or they’ve left and returned etc. Besides the much needed blowup 3 years ago that should’ve took place yrs sooner

You guys can't have it all ways.

Who is better in your opinion:

McVay or Payton?

Goff or Brees?

Woods/Cooks or Thomas?

Gurley or Kamara/Ingram?

Rams D or Saints D?

Your guys' general consensus answers to these questions are all in favor of the Saints - and yet somehow both teams went 13-3, and the game we played was tied in the fourth quarter in New Orleans.

I think it has to do with the tree each of them came from. Sean Payton came from the Parcells tree, and that is who everyone was attributing the success to. (i.e. he learned everything he knows from Bill. I think this is wrong thinking, but that is what I think happened)

NOONE is giving Jay Gruden credit for Shanahan and McVay coming from him, so they attribute the success to those coaches and their asst's are now getting hired.

Ye of little faith. Everytime I go to Colorado, I write a post on SR that McVay is Sean Payton's hidden son. One day I will be known as a savant, or end up in a house for the mentally insane lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom