Sean Payton’s Tenure Is Reaching A Historic Pace (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it’s getting lost on people that Payton’s tenure as Saints HC is reaching a historic level. He’s coached for 14 seasons, signed until 2024, and if Jameis works out he may be here for the entire 20s.
Add to that, he’s getting closer to the 200 win mark. Every coach (the one without a championship) with 200 wins has made the HOF.

Just based on who has previously gotten into the HOF, I think Payton is inching closer and closer to a shoe in.

Most notably Marv Levy with the exact same number of wins (143) but Payton way ahead in winning pct (.638 vs .561) and of course a ring.

He'll pass Cowher in wins this season and has a better winning pct (.638 vs .623).

When all is said and done, I think Payton finishes 6th all time in career wins with over 250.

Last edited:
Here's another one, Payton has chance to join rare company, winning alot of games with two different quarter backs.

Only coach i can think of to do that is Andy Ried. He won Big with McNabb, had a decent amount of wins with Alex Smith and if he stays on long enough win a ton with Mahommes.

Here's another one, Payton has chance to join rare company, winning alot of games with two different quarter backs.

Only coach i can think of to do that is Andy Ried. He won Big with McNabb, had a decent amount of wins with Alex Smith and if he stays on long enough win a ton with Mahommes.
Didn’t Landry win two with different QBs?
I know Gibbs won three Super Bowls with different QBs.

Didn’t Landry win two with different QBs?
Don Meredith and Roger Staubach were the main two. Craig Morton had a few seasons sandwiched between those two. After Staubach, Danny White guided a solid Cowboys team throughout most of the 80s.

EDIT: Oh ... two titles. Landry won SB VI and XII with Staubach. Morton was the starter for SB V, but Dallas lost that one to the Colts.

As others have said, this is the true test right now finding his post-Drew QB. If he can maintain the same level of success with Jameis or Taysom, he will put himself in rare company. Oh, I think you guys forgot about Bill Walsh.

I think it’s getting lost on people that Payton’s tenure as Saints HC is reaching a historic level. He’s coached for 14 seasons, signed until 2024, and if Jameis works out he may be here for the entire 20s.
Add to that, he’s getting closer to the 200 win mark. Every coach (the one without a championship) with 200 wins has made the HOF.
Dan Reeves led 4 NFL teams(3 Broncos, 1 Falcons ) to SB's and has over 200 career NFL HC wins and nearly two decades after his retirement, had yet to be inducted into the HOF. He did actually win two SBs, one as a player(.SB VI) and as an assistant coach with Dallas(SB XII), but none on his own merits leading an NFL team.

Dan Reeves led 4 NFL teams(3 Broncos, 1 Falcons ) to SB's and has over 200 career NFL HC wins and nearly two decades after his retirement, had yet to be inducted into the HOF. He did actually win two SBs, one as a player(.SB VI) and as an assistant coach with Dallas(SB XII), but none on his own merits leading an NFL team.
I think if Payton can turn Winston's career around, or alternatively do it with another QB, people will see him as QB/offensive guru and he's almost certain to get in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom