Sean Payton acknowledges that the Saints are taking a measured approached to free agency (1 Viewer)

60minutes

Camp Body
Reaction score
Payton said Wednesday morning he understands how fans can be in a bit of a panic seeing the high-priced free agents fly off the board in the first hours the period opens as the Saints sit tight making no moves. Payton pointed out how the Saints have a history of finding their best values where there's a need for the team.

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton reiterates team taking slow approach in free agency | NOLA.com

Off the record, Sean added that none of the teams who won the free agency championship were crowed in February!:ezbill:

Hell we had what I thought was our best free agency period ever (not counting the signing of Brees in 06) last season and we all saw what happened. And most of the help was on the defensive side of the ball.

We do this every year you'd think some folks should expect this.

tumblr_mdoz1yFrE81qfm386o1_400.jpg

some people need this every offseason...

Hell we had what I thought was our best free agency period ever (not counting the signing of Brees in 06) last season and we all saw what happened. And most of the help was on the defensive side of the ball.

Best values where there is a need? On offense, that is true. On defense, it is ridiculous. They have been trying to find values for years to no avail, except for Sharper. If they believe they can keep basically the same players, turn them into a 3-4, and mold a championship defense so be it. I hope so but right now I am skeptical. Time will tell.

I guess most of us were just expecting some changes on d and we want brees protected better.. Obviously Sean p wasn't there last year but brees was rushed and hit more last year than previous ones... Protection and wr separation was down last year. If you stay still in this world you are being left behind... Everyone is trying to move forward

I guess most of us were just expecting some changes on d and we want brees protected better.. Obviously Sean p wasn't there last year but brees was rushed and hit more last year than previous ones... Protection and wr separation was down last year. If you stay still in this world you are being left behind... Everyone is trying to move forward

Yeah, Payton probably didn't even bother to watch any of the games from last year. Too painful for him. He probably just assumed everyone played the same way they did in 2011 and thinks that will be plenty good enough this year.

Who good signed a bunch of people?

This is exactly the thought process coach was referencing. He's basically saying that they are being patient. They aren't going to overpay for someone who won't help the team much more than someone they can get a day or so later, for a lower price. Just because we aren't making a 'splash' in free agency doesn't mean we won't make any moves at all. We just need to be patient. We will most certainly try to fill a few holes through FA.

Yeah, Payton probably didn't even bother to watch any of the games from last year. Too painful for him. He probably just assumed everyone played the same way they did in 2011 and thinks that will be plenty good enough this year.
There was so much sarcasm dripping from this response that some of it fell on my desk.

:covri:

We do this every year you'd think some folks should expect this.

Agreed, but I understand why people wanted more. We were so bad on defense no one trusts that a couple of added pieces and a new coach will be enough. They wanted it blown up.

I can't fault people for that way of thinking, even if I don't agree with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom