Sean Payton’s Tenure Is Reaching A Historic Pace (1 Viewer)

I know he didn't win, he played in one.

I was talking about Shula coaching more than one good quarterback to championships .
Lol. So they start talking about coaches who won Super Bowls with two different QBs. Then you respond with an example that doesn’t meet those criteria. Then you say you knew that and were talking about something else. Lol

I think it’s getting lost on people that Payton’s tenure as Saints HC is reaching a historic level. He’s coached for 14 seasons, signed until 2024, and if Jameis works out he may be here for the entire 20s.
Add to that, he’s getting closer to the 200 win mark. Every coach (the one without a championship) with 200 wins has made the HOF.

And what is the historic pace? Will he be the fastest to 200?

The greatest fact about SP is that he is only 57 years old, which is pretty young compared to the competition!

he can destroy all the coaching records while all the others are long gone by

Lol. So they start talking about coaches who won Super Bowls with two different QBs. Then you respond with an example that doesn’t meet those criteria. Then you say you knew that and were talking about something els

Lol. So they start talking about coaches who won Super Bowls with two different QBs. Then you respond with an example that doesn’t meet those criteria. Then you say you knew that and were talking about something else. Lol

I responding to the thread as a whole , if you recall that guy responded to a post that said

" Here's another one, Payton has chance to join rare company, winning alot of games with two different quarter backs.

Only coach i can think of to do that is Andy Ried. He won Big with McNabb, had a decent amount of wins with Alex Smith and if he stays on long enough win a ton with Mahommes. "

I was saying Shula has won with 2 special QBs. A Super Bowl with Greise and got to another one with Marino.

But you go ahead an interpret whatever makes you feel good about yourself

He’s becoming one of the longest tenured coaches with one team.
Payton & Tomlin are within a year of each other, maybe even same season? And Belichick. Those 3 are current leaders for tenure, I believe. A strong argument for consistency at the top, IMO. Saints, Steelers & Patriots are annual contenders for post-season. Can't ask for much more than that, as an owner or a fan. Every year, you have a chance...

EDIT: I got curious, and found this article from last May.
Got the 1st 3 right, check out 4-6. Interesting, because ALL 6 of these teams/coaches are perennial playoff threats. The other thing that stands out to me is that once you get outside of the top 7 (3 of the top 10 have been fired), the remaining 25 coaches have 4 years or less of tenure. I suppose one could argue correlation vs. causation, but the fact is that the top 6 coaches are in the playoffs way more often than not. With that knowledge, I'd like to keep CSP in the Saints org for as long as he wants to be here.

I'd like to also go on record that I think he's about to have an OUTSTANDING season, perhaps even COY caliber. Payton's on record as saying his 1-year suspension re-energized him. And it showed, IMO, leading to our historic run over the last 4 seasons. More wins than any other team, despite not being able to kick the door in to the SB. He's about to face a challenge he hasn't seen since his first season in 2006....and I think this will re-energize him too. But this team is a lot more talented and deep than that 2006 team. And while 31 other teams knew what to expect from CSP and DB9 after 14 seasons together, 2021 is a wild card...yet another advantage for CSP to exploit.

I'm not expecting it, but I also won't be surprised if a re-energized CSP and Saints team finds a way to kick that SB door completely off its hinges...

Last edited:
He’s not a HoF coach yet. Look at the HoF list of 1SB winning coaches: Madden, Dungy, Cowher, Ditka, Gilman, Stydahar. It’s a small list and most 1SB coaches don’t make the cut.

Look at the list of active 1SB coaches: Tomlin, Payton, Reid, Harbaugh, Carroll, Arians, Gruden, Pederson, McCarthy.

Not all of these guys are getting into the HOF. Only one has been suspended for 1yr making the bar for Payton higher than anyone else on the list.

edit: added Ped and McC

Last edited:
He’s not a HoF coach yet. Look at the HoF list of 1SB winning coaches: Madden, Dungy, Cowher, Ditka, Gilman, Stydahar. It’s a small list and most 1SB coaches don’t make the cut.

Look at the list of active 1SB coaches: Tomlin, Payton, Reid, Harbaugh, Carroll, Arians, Gruden, Pederson, McCarthy.

Not all of these guys are getting into the HOF. Only one has been suspended for 1yr making the bar for Payton higher than anyone else on the list.

edit: added Ped and McC
Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid aren't automatic locks, but by the time their respective HC careers are done, their total amounts of wins alone, regardless if they win another SB or not. Right now, Mike Tomlin has more wins as a Steelers HC then his predecessor, Bill Cowher, and Cowher's in the HOF, and their respective career trajectories are very similar, except Tomlin has more overall wins.

It would take a very creative, somewhat intellectually disingenuous set of arguments made by a few, key influential sportswriters who may have a personal.vendetta against Reid himself, to consistently justify every year once HOF voting consideration came around keeping him out. Reid's overall wins, his accomplishments, his coaching tree---it's too impressive, too large and extensive and one would be risking their own credentials as a sportswriter trying to minimize what he's done.

Sorry, right now, in my estimation, Reid and Tomlin are the closest things to sure future HOF HC inductees. Payton, is a few steps behind him, plus he has some baggage with Bountygate, and his long-running personal/professional hatred and mutual dislike for Roger Goodell might disway a few voters. The more wins Payton gets, the better his chances are.

John Harbaugh, has a bit of an opening, and if Lamar Jackson keeps playing at such a high, phenomenal MVP-caliber level for next 5-10 years, that'll bring a lot of wins, division titles, maybe even another a SB appearance or two, it all largely depends on the health and long-term durability of Lamar Jackson. If Harbaugh has another 3-4 10+ win seasons or more, it puts him in the "heavy grey" borderline category, sort of the place where Cameron Jordan's chances might be of being a future HOF player.

Mike McCarthy will likely end up in the Hall of Very Good HCs, once his coaching prospects are over and his wins, accomplishments begin to be critically evaluated, analyzed more in-depth. He left about maybe 5-10 wins on the table due to his over-inflated ego, stubborness, temper in demanding Rodgers do his way, not realizing that once Rodgers stopped listening to him and ignoring him outright, he was far more likely to lose his job and be hounded out of Wisconsin. In Dallas, he's just a hired hand with a lot less personnel authority or imput on potential trades, draft class considerations and picks and control over his own coaching staff.

And to think he lost an entire season due to a suspension. I’m going to fight Goodell one day.
Even though he doesn't know I exist, I will always consider Roger Goodell my nemesis.

And you may want to get on that fight soon. He's already 62. You wait much longer and it's no longer "fighting Roger Goodell" instead of "beating up an old man"

The year before Shula went to Miami he won Super Bowl V with Johnny Unitas as the starter for the Colts. Unitas was injured in the game and Earl Morral came in for him. It was the sloppiest Super Bowl ever as both teams combined for a dozen turnovers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom