Sean Payton’s Tenure Is Reaching A Historic Pace (1 Viewer)

Its an achievement no doubt to win Superbowls with two different quarterbacks,

But to do what Ried has done, win over 90 games with McNabb, win 40 something with smith and be on pace to win over 90 with Mahommes as starting QB is a spectacular feat
I have to agree with you. I also would add that some of Reid’s success is due to some great timing. McNabb was a stud and somewhat of a new type of QB. Granted that Cunningham was really the first true threat as a running QB McNabb was a threat to run but could also make some unbelievable passes. Having Mahommes fall into your lap in like having manna fall into your mouth.

I don't understand why CSP keeps getting linked to the Cowboys. He has no significant ties there. He's not from that area; he didn't win a SB there. He's not especially close to anyone still there. His ex-wife and kids are there, but his kids are of the age to move out and make their own way; and there's no signs that a reconciliation with the ex is a possibility (although anything is possible behind the scenes).

CSPs only other SB experience (before NO) was as the QB coach for Kerry Collins and the NY Giants against the Ravens. CSPs ties are to Bill Parcells. It was his first OC gig and he developed UDFA Tony Romo for the Cowboys org. CSP was so trusting of Parcells that he turned down an offer to be HC of the Raiders, based on Parcell's advice. That's "loyalty to Parcells", not loyalty to the Cowboys, such as Cowboy fans love to speculate.

Maybe it's speculation of the $$$ the Cowboys could throw at him. But CSP is already one of the highest paid coaches in the league, and appears to be appropriately respected and appreciated by the organization writing those checks. Maybe it's speculation that an ego-driven coach, such as CSP, wants to prove his pedigree and fluff his ego by taking the Cowboys job and restoring them to prominence & glory. But again, that's Cowboy fans' "vanity thinking." CSP can accomplish the same thing in NO by keeping the Saints competitive with a new QB, or even returning to the SB, after the retirement of one of the best QBs to ever play in the NFL. Contrary to Cowboy fans' thinking, that just may be an even bigger and more glorious accomplishment than coaching the Cowboys to respectability.

The Cowboys org may look at CSP as the "one who got away", but it's unrequited, IMO.

I have to agree with you. I also would add that some of Reid’s success is due to some great timing. McNabb was a stud and somewhat of a new type of QB. Granted that Cunningham was really the first true threat as a running QB McNabb was a threat to run but could also make some unbelievable passes. Having Mahommes fall into your lap in like having manna fall into your mouth.
Some NFL historians, commentators have argued that Fran Tarkenton, Steve Grogan early in his career until his leg injury hurt his mobility in the early 80's, and Steve Young were probably the first real dual-threat QBs who could hurt or bend defenses by running or scrambling or passing for 350 yards and 3 TDs, in same games and in Tarkenton and Grogan's cases, they were bending NFL DC's gameplans a full decade before Randall Cunningham debuted for the Eagles in 1985.

IMHO, Steve Grogan was the Steve Young of his generation, he was just as fearless, and caution-verse in some of his risky, often dangerous scrambles, or madcap runs through defenses.

Yes very true statements

Reid had Smith for a few seasons and still won about 10 to 11 games a year.

I think Smith could’ve been a really good QB if not for the injuries. Talk about a bad streak of luck..
Not just that, but the QBs that followed him were successful right after.
Harbaugh let Smith go for Kaepernick and they went to the Super Bowl and Mahomes is looking like a lock for the HOF.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom